New Ship v Older Ship

GSPG

I’ve been looking at a cruise on Aurora, but I’m concerned the experience won’t be the same as on a new ship.

I have been on Britannia in 2019 and Iona 2022, and both with no real issues of wear and tear with modern furniture, and what you would expect.

This sounds like a stupid comparison, but I don’t like staying in Travelodge’s because of the basic wood decor and fear staying on Aurora would feel much the same in the bedroom. I am probably wrong but feel like ships of 20 years ago were kitted out like this?

Can anyone describe their experiences of old v new ship? Are they two very different experiences or you wouldn’t know one from the other. I suppose this is aimed at more veteran cruisers who have a better handle of the change over times.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, GSPG said:

I’ve been looking at a cruise on Aurora, but I’m concerned the experience won’t be the same as on a new ship.

I have been on Britannia in 2019 and Iona 2022, and both with no real issues of wear and tear with modern furniture, and what you would expect.

This sounds like a stupid comparison, but I don’t like staying in Travelodge’s because of the basic wood decor and fear staying on Aurora would feel much the same in the bedroom. I am probably wrong but feel like ships of 20 years ago were kitted out like this?

Can anyone describe their experiences of old v new ship? Are they two very different experiences or you wouldn’t know one from the other. I suppose this is aimed at more veteran cruisers who have a better handle of the change over times.

Thanks

We found Aurora to be quite tired, even though we sailed on her fairly soon after a refit that included new carpets in the cabins.  The bathrooms are pink and look more like 80s styling than late 90s. If you opt for a standard balcony these are cut out of the ships side and, although glass fronted, they feel quite shaded because of this.

The public decks can feel a bit claustrophobic, as they have tried to cram too many venues into the smaller hull size.  The theatre, although quite spacious, has the most uncomfortable seats I have encountered on a cruise ship. However our view may be influenced because my wife uses a wheelchair, and the newer ships are much better for wheelchair users, with auto doors just about everywhere, and no raised lips on doorways to pose problems.

But the Medina restaurant, for freedom diners is very pleasant, as is the buffet restaurant and pre covid the food was excellent.

• Like 2

We have cruised on old tubs and new sparkly ships and could make a case for either, it is probably just down to personal choice. Overall we prefer the older more traditional ships and are willing to accept that they may not be perfect but hey ho. It is a bit like big v small ships. Our next P&O cruise is on Aurora and will be our first on her, we think she will suit as we have enjoyed the older ships that are now gone. I think the thing is to give it a try and try not to compare but just enjoy the experience. At least then you will know for future cruising. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GSPG said:

Thanks

My favourite ship is Britannia, Michelle's is Aurora... 

Not had the pleasure of the real big ones yet, but have tried all the others. 

We have had great cruises on both, but I struggle for the first few days on the older ships, getting used to dated decor, closed in spaces and a not fit for purpose TV. Michelle says this is all part of the charm... 

We also found previously that the better entertainment and staff seemed to be reserved for the newer ships? 

All that said, after a couple of days, I tend to adapt to a more sociable environment where the clientele seem much more friendly and Andersons on Aurora is probably our favourite place on any ship for a nightcap. 

A different experience, but both extremely enjoyable for us. 

Andy 

• Like 6

The cruise experience between the older ships and the newer ones can be quite different. We use and like both and, as others have said, there are pros and cons for both. 

I would summarise by saying that the differences fall under five main areas - modernity, facilities, passenger profile, itineraries and price. Taking each in turn;

Modernity - As terrierjohn has said, the older ships do feel quite dated now. My wife is also a wheelchair user and the older ships present more challenges, particularly with heavy doors out on to the promenade deck (the odd ones that are automated rarely work). Public areas are fine on both, but the cabins are where the age of the older ships really shows. On Aurora, we actually like the ‘cut out’ balconies that terrierjohn described as we don’t sunbathe and the extra shade can be useful, but these are on A and C deck. B deck balcony cabins are different and the same as on other ships. 

Facilities - The modern ships win hands down on this. There are far more dining options in particular. We love Aurora and have done our best cruises on her, but we don’t like Sindhu on her (open to the busy and noisy atrium) and we always miss the fact that there is no Epicurean on board. There is also no Live Lounge on the older ships. The older ships also don’t have a ‘retreat’ facility, for those who like them. 

Passenger Profile - Aurora and Arcadia have an average passenger age of around 75 and obviously these ships don’t have children on them. The average age on the family ships, especially in school holidays is, without exaggeration, around 30 years lower. Also, and I appreciate that this is contentious, but the ‘type’ of passenger is also very different. P&O are very much targeting the new ships at the ‘new to cruising’ market and cruises on them are priced to attract a wider demographic. This brings with it some issues that you don’t get on the older ships. Nothing major, but you can get some rowdiness and behaviours that you just don’t see on the older ships. Conversely, when we took our adult daughters on Arcadia they described it as a floating nursing home. They are really looking forward to Iona, whereas my wife and I are a little apprehensive! 

Itineraries - The older ships win hands down on this. Once you have done all the P&O usual ports of call, Aurora and Arcadia are the only ships that will get you to more interesting places that are too small for the newer mega ships. If, like us, you cruise primarily for the itineraries then this is a major consideration. However, if the ship is the destination (as it is for many these days) then the newer ships offer far more to do on board. 

Price - Aurora and Arcadia are very expensive compared to the newer ships. We are finding it quite easy to secure Select bookings in a balcony cabin on the newer ships for £100 pppn or less. As a rule of thumb, Aurora and Arcadia can be around 50% more expensive. 

In summary, I’d say it really boils down to what you want out of a cruise. Older and newer ships both offer great cruise experiences, but they are quite different. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Agree with all the above comments ,on a personal note we are quite prepared to have the decor of Aurora ,dated as the cabins look, for the whole experience aboard her. The facilities and dining choices etc on board Iona were excellent and we did enjoy our time on her ,however the same would have been said when Arcadia and Aurora were launched . It may be worth trying a short cruise on Aurora to see what you make of her?. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies.

I should have added that our son is in his twenties and has accompanied us on cruises, and a concern is he would find the differences even more stark. As with most youngsters he likes technology, so dated this and that ‘may be too much for him’.

We like both the old and new ships.  We have had great cruises on Aurora  and would go back on her anytime.  The newest ship that we have been on is the Star Princess and are looking forward to going on her again.

We were on Britannia's maiden cruise and  we enjoyed the cruise and would go on her again if the itinerary was right at the right time of year.

The smallest ship that we have been on was Canberra.

Edited by Josy1953

Obviously I prefer smaller, older ships as they are more friendly for solos. I also prefer adults only and a quieter, more laid back atmosphere, but then I am an old fogey! Hated Iona but she is more suitable for active, younger people and kids. Something for every taste and budget out there. 

• Like 1

@Fionboard not necessarily an old fogey, I also prefer a quieter atmosphere. I  sometimes wish that some of the more modern ships could have some adult only cruises outside school holidays.  The ridiculously high prices in school  holidays mean that some people need to take their children out of school in term time to afford a cruise for their family.

• Like 1

I can't compare older and newer apart from Azura, which isn't really in either camp. All I would say is that whilst the cabins on Aurora are not sparkly new and contemporary, in my experience they are kept well and in very good condition. Wardrobes etc are wooden-style finish but they were good quality when constructed and still look good in a 'classic' style. I do agree however that the bathrooms are very much dated but mine have all functioned perfectly well.

Interesting to see others' viewpoints here. As someone who now only cruises on the older ships, the only venue I feel is a bit claustrophobic on Aurora is Champions Bar, which I tend not to use. Most of her public rooms feel more 'classic' to me than dated but I do appreciate that others will feel differently.

• Like 2

We recently cruised on Iona and TBH was not looking forward to the cruise as thought the ship might be a bit too big for us. Our favourite ship was Britannia but was pleasantly surprised by Iona and enjoyed the ship. Good choice of venues be it for entertainment and food. Never felt like a big ship or overcrowded and is the only P&O ship where we could find a seat somewhere on the ship whatever the time of day or weather conditions

• Like 4

We were on the Aurora back in November / December. We are on her again in 10 days time

We were on Arvia 6 weeks  ago, and to be honest we were pleasantly surprised, it was so much better than we expected. (our cruise was during Easter Holidays).

We liked the modern décor, facilities, and the numerous choices of dining.

Its so difficult to compare because they are so different in many ways.

For me it is all about what you want, I prefer to have adults only, but you have to accept there is a premium for that.

Would I go on the Arvia / Iona again, yes.

On 5/11/2023 at 8:38 AM, Selbourne said:

The cruise experience between the older ships and the newer ones can be quite different. We use and like both and, as others have said, there are pros and cons for both. 

I would summarise by saying that the differences fall under five main areas - modernity, facilities, passenger profile, itineraries and price. Taking each in turn;

Modernity - As terrierjohn has said, the older ships do feel quite dated now. My wife is also a wheelchair user and the older ships present more challenges, particularly with heavy doors out on to the promenade deck (the odd ones that are automated rarely work). Public areas are fine on both, but the cabins are where the age of the older ships really shows. On Aurora, we actually like the ‘cut out’ balconies that terrierjohn described as we don’t sunbathe and the extra shade can be useful, but these are on A and C deck. B deck balcony cabins are different and the same as on other ships. 

Facilities - The modern ships win hands down on this. There are far more dining options in particular. We love Aurora and have done our best cruises on her, but we don’t like Sindhu on her (open to the busy and noisy atrium) and we always miss the fact that there is no Epicurean on board. There is also no Live Lounge on the older ships. The older ships also don’t have a ‘retreat’ facility, for those who like them. 

Passenger Profile - Aurora and Arcadia have an average passenger age of around 75 and obviously these ships don’t have children on them. The average age on the family ships, especially in school holidays is, without exaggeration, around 30 years lower. Also, and I appreciate that this is contentious, but the ‘type’ of passenger is also very different. P&O are very much targeting the new ships at the ‘new to cruising’ market and cruises on them are priced to attract a wider demographic. This brings with it some issues that you don’t get on the older ships. Nothing major, but you can get some rowdiness and behaviours that you just don’t see on the older ships. Conversely, when we took our adult daughters on Arcadia they described it as a floating nursing home. They are really looking forward to Iona, whereas my wife and I are a little apprehensive! 

Itineraries - The older ships win hands down on this. Once you have done all the P&O usual ports of call, Aurora and Arcadia are the only ships that will get you to more interesting places that are too small for the newer mega ships. If, like us, you cruise primarily for the itineraries then this is a major consideration. However, if the ship is the destination (as it is for many these days) then the newer ships offer far more to do on board. 

Price - Aurora and Arcadia are very expensive compared to the newer ships. We are finding it quite easy to secure Select bookings in a balcony cabin on the newer ships for £100 pppn or less. As a rule of thumb, Aurora and Arcadia can be around 50% more expensive. 

In summary, I’d say it really boils down to what you want out of a cruise. Older and newer ships both offer great cruise experiences, but they are quite different. 

Really good summary there Selbourne, and particularly like the smaller ships better itineraries v if the ship is the destination.

Not just from yours but with many other responses I have made a decision, and thank you everyone in helping me make this.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Really good summary there Selbourne, and particularly like the smaller ships better itineraries v if the ship is the destination.

Not just from yours but with many other responses I have made a decision, and thank you everyone in helping me make this.

You are welcome. When I talked about facilities, I said that there was no Live Lounge on the older ships. I meant to say Limelight Club. Have a great cruise. I’m sure that you will enjoy it, whichever ship you choose. 

My personal preference is for smaller ships, though as has been pointed out they tend to be more expensive for many reasons, but primarily because the 'fixed costs' are shared over less passengers.

Although I liked Iona, she is not really to my tastes.  There was too much of the air of a "shopping mall" about her.  The atrium, for example, looks far more like a modern shopping centre on land than the atriums of smaller ships.  The "Quays" food area is extremely like the fast food area of my nearest shopping centre.   I enjoyed the Epicurean, but to me having a large choice of places to eat is not really what makes a cruise.

My most recent cruise was on Cunard's Queen Mary 2, and I went to about three lectures every day.   In addition I went to the participatory session with the Royal Shakespeare Company, and joined the onboard choir.   One of my most enjoyable P+O cruises was music themed, and we guests were able to take part in a performance of the final shows, which were cut down versions of 'The Pirates of Penzance'.  In addition there were very high quality opera-trained singers and concert pianists.

So, for me, while the most important aspect of any cruise is the destinations, I like the sort of entertainment that I take part in.  For many cruises, the limit of that is quizzes, but I like more than that.
And, somewhat oddly, that seems to be concentrated on the older ships.  On the newer ships, it seems to be much more 'sit and watch this' entertainment.

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 1

Many people love Aurora and wouldn't sail on Iona or Arvia. However I would liken the experience of sailing on an old ship to that of an old car you don't have the mod cons and maybe not as comfortable and maybe more likely to have issues with engines and things that are likely on older ships. We came back from a cruise on Ventura, not as old as Aurora and one deck was flooded due to one of two things although we never found out which and that was a burst pipe or a swimming pool on an upper deck. suffice to say some passengers were moved to different cabins. There was an amount of 2,400 onboard and she holds around 3,000. Due to many problems occurred on Ventura we won't sail on her again. But if you have booked to go on her, please don't allow our experiences to put you off as we all have different expectations of how things should be. 

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread but what are opinions on Arcadia balcony cabins if I took a saver fare? Are they disastrous?  I've seen a saver deal on the 21 night Iceland, North Cape, Norway August sailing with a balcony at £1,999 for a saver single occupancy.  As some may remember I hoped to see a real polar bear and whales and everyone suggested the North Cape might be best.  Seems a bargain ... opinions sought on cabin, ship, ports (need for transfers etc) and possible Pipaluk sightings on that cruise. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread but what are opinions on Arcadia balcony cabins if I took a saver fare? Are they disastrous?  I've seen a saver deal on the 21 night Iceland, North Cape, Norway August sailing with a balcony at £1,999 for a saver single occupancy.  As some may remember I hoped to see a real polar bear and whales and everyone suggested the North Cape might be best.  Seems a bargain ... opinions sought on cabin, ship, ports (need for transfers etc) and possible Pipaluk sightings on that cruise. Thank you.

We cancelled this cruise last week. Health Issue. Our price was £6838. So you have a bargain. The itinerary is amazing and had lots of new ports for us. No Pipaluk though, unless an absolute fluke.

I can't comment on Arcadia. It was going to be our first time 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happy v said:

We cancelled this cruise last week. Health Issue. Our price was £6838. So you have a bargain. The itinerary is amazing and had lots of new ports for us. No Pipaluk though, unless an absolute fluke.

I can't comment on Arcadia. It was going to be our first time 

Should have said Whales definitely 

• Thanks 1

Wow, that is a good price for a solo balcony cabin, probably the lowest category. I have August free this year and cancelling my 7 nights on Iona in early September would contribute £909 toward the cost. The additional 14 days would cost £1009. A cracking itinerary if you like sea days. IO will sleep on it.

edit - just found I got a £200 discount so now £1799 for balcony saver single occupancy so i booked it. Less than £87 per night. It will mean moving a dental appointment but that's OK.

The cabin is likely to be a EF grade deluxe balcony, they are all classed as deluxes. With bath and shower or just a shower. EF grades are forward on decks 4,8 and 10. Deck 4 is above the theatre and prom deck. Deck 8 is below the gym and spa and deck 10 near the Crows Nest. 

I cruised to the Baltic on Arcadia some years ago and the ship was OK, I suppose there have been some new carpets since then!

A good itinerary  and 9 lovely sea days but note the Faroe islands call has been replaced by Liverpool. Ten ports including an overnight in Reykjavik. Four new ports for me.

Plenty of opportunities for seeing whales and hardly any darkness

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, davecttr said:

edit - just found I got a £200 discount so now £1799 for balcony saver single occupancy so i booked it. Less than £87 per night. It will mean moving a dental appointment but that's OK.

The cabin is likely to be a EF grade deluxe balcony, they are all classed as deluxes. With bath and shower or just a shower. EF grades are forward on decks 4,8 and 10. Deck 4 is above the theatre and prom deck. Deck 8 is below the gym and spa and deck 10 near the Crows Nest. 

I cruised to the Baltic on Arcadia some years ago and the ship was OK, I suppose there have been some new carpets since then!

A good itinerary  and 9 lovely sea days but note the Faroe islands call has been replaced by Liverpool. Ten ports including an overnight in Reykjavik. Four new ports for me.

Plenty of opportunities for seeing whales and hardly any darkness

Great bargain.  Just about to press the button.  I looked at the Canada one later on as well.  Also no supplements.  I think Faroes went because of the animal rights issue with whales if I remember rightly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Great bargain.  Just about to press the button.  I looked at the Canada one later on as well.  Also no supplements.  I think Faroes went because of the animal rights issue with whales if I remember rightly.

Close enough MB. Other cruise lines have also refused to visit until the annual hunt is stopped, not just whales but dolphins too.

This annual hunt is known as the ‘Grindadráp’. The claim is that hunts are non-commercial, undertaken by communities who share the bounty however a recent amendment to national legislation now allows for the meat from hunts to be sold commercially. Over the last 20 years, over 20,000 small whales and dolphins have been killed in the ‘grinds’ and other hunts. With no official quotas in place, the islanders are free to take as many as they want.

• Thanks 1