No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

12 minutes ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Are there any extra taxes being charged during your itinerary (like the dreaded Spanish tax)? Just curious!

No, not offered, just no booze in UK ports full stop. If they had offered it this thread wouldn't exist

1 hour ago, teazy said:

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/cruise-ships-banning-alcohol-in-ports/

I reached out to Jenni on cruisemummy and this is her article

Whatever about minor inaccuracies, it's good that this site has picked up the issue, as it should hopefully help put more pressure on NCL to fix the damn problem.  I see she quotes a few posters on here, enjoy your fame 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I think that's a very reasonable approach. Like you, I want what I paid for. On my last NCL cruise, I had a couple of issues with food, at both Cagney's and Moderno. Both were rectified immediately after I spoke up.

There are many "camps" on Cruise Critic. Two of the most commons ones are what I'd call the "cheerleaders" and the "haters." Cheerleaders support their line of choice, come what may, justifying everything the cruise line does and attacking anyone who criticizes it. Haters do the opposite: they carp and complain about every slight, imperfection, error, or inconsistency and, in their turn, they attack anyone who questions their reasonableness, rationale, or in any way defends the cruise line. I think we need to get away from this binary approach, but this is how it is.

The world has sadly shifted toward my team vs your team… your team are 100% wrong about everything all the time. It’s infected so many areas of life now and I don’t see how we go back. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You're right in one sense: I'm the only one who refuses to get on the bandwagon of "NCL is evil." Then again, I pride myself on being able to see all sides of an issue, not just the popular one, and I like being able to say "hang on a minute" when everyone else is saying "get onboard, everyone else thinks this, so you must, too." That's just not who I am.

No, you are not alone at this matter.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

It’s interesting that when a new cruiser comes along and complains that their holiday went wrong, there are usually a group of people on here telling them that it is their fault because they missed something.

However, when it’s the cruise company that forgot the form it’s all ok apparently. 🙂

That’s another feature of online discourse. 

if you report having a wonderful time, you are congratulated for it, but if it wasn’t so good, it’s treated as if it’s your own personal failing ! 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

The world has sadly shifted toward my team vs your team… your team are 100% wrong about everything all the time. It’s infected so many areas of life now and I don’t see how we go back. 

Actually, it's relatively easy: eliminate all superfluous matters and keep the rest.

PS.  Everything is in our head.

Edited by kirtihk

59 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Well firstly, I wouldn’t run NCL because that isn’t my thing, but a company like NCL should have review processes and anything like this should be fully investigated through those systems and improvements identified and managed.

When it went wrong on the Jade last year the whole process should have been reviewed and improvements made. Then when it happened again on the Gem it should have caused a further review with higher level management involved and any further improvements made.

Then, there was Gibraltar when they could have another look it this before we got to where we are now.

I mean what your pointing out here is basically general buisness practice. A company like NCL should be able to easily implement it, as to why it isn't already in place, who knows 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Centuryrace said:

No, not offered, just no booze in UK ports full stop. If they had offered it this thread wouldn't exist

Sorry, I was wondering about the ports in the Republic of Ireland and whether any extra taxes were charged there.

Doesn't NCL sail in other parts of the world, like Asia, Africa, South America, the Caribbean, North America, the Mediterranean, and Scandinavia? It doesn't seem like there's been any problem in those places, only the UK and one port in Italy. I'd say this is (mostly) very much restricted to one part of the UK only, therefore it can't be characterized as a system-wide issue.

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Doesn't NCL sail in other parts of the world, like Asia, Africa, South America, the Caribbean, North America, the Mediterranean, and Scandinavia? It doesn't seem like there's been any problem in those places, only the UK and one port in Italy. I'd say this is (mostly) very much restricted to one part of the UK only, therefore it can't be characterized as a system-wide issue.

Livorno, Civitaveccia, Trieste and Greek ports have all had the dreaded notices.

I think a lot of the frustration is the lack of consistency and lack of clarity from NCL. 

Edited by Greener123
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

At the moment it's a UK port problem with no booze. Various ports around the world get NCL and other cruise line to collect taxes when in port, even on package supplies. New York, Miami, for sure because I have been charged. Spanish ports do the same apparently and Greece has been banning it to persuade folk off ships and spend in port. There are stories of Italian ports banning some hard spirits. However I was in Greek and Italian ports with NCL last year and had no problems. 

7 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Livorno, Civitaveccia, Trieste and Greek ports have all had the dreaded notices.

I think a lot of the frustration is the lack of consistency and lack of clarity from NCL. 

Was in trieste, mykonos and santorini last year with absolutely no problem on the NCL Dawn. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Centuryrace said:

Was in trieste, mykonos and santorini last year with absolutely no problem on the NCL Dawn. 

Breakaway was in Livorno and Civitaveccia this past week and had the notices 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

OK, but that doesn't answer my question about the other ports. And wasn't Greece an issue LAST year, or is it still going on?

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK, but that doesn't answer my question about the other ports. And wasn't Greece an issue LAST year, or is it still going on?

Still very early in the season, not sure anything has gone over there just yet, will probably find out next week with breakaway, it’s only just finished it’s TA 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Still very early in the season, not sure anything has gone over there just yet, will probably find out next week with breakaway, it’s only just finished it’s TA 

Breakaway started stopping in Greek ports more than a week ago. You can see the relevant rule (no alcohol sales in or near Greek ports, but beverage packages do work) at the bottom of the Dailies that Happycrafter123 posted in their live report. For example:

4 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Breakaway started stopping in Greek ports more than a week ago. You can see the relevant rule (no alcohol sales in or near Greek ports, but beverage packages do work) at the bottom of the Dailies that Happycrafter123 posted in their live report. For example:

Thank you for this. At least the beverage packages do work, so that's something. 😀

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

There are many "camps" on Cruise Critic. Two of the most commons ones are what I'd call the "cheerleaders" and the "haters." Cheerleaders support their line of choice, come what may, justifying everything the cruise line does and attacking anyone who criticizes it. Haters do the opposite: they carp and complain about every slight, imperfection, error, or inconsistency and, in their turn, they attack anyone who questions their reasonableness, rationale, or in any way defends the cruise line. I think we need to get away from this binary approach, but this is how it is.

Which begs the question as to why you keep insisting that people who are critical of NCL on this one issue hate them, or think they are evil.

If you want people to move away from this binary approach then perhaps you should stop doing it yourself.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Centuryrace said:

but I was in Trieste last week and there was a ban on alcohol being served to those who had not pre-purchased the drinks package.  

2 hours ago, Centuryrace said:

At the moment it's a UK port problem with no booze. Various ports around the world get NCL and other cruise line to collect taxes when in port, even on package supplies. New York, Miami, for sure because I have been charged. Spanish ports do the same apparently and Greece has been banning it to persuade folk off ships and spend in port. There are stories of Italian ports banning some hard spirits. However I was in Greek and Italian ports with NCL last year and had no problems. 

In Greece this March I wasn't allowed to buy a fruit juice whilst in port.  I didn't have a drink package as it didn't seem worth it for me as a non alcohol drinker.  Those with a package were being served as normal.  Not a big problem for me as I just went to the buffet and got a drink there but there are still strange rules in Greek ports.

• Like 1

For me it is not a question of do I hate or love NCL.  In fact I am critical of what is going on with the alcohol issue, but I love cruising with NCL.  

My frustration is that we are not warned about the issue.  If NCL said “we can apply the package in 3 out of 5 ports (for example) so we will sell the package to you on a day by day basis”, then it would seem fair.  If they would warn customers that - when we are sailing in waters by Trieste we will not be able to serve you alcohol if you don’t have the package it would seem forewarned and fair.  

The way they are doing this seems so random.  You want all of this information before you get on board, not just go down to a bar and find a notice that basically says ‘we won’t be serving you tonight’.  That is what frustrates me and makes me cross.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
  • Like 11