santorini avoiding cable car

kitkat343

Hi, a RC cruise that is currently sailing was scheduled to visit Israel, and has been diverted due to the geopolitical situation.   They are visiting Santorini.  I thought in the past there were ferries to bypass the cable car/donkey situation - are any of them running or do you have any suggestions since these poor people already lost out on their dream cruise to the Holy Land.

From what I’ve read, the only way to avoid the cable car/donkeys is to take a ship excursion that offers R/T bus after taking their tender to the west side of the island. I booked Oia on Your Own for my cruise in Nov. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jlandz09 said:

Their website says they have no availability for the next three months. Does that seem right?

Maybe they just aren't taking reservations?  I can't recall if we booked ahead or not (I'm a planner) but do recall that you could just walk up and book a seat on the next boat leaving.  Their little shop is right at the base are of where our tender let us off.  Hope things work out for you.

• Like 2

Is it a kind of situation where everyone just immediately heads to the cable car without thinking about the boat because the cable car is cheaper?

Our plan is to do the Fira-Oia hike, but we're worried that we will not get an early enough tender ticket. For example, if we make it up to Fira and start the hike by 3, we could reasonable expect to be in Oia by 6-6:15 is my understanding. Problem is that we then need to make it back to Fira and my estimate is that we would need to be in line for the cable car by around 7 in order to feel assured we will make the last tender back at 8:30.

The alternative would be that we take the fast boat to Oia, explore Oia first, and then do the hike back to Fira instead. Downside here is that the hike is uphill when you do it in reverse back to Fira.

Just hate that so much is unknown and reliant on how early we can get off the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlandz09 said:

Our plan is to do the Fira-Oia hike, but we're worried that we will not get an early enough tender ticket. For example, if we make it up to Fira and start the hike by 3, we could reasonable expect to be in Oia by 6-6:15 is my understanding. Problem is that we then need to make it back to Fira and my estimate is that we would need to be in line for the cable car by around 7 in order to feel assured we will make the last tender back at 8:30.

Your day in port is going to obviously be a bit different but here's a bit of colour on the timelines we experienced to help with your analysis:

Looking back at my notes, the trip we did the hike, we arrived in Santorini at 2pm and sailaway was at 9pm.  We queued to get off the ship as early as possible so I think the wait for the cable car wasn't too bad; maybe 20-30mins(?).  I think we got to Oia around 6:15-6:30pm but probably could have gotten in earlier if we didn't linger at as many spots as we did along the hike.  We didn't have a lot of time in Oia before we felt we needed to head back.  There are quite a few pathways and viewpoints around Oia to explore.  And everyone jockeys for the perfect spot to watch the sunset.  On this trip, we only had time to explore a few parts but we didn't feel we missed out because we did a bunch of exploring and watched the sunset during our first visit.  

We took a bus back just after 7pm and it was packed, including people standing in the aisle.  Not the most comfortable trip.  Journey time was just under 30mins. After getting back to the bus station in Fira, we had to try to follow the signs (on walls and steps) back to the cable car (before making the decision to run down the donkey path in the dark because the queue was so long).  
I guess my suggestion is to try to leave yourself with enough time to get back, otherwise it can be somewhat frantic. 

• Like 1

At the tender dock you will find boats offering transportation to Oia. They sail after their boat is filled, so sometimes it takes some time. It is one way only. So either walk back  to Fira, get a local bus or cab. 

Going back to the ship is only  the cable car (often long lines so be there in time!) or walk down the donkey trail (can be slippery and not smelling nice).

• Like 1

The major problem with the OP's plan is transportation back from Oia (to Fira).  If you are going to use the bus (which does not run as often as one would expect) or rely on the availability of a last minute taxi at Oia, than one is running a risk of not getting back to Fira with enough time to get down to the tender pier.  Also keep in mind that even in Fira, the bus or taxi can not drop you right at the cable car station so you need additional time to walk (and hopefully not get lost).

My advice to the OP is to revise your plan so you have more time to get from Oia back to Fira.

Hank

• Like 1

I am thinking that they are not operating with online sales.

As the site mentions, this service is offered, according to demand, when cruise ships are arriving below Fira. 

I have always heard that they will depart for Ammoudi Bay once the boat is full.

Which, as mentioned, could take some time.

I just wish that we could hear from somebody, now that the cruise season has begun, that can verify that they did see this ferry boat operating!

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am thinking that they are not operating with online sales.

As the site mentions, this service is offered, according to demand, when cruise ships are arriving below Fira. 

I have always heard that they will depart for Ammoudi Bay once the boat is full.

Which, as mentioned, could take some time.

I just wish that we could hear from somebody, now that the cruise season has begun, that can verify that they did see this ferry boat operating!

On other social sites, it’s been verified that they are running the water shuttle to Ammoudi for 30 euros a person. They said it includes a bus back to Fira. YMMV but they were talking about it. I’ll be there 3 weeks from today, so we shall see. 

3 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

On other social sites, it’s been verified that they are running the water shuttle to Ammoudi for 30 euros a person. They said it includes a bus back to Fira. YMMV but they were talking about it. I’ll be there 3 weeks from today, so we shall see. 

o

Our advice has always been to use some common sense and have a Plan B in case the boat option is not promising.  You will not know, for sure, until you are actually on the pier.  If there is a boat, and it is pretty full, you are probably going to have a good experience.  If the boat is only partially full, you might want to have a chat with the operator about "when will you be leaving for Oia?."  

As to Plan B, for most that would mean taking the cable car up to Fira.  You can later walk to the main bus station and take the bus to Oia or grab a taxi from the adjacent (to the bus station) main taxi parking area.

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

or donkey 

As to Plan B, for most that would mean taking the cable car ^ up to Fira.  .

Hank

JB 🙂

50 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would buy you a Guinness if it would get you on one of those beasts.  :);  

Then you already owe me a pint, Hank.😛

And another for Julie - she deserves one, a donkey alongside her pooped on her leg while going up.

Everyone thought it was hilarious 🤣🤣🤣

Well, everyone except her 🤣

But you know that neither of us would touch that evil black Irish potcheen, it's the drink of demons, bananachs and banshees.😵  

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Then you already owe me a pint, Hank.😛

And another for Julie - she deserves one, a donkey alongside her pooped on her leg while going up.

Everyone thought it was hilarious 🤣🤣🤣

Well, everyone except her 🤣

But you know that neither of us would touch that evil black Irish potcheen, it's the drink of demons, bananachs and banshees.😵  

JB 🙂

A few years ago we also decided to ride those dreadful beasts.  Our two donkeys decided to race up the path, and my steed kept trying to drag my left leg along the rock wall (which would have resulted in a nasty abrasion).  I "encouraged" the animal to move towards the center but it was a battle all the way to the top.  And then we smelled like "Donkey" for most of the day.  While it can be fun, it is not something we recommend for most folks.

Hank

P.S.  Trying to picture you and Julie going up the path and the thought has me ROFL.  Would be worth buying a few pints to see the deed.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, kitkat343 said:

Hi, a RC cruise that is currently sailing was scheduled to visit Israel, and has been diverted due to the geopolitical situation.   They are visiting Santorini.  I thought in the past there were ferries to bypass the cable car/donkey situation - are any of them running or do you have any suggestions since these poor people already lost out on their dream cruise to the Holy Land.

Which ship was this?