Guaranteed cabin booking and assignment

Sailing on the Oasis of the seas June 30th...and 1 of my cabins is a guaranteed cabin. My sailing is sold out...but no assigned cabin yet. With everything I'm hearing about RCCL overselling, I'm starting to get nervous. Am I over reacting?

Just now, AspiringCindy said:

Sailing on the Oasis of the seas June 30th...and 1 of my cabins is a guaranteed cabin. My sailing is sold out...but no assigned cabin yet. With everything I'm hearing about RCCL overselling, I'm starting to get nervous. Am I over reacting?

Yes.  

• Like 1

Yes, perfectly normal, no need to worry.

Have you tried the bar code trick to locate your cabin?

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

EDIT: My bad, you haven't even checked in yet. Try the above after you do, 45 days out.

Edited by OCSC Mike

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes, perfectly normal, no need to worry.

Have you tried the bar code trick to locate your cabin?

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

EDIT: My bad, you haven't even checked in yet. Try the above after you do, 45 days out.

I'm assuming I have to do check in at the 45 day mark first in order to get the Set sail. Check in is not until May 16th.

2 minutes ago, AspiringCindy said:

I'm assuming I have to do check in at the 45 day mark first in order to get the Set sail. Check in is not until May 16th.

Correct. See my edit. I didn't realize how far out you were when I first read your post.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AspiringCindy said:

If you use the bar code trick once you do get that set sail pass, you may well discover Royal has allocated the cabin but has not told.  That was true on my last two cruises (also sold out or maybe rare cabin popping up briefly).   Each of cabins stayed hidden in the barcode for 15 days, then each time right at 30 days before each cruise, the cabin number appeared in my app.  YMMV, of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AspiringCindy said:

You are over reacting. 

You picked a guaranteed room to save a few bucks. You will get your room assignment no later than day of departure. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind too that RC is making offers to people on oversold cruises - no one is getting cancelled against their will.  So unless they offer an alternative to you and you accept it, you will be on the cruise.

54 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Up to you to believe it, but some have reported being bumped without recourse (other than a refund).

I have not seen those reports recently nor did they pop for me with a search.  Were these reports on CC or elsewhere?  Recently?

Edited by Starry Eyes

14 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Were these reports on CC or elsewhere?  Recently?

Yes. It was probably within a week I think in one of the oversold threads. There were others over the years - very rare, but it probably does happen.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 6:03 PM, AspiringCindy said:

We are sailing on June 16, our sailing has been sold out. We just got our inside guarantee assignment today. 

20 hours ago, KiwiGal117 said:

Keep in mind too that RC is making offers to people on oversold cruises - no one is getting cancelled against their will.  So unless they offer an alternative to you and you accept it, you will be on the cruise.

That's good to know. 

I sail in about 37 days. I still have not received my cabin assignment. Still says GTY (with bar code trick).

Not worried at all. Worst case I show up is they put us up in a suite.. LOL!!

Pretty typical for GTY on popular or smaller vessels. I will probably see a room assignment within 15 days of sailing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sowhat said:

On Explorer  now, never received  cabin number until boarding  day at pier when booked  a GTY  balcony  cabin , the boat was also shown sold out in all cabin categories

This is rare but does happen. Hope you were OK with rolling with it. Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have not seen those reports recently nor did they pop for me with a search.  Were these reports on CC or elsewhere?  Recently?

I've only been her since the fall and I read of one.  
That example reservation had another cabin of a different type that Royal got pissy about changing to the new cruise.   You'd think they would look at how many cabins were booked on a reservation and what type before bumping people.   

We are four cabins of the same type.  Both families could easily change to a different cruise date, but it would have to be all or none on another cruise.  Our sail isn't until Feb, just thinking ahead.  

50 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I've only been her since the fall and I read of one.  
That example reservation had another cabin of a different type that Royal got pissy about changing to the new cruise.   You'd think they would look at how many cabins were booked on a reservation and what type before bumping people.   

We are four cabins of the same type.  Both families could easily change to a different cruise date, but it would have to be all or none on another cruise.  Our sail isn't until Feb, just thinking ahead.  

I remember that thread.  That poster booked an OV balcony and Royal wanted to move the to an inside on same ship; the poster never said what compensation was offered.  In any case, it seemed the inside was unacceptable to the poster so they negotiated a move to another ship.  So, they did have to leave that ship, moving to one departing from another port.  To each their own but personally I’d have negotiated for a great compensation package, and moved to the inside cabin rather than mess with  my extended family’s vacation.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2895315-oversold-gty-oceanview-balcony/

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I remember that thread.  That poster booked an OV balcony and Royal wanted to move the to an inside on same ship; the poster never said what compensation was offered.  In any case, it seemed the inside was unacceptable to the poster so they negotiated a move to another ship.  So, they did have to leave that ship, moving to one departing from another port.  To each their own but personally I’d have negotiated for a great compensation package, and moved to the inside cabin rather than mess with  my extended family’s vacation.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2895315-oversold-gty-oceanview-balcony/

I'd missed that one.  I was thinking of another one where it was a complete bump.   I remember the nanny had an inside cabin, and the wife had very limited dates that she could travel.  I think they got moved to the cruise the following week or very close in time.  

As I reported about Navi once, we booked last minute the day before departure, a GTY and found out the cabin # as we were unloading our luggage!  But it was a great last minute deal and cruise! They were Beta testing the Virtual Balcony cabins, we got one...we liked it!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I have 4 cabins booked for June 30th. We selected cabins for 3 cabins and was booked a year ago. I had to book the 4th cabin as a guarantee because I needed an additional cabin which we booked in November. It has to be all or nothing! I'm not leaving on a cruise with 2 of my 3 daughters if her guarantee gets cancelled! 

Edited by AspiringCindy
  • Like 1