Underwhelmed by the Mardi Gras

aml3679

7 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Smart move.  Enjoy the Jubilee, we won't sail on her unless she changes embarkation ports down the road.  Did Galveston once and that was enough, too much of a hassle to fly to.

Have four sailings currently booked on the Celebration, B2B's in September and January totalling 29 days.

Yeah the embarkation port has me concerned. 39 cruises and I have never sailed from there before. From reading it doesn’t seem to be the easiest port to get to.

4 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I was responding to your generalized posts, but I don't have to travel on the Excel Class to form an opinion.  Carnival's website tells me that the Excel staterooms are significantly smaller than the Vista.  And logic tells me that if Carnival is increasing space for upsell products (including shops, restaurants, lounges, etc.) plus adding fancy amenities like roller coasters elsewhere... something has to give.  (And BTW, a common architecture "trick" since the mid/late '00s is to use colors to make a small space feel bigger... and Carnival itself touts the colors used throughout the Celebration.)  And that something is almost undoubtedly the pool deck (e.g. space per passenger), theaters, etc. as this space has shrunk on every single class.

And no, the Excel Class did not step up the entertainment.  Per Saint Greg's website, the Mardi Gras introduced just one new production show, with three others being carried forward from older ships.  Again, Carnival's entertainment as a whole is underwhelming.  We did an 8-day Miracle cruise two years ago in which the sole entertainment in the theater was the Welcome Aboard show, three productions shows, Love & Marriage Game Show and the house band playing "one night only."  Any other cruise line would've brought on board magicians, hypnotists, destination experts, etc.  Not Carnival.  The cruise director and Fun Squad put on a heavily improvised show using office furniture as props that was actually pretty good and pretty bad at the same time, but deserved an A+++++ for effort.

We cruised RCL last year on the Allure and the entertainment had been scaled back from our other Oasis class sailings. I found the entertainment pretty good on Celebration except for the Circus show in Grand Central.

Grand Central is a great idea but the seating is not good. Who wants to get to a show an hour before it starts to get a seat where you can see the show.

6 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I was responding to your generalized posts, but I don't have to travel on the Excel Class to form an opinion.  Carnival's website tells me that the Excel staterooms are significantly smaller than the Vista.  And logic tells me that if Carnival is increasing space for upsell products (including shops, restaurants, lounges, etc.) plus adding fancy amenities like roller coasters elsewhere... something has to give.  (And BTW, a common architecture "trick" since the mid/late '00s is to use colors to make a small space feel bigger... and Carnival itself touts the colors used throughout the Celebration.)  And that something is almost undoubtedly the pool deck (e.g. space per passenger), theaters, etc. as this space has shrunk on every single class.

And no, the Excel Class did not step up the entertainment.  Per Saint Greg's website, the Mardi Gras introduced just one new production show, with three others being carried forward from older ships.  Again, Carnival's entertainment as a whole is underwhelming.  We did an 8-day Miracle cruise two years ago in which the sole entertainment in the theater was the Welcome Aboard show, three productions shows, Love & Marriage Game Show and the house band playing "one night only."  Any other cruise line would've brought on board magicians, hypnotists, destination experts, etc.  Not Carnival.  The cruise director and Fun Squad put on a heavily improvised show using office furniture as props that was actually pretty good and pretty bad at the same time, but deserved an A+++++ for effort.

You may want to re-think that first sentence. If you've not experienced it yourself, how can you have an informed opinion? You're just regurgitating others' opinions.

There is TONS of entertainment on the Excel class. Live music seemingly everywhere, multiple shows/comedians, etc. Take a look at the Fun Times that Jamman posted recently from the Celebration. I'd venture to guess they're twice as long as the Vista class.

• Like 6

I'll state my opinion as someone who's actually sailed on Mardi Gras, the entertainment and dining on the Excel class ships is on a much higher level than anything else we've sailed in the Carnival fleet. We've sailed on Spirit, Conquest and Vista class ships.

I read the post that started this thread and can only conclude that the original poster has used the word underwhelmed incorrectly.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hard_eight said:

You may want to re-think that first sentence. If you've not experienced it yourself, how can you have an informed opinion? You're just regurgitating others' opinions.

There is TONS of entertainment on the Excel class. Live music seemingly everywhere, multiple shows/comedians, etc. Take a look at the Fun Times that Jamman posted recently from the Celebration. I'd venture to guess they're twice as long as the Vista class.

3 hours ago, JimmyTheSaint said:

I'll state my opinion as someone who's actually sailed on Mardi Gras, the entertainment and dining on the Excel class ships is on a much higher level than anything else we've sailed in the Carnival fleet. We've sailed on Spirit, Conquest and Vista class ships.

I read the post that started this thread and can only conclude that the original poster has used the word underwhelmed incorrectly.

Note that I said the entertainment was underwhelming.  There may be more entertainment, but it's more of the same.  Carnival certainly hasn't 'stepped up its game' - as I mentioned, 3 of the 4 production shows on the Mardi Gras were recycled.  Carnival's product remains fairly consistent regardless of which ship you're traveling on -- supplemental entertainment presented during the off days of production shows is generally only available on special (re: Journeys) voyages, although it's become fairly standard on other cruise lines.  Again, Carnival delivers a great value but many aspects of its product are underwhelming.

6 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Grand Central is a great idea but the seating is not good. Who wants to get to a show an hour before it starts to get a seat where you can see the show.

People only line-up early when the entertainment is worth watching.  We just got off a DCL -- passenger count was just over 2,000 and the theater holds about 1,000 people and even with two showings, you had to stake out a seat about 45-60 minutes early.  On our Thanksgiving Carnival Miracle voyage, a few dozen people showed up to watch Getaway Island.  Sad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Since you don't like the Carnival product, sail on another line it's that simple.  I have sailed on every class of ship that Carnival has had since well before the Fantasy Class going back over 35 years.  The Excel Class is far and away the best class of ship with what is offered compared to the other classes in the line.  Have spent 28 days on the Mardi Gras and 5 on the Celebration with another 29 booked on the Celebration.  With all of the expanded food options, bar options, comedy show options compared to the other classes, it's not even close.  And the Celebration has raised the bar even higher than the Mardi Gras.  

I have also sailed on RCI, NCL, MSC, Princess and Celebrity, so I am very aware of what they offer versus what Carnival offers.  Once again, if you don't like the Carnival product, which I will assume you don't since the cabin size shrunk, move on.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, beshears said:

CrusinSusan70, you have responded to my question before. I see that you have done the Carnival Celebration. I know this is just YOUR opinion, was there anything in particular that you didn't like about this ship, and I understand it is a pretty large ship (people) as well.

No, there was nothing at all that we disliked about the Celebration.  As a matter of fact we currently have five future cruises booked on Carnival, 10 days on the Venezia and 29 days on the Celebration.  We thought the Celebration even raised the bar a bit compared to the Mardi Gras.

17 hours ago, beshears said:

CruzinSusan70, I just seen another posting by you. You mentioned about not doing the Jubilee because of Jubilee's embarkation area. I know the Jubilee has not come out as yet, and I DID think about it, but I remember years ago we went on another cruise line and it was a brand NEW ship, and I could not believe all the BAD that we found, as well as many people complaining not only on the ship, but even on our flight home, so I think until it has cruised a while, I probably will be staying away.

We didn't like cruising out of Galveston, that's why we won't do the Jubilee until she possibly changed embarkation ports. We did an 11 day repositioning cruise out of Galveston on the NCL Prima that ended in Miami.  The cruise was great, but flying into Houston, combined with an expensive transfer put a bad taste into our mouths.  I will assume that the overwhelming majority of people that cruise out of Galveston drive there.

12 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Yeah the embarkation port has me concerned. 39 cruises and I have never sailed from there before. From reading it doesn’t seem to be the easiest port to get to.

It's not.  It seems like it's great for those driving, but difficult to fly to.  You have two airports to fly into in Houston, Hobby or Bush. Travel time from Bush could be 90 minutes with heavy traffic.  And transfers are not as plentiful as Miami, FLL or PC so they are substantially higher price wise.

5 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Note that I said the entertainment was underwhelming.  There may be more entertainment, but it's more of the same.  Carnival certainly hasn't 'stepped up its game' - as I mentioned, 3 of the 4 production shows on the Mardi Gras were recycled.  Carnival's product remains fairly consistent regardless of which ship you're traveling on -- supplemental entertainment presented during the off days of production shows is generally only available on special (re: Journeys) voyages, although it's become fairly standard on other cruise lines.  Again, Carnival delivers a great value but many aspects of its product are underwhelming.

People only line-up early when the entertainment is worth watching.  We just got off a DCL -- passenger count was just over 2,000 and the theater holds about 1,000 people and even with two showings, you had to stake out a seat about 45-60 minutes early.  On our Thanksgiving Carnival Miracle voyage, a few dozen people showed up to watch Getaway Island.  Sad.

But you paid 3 times as much for your Disney cruise.  Hopefully you got your monies worth.  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

Another thing I would like to mention. It seems to me that you would lose the perspective of even being on a ship.  It's so big and it's made up in "neighborhoods".  On smaller ships you can see the ocean in places, even if it's through a window.  I love feeling of being at sea. I just seems to me you wod miss that on a mega ship.  

Does anyone else feel like this on a mega ship?

One thing that Carnival and NCL -- but NOT Royal -- have done is increase the amount of "ocean-facing" areas on their new-builds.   Both have incorporated "lanai" decks fairly close to the ocean (around Deck 5 or so) where you can dine or relax outside, weather permitting.  Royal has not done that, and frankly on my last few Royal cruises I've just felt like I was in a mall.  

On 5/15/2023 at 10:51 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

I would recommend the Vista Class for the Havana area.  It's the one thing that is better on the 3 Vista Class ships compared to the Havana area on the Excel Class.

This.  THIS.  A thousand times this.  🙂  

21 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I was responding to your generalized posts, but I don't have to travel on the Excel Class to form an opinion.  Carnival's website tells me that the Excel staterooms are significantly smaller than the Vista. 

Hmm, perhaps, but my two cruise-friends and I have sailed on the Vista AND the Mardi Gras and we didn't notice any serious decrease in the amount of space in the cabin...certainly nowhere near as serious as the doomsayers here had me believe.  

21 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

And logic tells me that if Carnival is increasing space for upsell products (including shops, restaurants, lounges, etc.) plus adding fancy amenities like roller coasters elsewhere... something has to give.  (And BTW, a common architecture "trick" since the mid/late '00s is to use colors to make a small space feel bigger... and Carnival itself touts the colors used throughout the Celebration.)  And that something is almost undoubtedly the pool deck (e.g. space per passenger), theaters, etc. as this space has shrunk on every single class.

If you had sailed on an Excel class, you'd be aware that there are three large publicly-accessible pools on the class...perhaps forgetting the Summers Landing pool on Deck 8?    And then there's the Serenity pool, the Loft 19 pool, and the postage-stamp "plunge" pool in the Havana area.   Doesn't sound like the pool-deck space "shrunk" at all.  

As others have mentioned, the entertainment on Mardi Gras might not be as glitzy as a Broadway show, but there is a lot of it.  Every time we turned around there was a string ensemble or a jazz ensemble or other musicians, and they were all quite good.  While the seating arrangement isn't ideal in Grand Central, the varying presentations there -- and that amazing digital wall -- really amp up the amount of things to do.   And, Carnival remains the best at sea for its onboard comedy shows, changing the comedians out once or twice during a sailing and bringing in new ones.   

Also, I'm not a regular habitue of piano bars, but I've enjoyed my occasional visits and the general consensus is that Carnival consistently has great piano entertainers.   

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

No, there was nothing at all that we disliked about the Celebration.  As a matter of fact we currently have five future cruises booked on Carnival, 10 days on the Venezia and 29 days on the Celebration.  We thought the Celebration even raised the bar a bit compared to the Mardi Gras.

Interesting.  What did you like better about the Celebration?  I actually prefer the Mardi Gras, mostly because of the expanded Emerill's, and Bar Della Rosa, Fortune Teller and Brass Magnolia bars.  I felt Carnival kind of cheaped out on the bars on the Celebration that replace these three.  

However, I totally agree that the Excel class has raised the bar and anyone who thinks it is the same old entertainment is way off base (not aimed at you, btw), and either hasn't sailed the Excel class or if they have, must have sat in their cabin for the entire cruise. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Interesting.  What did you like better about the Celebration?  I actually prefer the Mardi Gras, mostly because of the expanded Emerill's, and Bar Della Rosa, Fortune Teller and Brass Magnolia bars.  I felt Carnival kind of cheaped out on the bars on the Celebration that replace these three.  

However, I totally agree that the Excel class has raised the bar and anyone who thinks it is the same old entertainment is way off base (not aimed at you, btw), and either hasn't sailed the Excel class or if they have, must have sat in their cabin for the entire cruise. 

The wall above Emeril's on the Celebration with the CGI windows are doesn't exist on the Mardi Gras right? Just a wall there? (Been on Celebration...MG in Aug)

That was a cool place to get a drink from Alchemy and watch the digital show.

Edited by hard_eight

18 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Since you don't like the Carnival product, sail on another line it's that simple.  I have sailed on every class of ship that Carnival has had since well before the Fantasy Class going back over 35 years.  The Excel Class is far and away the best class of ship with what is offered compared to the other classes in the line.  Have spent 28 days on the Mardi Gras and 5 on the Celebration with another 29 booked on the Celebration.  With all of the expanded food options, bar options, comedy show options compared to the other classes, it's not even close.  And the Celebration has raised the bar even higher than the Mardi Gras.  

I have also sailed on RCI, NCL, MSC, Princess and Celebrity, so I am very aware of what they offer versus what Carnival offers.  Once again, if you don't like the Carnival product, which I will assume you don't since the cabin size shrunk, move on.

You're putting words in my mouth and making this personal.  I was responding to your perpetual argument that older ships are inferior as the Excel class is "game changing" and anybody who disagrees is afraid to step out of their comfort zone.  In general, older ships feature larger standard staterooms and less congested public spaces because cruise lines have learned to better monetize space.  Cruise fares have been falling for years... and in recent years, there's been the development of the "premium leisure" market -- a small faction of cruisers willing to pay more for larger cabins, dedicated lounges, dedicated pools, etc.  It makes zero business business for Carnival to give passengers more in their base fare -- the improved passenger space ratio is almost undoubtedly a result of an increase in dedicated space available to the few who are willing to pay for it.  

I have written several times that Carnival yields a great value, but it offers an underwhelming experience.  The Mardi Gras features the same menus in the MDR and entertainment program -- just more of it, since it's a larger ship -- as the rest of the fleet, but yet it's some how "game changing."  I honestly don't get it?  Quite frankly, when the headlining show is the bore fest Celestial Strings, I would hope that any new shows would be an improvement (of course, CS found its way on the MG and Celebration).  

Carnival's "cake station" is an example of its underwhelming product.  The cakes are attractive, tasty and well-liked, but they're also a significantly cheaper product to produce than the individual desserts offered elsewhere.  

Americans are generally mesmerized by newer & bigger but once the novelty of the Excel Class wears off, the short comings on the fleet will become more topicable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

You're putting words in my mouth and making this personal.  I was responding to your perpetual argument that older ships are inferior as the Excel class is "game changing" and anybody who disagrees is afraid to step out of their comfort zone.  In general, older ships feature larger standard staterooms and less congested public spaces because cruise lines have learned to better monetize space.  Cruise fares have been falling for years... and in recent years, there's been the development of the "premium leisure" market -- a small faction of cruisers willing to pay more for larger cabins, dedicated lounges, dedicated pools, etc.  It makes zero business business for Carnival to give passengers more in their base fare -- the improved passenger space ratio is almost undoubtedly a result of an increase in dedicated space available to the few who are willing to pay for it.  

I have written several times that Carnival yields a great value, but it offers an underwhelming experience.  The Mardi Gras features the same menus in the MDR and entertainment program -- just more of it, since it's a larger ship -- as the rest of the fleet, but yet it's some how "game changing."  I honestly don't get it?  Quite frankly, when the headlining show is the bore fest Celestial Strings, I would hope that any new shows would be an improvement (of course, CS found its way on the MG and Celebration).  

Carnival's "cake station" is an example of its underwhelming product.  The cakes are attractive, tasty and well-liked, but they're also a significantly cheaper product to produce than the individual desserts offered elsewhere.  

Americans are generally mesmerized by newer & bigger but once the novelty of the Excel Class wears off, the short comings on the fleet will become more topicable.

We get it, you want Cats and Wicked. 

Beat-a-dead-horse GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

12 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

We get it, you want Cats and Wicked. 

Beat-a-dead-horse GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

No, I want something that's coherent and enjoyable.  I'd bet the lion's share of people who see CS have no idea what's going on, me included.  Maybe I need to drink package to make sense of it? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

No, I want something that's coherent and enjoyable.  I'd bet the lion's share of people who see CS have no idea what's going on, me included.  Maybe I need to drink package to make sense of it? 

I thought Celestial Strings was very well done. Oh well we are all different. Maybe cause we are older, who knows.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

We really enjoyed the Latitudes, Golden Jubilee, and Bar 820 on the Celebration so if the bars on the Mardi Gras are even better, I'm even more excited about our cruise on the Mardi Gras in 6 weeks.

And yes, the Excel Class ships (well, at least the Celebration...I haven't been on the Mardi Gras yet) definitely is a big step up from any of the other Carnival ships I've been on.  Now, full disclosure, I have never been on a Vista class ship but I've been on every other class but Vista.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Since you have never actually cruised on one of the Excel Class ships your opinion is regurgitating second hand information.  It's similar to the Loyal Royals from RCI that bad mouth Carnival all of the time yet have never sailed on Carnival.

We will have to disagree regarding whether the Excel Class is game changing or not.  I have cruisee on every class of Carnival ship since the original Jubilee in 1986.  Have cruised over 50 times on 8 different lines, so I know what's out there for the most part.  Some lines are too expensive for us and some like Virgin intrigue us.  

Edited by CruizinSusan70

20 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Havana on Vista Class

Thanks.  We have a cruise booked on the Horizon in January 2024 so I'm looking forward to that one also.  From Excel to Vista class; I'm living the high life! lol

As for this thread in general, there have been a lot of good discussion; which is what makes Cruise Critic so valuable.  Then again also, per usual, there are some posters that make me wonder why they ever cruise on Carnival (this NOT directed at you at all). 

Some people seem to have nothing good (or very little good) to say about Carnival yet they love to come to the Carnival board to boast about how other lines are so much better than Carnival. 

They jump at the chance to list all they deem that's wrong with carnival whenever someone asks about a comparison with another Cruise lines.  And their list is usually quite long.  If all of those other cruise lines are FAR SUPIEROR to Carnival, why even bother to cruise on Carnival (just wondering out loud)?  You would think they'd just book an executive suite on their SUPERIOR line of choice.  I'm sure Carnival won't miss them.  Yet they continue to cruise Carnival so I guess they must just love throwing their money away.

Okay, wondering out loud is over.  Happy Sailing all! 

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 3

The beauty of cruising is the choices!

Want a small ship, sail on it. Want a big ship sail on it. I think each ship class has their own pros and cons. The Celebration is a beautiful ship, and love having so many food options. Love the Havana area on the Vista class. Love the small nooks on spirit class (Gasbys Garden on Miracle)

Funny enough though my favorite ship i have ever been on is Adventure of the Seas. (RCI)

I think overall Carnival is a good value for my vacation.  For some it is not.

I find the atmosphere on  Carnival very friendly and fun. Sometimes i want a little more of a relaxed vibe so I go with Princess. Still want to try VV or Celebrity but will still sail primarily on Carnival. People like what they like! No right or wrong. 

Going out of 2 ports i have never been out of over the next year. Maybe i will like those ports or maybe not but I'm still on a ship and that makes me happy.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, aml3679 said:

Don’t get me wrong, the ship is stunning. Our cabin was in the perfect location. The service was outstanding. The food was great. I think because the ship is so big, we miss the personalized feel we felt when we are on the Freedom in October. ..

We did not experience the main dining room, except for breakfast a couple of times. Our meals in the steakhouse and that Rudy Seagrill were amazing.

IMG_0962.jpeg

IMG_0961.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0954.jpeg

IMG_0953.jpeg

IMG_0952.jpeg

IMG_0951.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0935.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0930.jpeg

IMG_0913.jpeg

IMG_0907.jpeg

IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0878.jpeg

IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0832.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

Great pics..thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 5/16/2023 at 7:46 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

We didn't like cruising out of Galveston, that's why we won't do the Jubilee until she possibly changed embarkation ports. We did an 11 day repositioning cruise out of Galveston on the NCL Prima that ended in Miami.  The cruise was great, but flying into Houston, combined with an expensive transfer put a bad taste into our mouths.  I will assume that the overwhelming majority of people that cruise out of Galveston drive there.

This excited me because i love love love the Mardi Gras... what is about Celebration that you preferred?