No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

3 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

So you maintain the explanation is they needed to make a payment last minute? The whole we  didn't know about a payment narrative doesn't work. The line on the star May 11th was.. oh port athority only made us aware of a fee we needed to pay and there wasn't enough time to rectify it. Sorry had the whole of NCL come down with amnesia and forgotten that the exact same thing had happened on the Dawn in Southampton on May 4th a whole 7 days before the Star docked. Its also still happening on the Dawn's May 14th cruise. 

Then there is NCL customer services saying there are no restrictions on the consumption of alcohol in uk ports/waters. The port agent is even saying its down to duty and VAT. 

You still belive the party line🤯🤯

But… but… there’s no evidence that NCL aren’t angels and everyone is just bullying them 🙅🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

You still belive the party line🤯🤯

Yes, I do believe the cruise line. Is that not allowed, or are we all required to believe the nefarious conspiracy theory instead?

Just now, SouthamptonCruiseFan said:

Someone who'd paid for a 7.30pm Cagneys reservation couldn't enjoy a nice glass of red with it. That would upset me too on the first night of my holiday.

My understanding was that only hard liquor was forbidden, not wine. Regardless, assuming one had availed himself of the 6 bottles of BYOB (with no corkage fee), he could still have his nice glass of red. Tempest in a teapot, methinks.

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

My understanding was that only hard liquor was forbidden, not wine. Regardless, assuming one had availed himself of the 6 bottles of BYOB (with no corkage fee), he could still have his nice glass of red. Tempest in a teapot, methinks.

Nope, all alcohol is being restricted in the UK ports…

its Italy that NCL seems to think don’t like spirits… again not an issue on other lines - I wonder what short notice payments the port agents are coming up with over there 🤔

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Your understanding is wrong then. No alcohol is being served.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Absolutely nobody is saying “I don’t care what they say, they’re lying”.

Lots of people are saying “what they say doesn’t make sense and conflicts with the other evidence we have”.

They are two very very different things.

You may not agree with what people are saying but that doesn’t give you an excuse to misrepresent what they are saying.

If you read the largely negative reactions in this thread (now on its 14th page), you can clearly see a tenor of suspicion and disbelief that certainly suggests many believe they're being lied to. Even if the word "lie" isn't used, it's absolutely being implied. When someone writes something along the lines of "NCL claim it's due to a bureaucratic issue, but I don't believe that's true," that is implying a lie is being told.

This continues to be an interesting topic, but I need to get back to my actual job (much as I wish I could be financially compensated for my "work" here). I may check back in later today or not, depending on my workload.

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Nope, no alcohol is being served. Wine or liquor. Having purchased the drinks package I wouldn't have bothered bringing wine on board!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

If you read the largely negative reactions in this thread (now on its 14th page), you can clearly see a tenor of suspicion and disbelief that certainly suggests many believe they're being lied to. Even if the word "lie" isn't used, it's absolutely being implied. When someone writes something along the lines of "NCL claim it's due to a bureaucratic issue, but I don't believe that's true," that is implying a lie is being told.

I know that people think they are lying. I certainly do. That wasn’t my point.

To be clear, we aren’t saying “I don’t care what they say they’re lying”. We are saying “I’ve listened to what they are saying and it is clearly a lie”.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Your understanding is wrong. No alcohol at all. And you should not have to bring your own bottle to an open bar. I also think it's presumptuous of you to accuse those on the cruise that their dissatisfaction is unjustified. If you want to go on believing NCL fine but no need  to berate others for their complaints. 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Let me jump on the bandwagon to point out your error regarding only hard liquor.

Plus, if people weren't informed about the banning of drink sales/serving until after they boarded, how were they to know ahead of time to bring 6 bottles of wine on board? If I have the drink package, I'm not dragging numerous bottles onboard.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 8

Whether or not NCL is lying, if I book a cruise for UK or Europe in the near future, the lack of alcoholic beverages until international waters on port days with NCL will make me choose another line. 

This is much more than just a few hours on embarkation day. This has a large impact on your overall enjoyment you expected to have when you booked your cruise. Many of us book our cruise expecting to be able to enjoy a welcome aboard cocktail, a sail away party cocktail, a cocktail after a busy day of sightseeing, wine with dinner, a Mimosa with breakfast etc. Changing this for people at the last minute is clearly wrong!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 5/11/2023 at 2:04 PM, TPS123 said:

This situation is getting worse! I was on the Gem last May on the first eastern med cruise following repositioning and experienced the ban on alcohol sales in Greek ports. This was resolved for folks with the beverage package as we argued the case that we were not being ‘sold’ alcohol it was just being ‘delivered’.

I’m currently enjoying a great western med voyage on the Epic (6th time on her). We were in  Livorno the last two days and had a similar notice that stated that spirits could not be served due to local regulations. I have the free at sea beverage package and would have been outraged if I had paid the additional alcohol supplement and could not be ‘served’ spirits. The latest notice is a clever play on words as we cannot be sold or ‘served’ spirits. Also bearing in mind the original itinerary for my cruise included a stop at Sardinia which was pulled and a second day at Livorno added. 
It seems to me that while NCL can away with it they will. P

AB3A6580-B632-4C20-AE9A-A1F3508160B9.jpeg

I was also on that Gem cruise out of Civitavecchia in May. I just chatted RCL in reference to the Anthem going out the same day we return on Star. Anthem just left and their bar was open in Southampton. The agent also told me it will be open on the 21st. 

I actually don't care whether a ship serves alcohol or not but I do care if something is advertised, I book it, and pay for it and it is not provided. I am of course understanding if there is an actual unforeseen issue that prevents it (e.g. skipping a port because of bad weather or strike) but that is not the case here.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, bendoestheworld said:

I was also on that Gem cruise out of Civitavecchia in May. I just chatted RCL in reference to the Anthem going out the same day we return on Star. Anthem just left and their bar was open in Southampton. The agent also told me it will be open on the 21st. 

To be fair, we probably couldn’t call that evidence about the Anthem as their agent could be lying as well.

If you ask NCL agents whether beers are being served on the Dawn and Star then they would probably say yes (as they did to someone earlier on this thread). Not that we have any evidence of NCL lying of course. 🙂

• Haha 3

If you think something nefarious is going on, go to Customer Service and ask to have your bill adjusted because you can’t drink in port.  The rest of all this is speculation.  NCL tells you what’s going on.  You don’t believe them.  No one here is able to help you.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

What a productive attitude, so much better than whinging about something that's out of your control. I mentioned this thread to my wife and she just rolled her eyes. I think her exact words were "if you can't go without alcohol for one day, you have bigger problems." 🤣

But it isn't about the alcohol. Can't you see that? It's the fact NCL are lying to their loyal customers. And as a previous poster said, it isn't just one day

• Like 6

Just now, graphicguy said:

If you think something nefarious is going on, go to Customer Service and ask to have your bill adjusted because you can’t drink in port.  The rest of all this is speculation.  NCL tells you what’s going on.  You don’t believe them.  No one here is able to help you.  

Because it's been proven they are lying. Other ships sailed from Southampton yesterday and were serving alcohol 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, I do believe the cruise line. Is that not allowed, or are we all required to believe the nefarious conspiracy theory instead?

Eeeh. There's nowt so blind as somebody who cannot see 

Edited by Pooston
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2