No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

18 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Absolutely making it up.  You were not asking for duty-free beverage.  You were asking for a drink that had had duty paid on it. 

and according to the previous post of the actual regulations it suggests there wouldn’t be any duty full stop 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

I don’t think that is correct.,it’s only overnight stops that are limited to beer and wine so far. My friend was on a cruise of these ports this past week. He has the drink package.Beer and wine in Livorno. (Overnight port) Hard liquor  in Civitavecchia which was just a day stop. If that law change you mentioned is true wouldn’t it be every port in Italy? We were on a couple of weeks ago and our bartenders told us it would be only beer and wine in all overnight ports this summer. There are upcoming cruises with overnights in Livorno,Civitavecchia and Barcelona. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Not just on overnights… any stop in Livorno has the restriction 

17 hours ago, goldmom said:

I would suggest that people start sending e-mails detailing this situation and stating that other cruise lines sailing from the same port are not suspending serving alcohol.

Try sending e-mails to : vicepresidentguestservices@ncl.com

I believe this is Katy Bird's address and I know her office has responded to customer concerns in other areas.

Good luck and hopefully this situation will be dealt with.

I just send the Vice president an e-mail about this. Hopefully they will take it seriously. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Pooston said:

But we had the drinks package on the Dawn last week and still could not get served in either Southampton or Portland.  They're just making things up as they go along aren't they!!

I think the important words here are "MAY be served" its been cleverly worded it doesnt say WILL be served. Its also the fact that they are saying that guests with drinks packs will not know if it can be used fully until they are onboard the ship🤯🤯

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flamingo_fancies said:

I think the important words here are "MAY be served" its been cleverly worded it doesnt say WILL be served. Its also the fact that they are saying that guests with drinks packs will not know if it can be used fully until they are onboard the ship🤯🤯

How can a law use the word "May" ?? This is ridiculous!!

21 minutes ago, kaydeetee said:

I am on the NCL Dawn now.  Sailed out of Southampton 5/14/2023.  Alcohol was NOT served until the following day.  Not in bars, eating venues, or anywhere.

Did they give a reason other than the signage in place?

Edited by flamingo_fancies
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

It isn't a law it's NCL stating those with a beverage pack "may" be served. But you won't know until your on board🤯

They act like they are the only cruise line in the world....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

Ironically, "may be served" could also mean is "allowed to be served" rather than "might be" !

For what it's worth, I have just emailed the travel agent who sold me my forthcoming Norwegian Star cruise.

Here in the UK, the  'Free at Sea' package is sold as a fare add-on and I do feel that if the promised open bar isn't delivered each day, then that is mis-selling.

I don't really expect the travel agent to do anything, or to be able to get any sense out of NCL, but I felt I should write anyway. 

If I receive anything of note, I'll add an update here. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

For what it's worth, I have just emailed the travel agent who sold me my forthcoming Norwegian Star cruise.

Here in the UK, the  'Free at Sea' package is sold as a fare add-on and I do feel that if the promised open bar isn't delivered each day, then that is mis-selling.

I don't really expect the travel agent to do anything, or to be able to get any sense out of NCL, but I felt I should write anyway. 

Putting something in writing is always the best way to start 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Yes. Argument that at the very least NCL would have to say if you purchase you might get a drink or "may" 🙂

Edited by podgeandrodge

6 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

I agree! We took an NCL Cruise because of the free at sea package, but if I had known this I would have purchased a Celebrity Cruise. They sold me the "Puls" Package so I feel stupid! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colin L said:

You queue up for long time to be told they can’t do anything you need to contact office in Miami. They give you a card with an email address. Surprise surprise - nobody gets a response. I read that some people have made contact on phone or on line chat and are told you need to take it up with customer services on board nothing to do with the office. We all now know NCL blatantly lie. I don’t expect to get any apology or compensation. We’re just going to vote with our feet and never use NCL again. We had intended booking future cruises while on board but not now

That’s the best way of going to another cruise line you may like more.  NCL is the cruise line I seem to sail most (I do like their cruise experience).  But, I cruise other lines.

This is only happening in the U.K.  So, while it is a “thing” for those cruises and cruisers, it seems the rest of the world where NCL sails doesn’t have these rules and regulations.  Again, there’s more to this.  We just don’t know what it is other than there’s some barrier (either by U.K. Or NCL) that’s keeping them from serving hard liquor on ships sailing around the U.K.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

That’s the best way of going to another cruise line you may like more.  NCL is the cruise line I seem to sail most (I do like their cruise experience).  But, I cruise other lines.

This is only happening in the U.K.  So, while it is a “thing” for those cruises and cruisers, it seems the rest of the world where NCL sails doesn’t have these rules and regulations.  Again, there’s more to this.  We just don’t know what it is other than there’s some barrier (either by U.K. Or NCL) that’s keeping them from serving hard liquor on ships sailing around the U.K.

What about Livorno and Civitavecchia here is also issues with serving?

• Like 1

Just now, kaydeetee said:
1 hour ago, Janevo said:

Are you in Scotland now? Can we check if alcohol is being served there on ship?

Just now, kaydeetee said:
3 minutes ago, kaydeetee said:

We are in Scotland, but Edinbough is a tender port. They are serving alchohol now, but the manager said they don't know if they can in the remaining UK ports.  He said they won't know until we get into the ports.  Said it was up to the port authorities.

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

This particular issue (no alcohol at all) is currently only happening in the UK, but it has happened earlier this year in Gibraltar and happened on a couple of occasions in Greece last year.

As mentioned there are also the current restrictions in Italy.

I don’t think we know for sure that it is fixed in Gibraltar. It may just be that they haven’t been there lately.

The concern is that we don’t know where it will happen next.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 3