Customer Service Sea Sickness Pill on the Constellation

Sunsibar

I was recently on a TA on the Constellation. I have only experienced sea sickness one day out of hundreds on previous cruises.

There was one difficult day on this cruise and I knew I had to leave the dining table. I hung in there until the sweet waiter had my sea bass sent to my room. That's when I lost it (the smell). My husband got two packets of sea sickness meds from customer services. I slept well and was a bit drowsy but ok the next morning. So, don't say you never get sea sick. I experienced a medicane with no problems. 

@Sunsibar  FYI: Dramimine Non-Drowsy formula is the same stuff as Bonine, meclizine. My wife did not bring any on our first cruise because her sister gave her copper bands. We spent a hellacious 3 days before she was willing to give up on her sis's rec and I got her pills from Med.

I don't remember for sure which it was, but it didn't make her drowsy, so I believe it was meclizine. She now takes Bonine (like another poster) before and during the cruise, or flights, and has no problems. 

I like your idea of taking the other one from Medical's, but I would still recommend getting one package of each to cover your bases. $10 at Walmart.

Another tip: If you hit heavy seas, ginger ale may be in short supply. I went all over the ship trying to get some and only 1 bar had it. Next time we are bringing some cans on just in case.

Have fun!

Edited by mayleeman

4 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@Sunsibar  FYI: Dramimine Non-Drowsy formula is the same stuff as Bonine, meclizine. My wife did not bring any on our first cruise because her sister gave her copper bands. We spent a hellacious 3 days before she was willing to give up on her sis's rec and I got her pills from Med.

I don't remember for sure which it was, but it didn't make her drowsy, so I believe it was meclizine. She now takes Bonine (like another poster) before and during the cruise, or flights, and has no problems. 

I like your idea of taking the other one from Medical's, but I would still recommend getting one package of each to cover your bases. $10 at Walmart.

Another tip: If you hit heavy seas, ginger ale may be in short supply. I went all over the ship trying to get some and only 1 bar had it. Next time we are bringing some cans on just in case.

Have fun!

A packet of ginger biscuits (cookies) works for us. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:12 PM, bEwAbG said:

But how do they plan for that?  It's easier for them to keep a supply on hand no matter the reason.  It would be silly to have a ship full of sick people when there is a med that can help.  No different than airsickness bags.  If you suddenly need it, then it benefits everyone to have it on hand.

As noted, some people may be flying in from someplace where they cannot get it in advance.  I personally start taking it a day or two before sailing so it's already in my system.  However, one time I somehow lost an envelope of pills from the box between my hotel and the ship, so I was certainly glad they had some for me to supplement until I could buy more.  I do ok on ships but have had issues with smaller boats.  It's the reason why I didn't cruise for a long time until a friend convinced me that I would be ok with the combo of medication and the size of a cruise ship.

Where can one not purchase motion sickness medicine?  Have been all over the World and it has been available from Turkey to the Falkland Islands.  In some countries my grandson, prone to motion sickness, needed to ASK a pharmacist.  Never an issue.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:51 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

Well the stores are not open every day, for one thing. A trip to the infirmary often incurs a fee.   Guest Services is there 24/7 

Sometimes the lines at guest services are long and slow. If you are not feeling well, it might make you feel worse to wait in line, so you might want to stock up before you cruise.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I understand ginger is good for seasickness 

So I make sure I have multiple Dark & Stormy everyday 😁

Supposedly Green Apples also work.   In the Retreat Lounge during our heavy seas they had a supply of them out for those that needed them.

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Where can one not purchase motion sickness medicine?  Have been all over the World and it has been available from Turkey to the Falkland Islands.  In some countries my grandson, prone to motion sickness, needed to ASK a pharmacist.  Never an issue.

If I'm not incorrect some countries including Canada do not allow over the counter sale of Bonine which many like.   I understand they do have Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) and Gravol a ginger based natural product

I recently went thru Drakes Passage where the seas were sending waves over our 11thfloor balcony. In preparation for this I ordered seasick accupressure bands from Amazon. They worked like a charm, one on each wrist whenever I started  feeling queasy I just pressed on the contact point and amazingly felt better. They also sold similar ones  in the apothecary/liquor store.

1 hour ago, Poconolady said:

I recently went thru Drakes Passage where the seas were sending waves over our 11thfloor balcony. In preparation for this I ordered seasick accupressure bands from Amazon. They worked like a charm, one on each wrist whenever I started  feeling queasy I just pressed on the contact point and amazingly felt better. They also sold similar ones  in the apothecary/liquor store.

Oh happy memories. Infinity with 90 mph winds, 60 foot waves and the sea coming in through the doors outside the Sky Lounge. We also use the pressure bands and as previously mentioned ginger cookies.