🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Coral, have you packed up yet? Been thinkin bout you.

Today was a sea day! I had a lazy day. We had a CC gathering today in Skywalkers with a great turn out. We talked about our favorite excursions of the trip and just enjoyed seeing everyone together again. We have a great CC group on this trip. It has been great seeing everyone around the ship.

I have to say the passengers on this sailing have been amazing as well. Everyone on the ship seems polite. I never heard the amount of Canadians vs those from the US but I am guessing they maybe equal in numbers. We have a handful of kids that seem to be having fun as well. 

I did pack today. and lost track of time. I missed the last Rachel Cartwright lecture. I hope it is posted on the television soon.

Tomorrow is Victoria and I am off to Butchart Gardens via cruise ship excursion. It is Victoria Day in Canada and due to the holiday, I decided to do the cruise ship excursion as opposed to a private excursion or a cab. I really don't know what to expect. I do know there will be a huge parade in downtown Victoria. I have been the gardens every time in Victoria and I love them. 

I skipped formal night. This sailing had a "Dress to Impress night" the other day which is different than "formal night".

We had to fill out Canadian customs or immigration form the other day (don't remember which one). So that is done for Victoria which means we won't have to do it in Vancouver. This should speed things up in disembarking in Vancouver.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Coral said:

I skipped formal night. This sailing had a "Dress to Impress night" the other day which is different than "formal night".

Did they have a formal night on the cruise, or just the "dress to impress" nights?

44 minutes ago, Amy G said:

Did they have a formal night on the cruise, or just the "dress to impress" nights?

There were at 2 formal nights - the 13th and the 21st and then a Dress to Impress on the 19th which they suggested White and Gold. I didn't notice anyone in those colors.

Edited by Coral

22 minutes ago, Coral said:

There were at 2 formal nights - the 13th and the 21st and then a Dress to Impress on the 19th which they suggested White and Gold. I didn't notice anyone in those colors.

Thank you.  We are on the Crown in late July.

Our ship was supposed to clear at 9 and it was well past 9:30 when we did finally clear. I heard it was an immigration issue but no clue if that is correct.

I had booked the one excursion through Princess to Butchart Gardens. The weather said 0% chance of rain (at least what I looked at) and we walked off the ship and it was lightly misting. I had already packed my rain coat. The good news is by the time we got to the gardens - the weather was clear and actually beautiful. 

There was a parade in DT Victoria. We saw several race cars which I assume were related to the parade on the drive there and coming back, took longer than expected due to road closures. We had a good bus driver. Our tour included 2 hours in the gardens, I wish it was 3 hours. The gardens were sort of crowded due to the holiday. And we were past tulip season. Though there were plenty of flowers in bloom.

image.thumb.jpeg.96a141acc71d827ea54029be17abe762.jpeg

• Like 3

@Coral, beautiful pictures.  We have never been to the gardens.  You did the ship's excursion, right?  If so, did you have enough time at the gardens to take everything in?

**Oops, it looks like you were posting at the same time as I was asking.  Found the answers in your post.

Edited by Italy52
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral, beautiful pictures.  We have never been to the gardens.  You did the ship's excursion, right?  If so, did you have enough time at the gardens to take everything in?

I try to go to the gardens every time I am in Victoria. Yes - I did the ship's excursion, only because it was a holiday. Otherwise, I think there is a tour bus that picks up at the Empress hotel and goes every hour. I wanted to stay away from downtown Victoria (parade) so I avoided that. 

No - 2 hours is not enough at the gardens IMO. I always seem to come in May. I would love to come in the fall or over Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

I try to go to the gardens every time I am in Victoria. Yes - I did the ship's excursion, only because it was a holiday. Otherwise, I think there is a tour bus that picks up at the Empress hotel and goes every hour. I wanted to stay away from downtown Victoria (parade) so I avoided that. 

No - 2 hours is not enough at the gardens IMO. I always seem to come in May. I would love to come in the fall or over Christmas. 

Or summer for roses.  I recall the roses (sort of as was a long time ago, but not in a galaxy far, far away).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Or summer for roses.  I recall the roses (sort of as was a long time ago, but not in a galaxy far, far away).

Or summer for roses! I have friends who were here in October and their pictures were stunning! Truly a beautiful place!

I sort of like tulips over roses but both are good 🙂 

Just now, Coral said:

Or summer for roses! I have friends who were here in October and their pictures were stunning! Truly a beautiful place!

I sort of like tulips over roses but both are good 🙂 

Interesting .. same with my wife. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Coral said:

One of my most favorite places, ever!

• Like 1

Hi Coral, I see from a ship tracker that you sailed on the west side of Vancouver Island from Ketchikan to Victoria.  Was that a surprise since the Princess booking maps show a route between Vancouver Island and the mainland in both directions?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Been to the gardens in spring, summer, and fall.  Each is my favorite.  😍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seattlecruiser said:

Hi Coral, I see from a ship tracker that you sailed on the west side of Vancouver Island from Ketchikan to Victoria.  Was that a surprise since the Princess booking maps show a route between Vancouver Island and the mainland in both directions?  

Hi - most of the time I would notice this but I was inside for most of yesterday and didn't pay attention to what side we were on. So this is news to me. Hopefully once my fellow cruisers who is more informed can post once they get home tomorrow. We have several from our roll call doing a B2B and maybe they can ask.

I have to say on this sailing - there have been very few announcements.

On a side note - I am in E721 and I think the thrusters are under my cabin. I can feel the vibration and when I was outside on my balcony the other day - I could see what I think are the thrusters working as water is disturbed right below me but not anywhere else when I look the length of the ship on my side. This cabin, otherwise is great (covered balcony/minisuite). I have sailed on many Grand Class ships in the last minisuite (E731) but this is the first time I have been in any other minisuite.

• Like 1

I want to say Happy Victoria Day to my Canadian friends and Canadians on CC.

At the beginning of my journey on this trip - I spent several wonderful days in Whistler, then Vancouver and I thoroughly enjoyed today in Victoria on Victoria Day. I also loved meeting my new Canadian friends on my roll call! I absolutely love British Columbia and can't wait to return. It was definitely a highlight of my trip.

I didn't see if the ship did anything today to acknowledge the day. The Wake Up show acknowledged the "coolness" of being in Victoria on Victoria Day.

Theresa

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Coral said:

Hi - most of the time I would notice this but I was inside for most of yesterday and didn't pay attention to what side we were on. So this is news to me. Hopefully once my fellow cruisers who is more informed can post once they get home tomorrow. We have several from our roll call doing a B2B and maybe they can ask.

I have to say on this sailing - there have been very few announcements.

On a side note - I am in E721 and I think the thrusters are under my cabin. I can feel the vibration and when I was outside on my balcony the other day - I could see what I think are the thrusters working as water is disturbed right below me but not anywhere else when I look the length of the ship on my side. This cabin, otherwise is great (covered balcony/minisuite). I have sailed on many Grand Class ships in the last minisuite (E731) but this is the first time I have been in any other minisuite.

I was in E730 once, same ship, and can absolutely vouch for the vibration, especially when the ship is docked in port.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I was in E730 once, same ship, and can absolutely vouch for the vibration, especially when the ship is docked in port.

Yes - I feel it right now and we are docked.