No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

16 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

I've got confirmation that mirrors what another poster got from their TA earlier.

"Upon further investigation, we have clarified that the beverage service is permitted aboard while the vessel is in port within the UK".

This confirmation came from someone sufficiently senior within Norwegian to be totally confident that it is true. 

It doesn't make a distinction between paying for a drink and using beverage package though, so not sure on that count.

Either way, it seems that thanks to the people on here, and the bloggers/websites that published the issue, that NCL have done the right thing on this in the end, which is good news.

Some sort of guarantee that this problem won’t pop up again in another port would be good.   Never gonna happen as that would mean acknowledging that NCL were in the wrong all along.

the trouble is, if there IS a repeat of this in the future, the ship will tow the same line  and tell us ,the customer, that it’s not their fault.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

I've got confirmation that mirrors what another poster got from their TA earlier.

"Upon further investigation, we have clarified that the beverage service is permitted aboard while the vessel is in port within the UK".

This confirmation came from someone sufficiently senior within Norwegian to be totally confident that it is true. 

It doesn't make a distinction between paying for a drink and using beverage package though, so not sure on that count.

Either way, it seems that thanks to the people on here, and the bloggers/websites that published the issue, that NCL have done the right thing on this in the end, which is good news.

Sounds like good news coming through - here's hoping everyone sailing UK this summer has a wonderful holiday, with no further hassle or upset.

That's cute wording from NCL, though - 'Upon further investigation....'! 😏

Out of curiosity I e-mailed another cruise operator yesterday to enquire whether the issues currently affecting NCL passengers also applied to their ships sailing UK. 

They telephoned me and left a voicemail (there's a novelty - a return call, rather than being deliberately cut off!!!!) assuring me that they had the required licence to serve alcohol in UK ports, adding that if anything were to change in future they would contact customers to inform them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Norwayfan1 said:

Sounds like good news coming through - here's hoping everyone sailing UK this summer has a wonderful holiday, with no further hassle or upset.

That's cute wording from NCL, though - 'Upon further investigation....'! 😏

Out of curiosity I e-mailed another cruise operator yesterday to enquire whether the issues currently affecting NCL passengers also applied to their ships sailing UK. 

They telephoned me and left a voicemail (there's a novelty - a return call, rather than being deliberately cut off!!!!) assuring me that they had the required licence to serve alcohol in UK ports, adding that if anything were to change in future they would contact customers to inform them.

Thank you for this. Apparently, the "crisis" is over. Like I said before, given all that happened in 2020-2022, with lines essentially shut down, the lack of 'free' drinks for a day or so is hardly the catastrophe some believe it to be. Good on NCL for rectifying the problem and serving folks again, though.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

That may be one of the funniest things I've ever read on this board...

Cruise Critic is certainly the fount of a lot of hilarity for me. Over the years, I've laughed and guffawed many times over posts. I'm happy to provide some laughs for you, as well. Happy Friday! 😄

14 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you for this. Apparently, the "crisis" is over. Like I said before, given all that happened in 2020-2022, with lines essentially shut down, the lack of 'free' drinks for a day or so is hardly the catastrophe some believe it to be. Good on NCL for rectifying the problem and serving folks again, though.

Like you said before???? If we all held your view there'd still be no alcohol being served in UK ports!!! Luckily most of us challenge incorrect treatment!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, podgeandrodge said:

Like you said before???? If we all held your view there'd still be no alcohol being served in UK ports!!! Luckily most of us challenge incorrect treatment!

Yes, like I said before. I enjoy my wine and spirits, but by no means would my entire cruise be wrecked by their absence. And since we always buy the UBP, we could bring our own for free, plus we'd always have the opportunity to drink while in port. I can think of far worse things that might spoil our cruise than this. Your view may be different. 🙂

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, like I said before. I enjoy my wine and spirits, but by no means would my entire cruise be wrecked by their absence. And since we always buy the UBP, we could bring our own for free, plus we'd always have the opportunity to drink while in port. I can think of far worse things that might spoil our cruise than this. Your view may be different. 🙂

Let me know next time you go on a cruise, I’m more than happy to charge you for various services I have no intention of supplying - you seem perfectly happy with that scenario 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Let me know next time you go on a cruise, I’m more than happy to charge you for various services I have no intention of supplying - you seem perfectly happy with that scenario 👍🏻

This is exactly the kind of humorous post to which I was referring. Made me smile. 😊 And BTW, I never said I was "perfectly happy" (to use your words) with paying for something and not getting it. What I said was that it wouldn't wreck my cruise. Big difference.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Although passengers on Dawn are posting (on FB) that they are still being told there will be no bar service in Portland.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Investigation

code for we have reversed the policy change,  it did not work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well either they're lying or NCL is. I believe NCL. 🤣

Yeah...someone told someone else who's related to the cousin of one who sailed on a cruise ship one time that Portland won't let you drink in port on any day ending in "Y".

This has been drug out about as far as it can go.

Best of luck to all of you in the U.K.  Looks like everything has worked itself out.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 3:47 PM, hawkeyetlse said:

It was more than a passing comment to one passenger. According to ziggyuk, it was the explanation provided at the meet & greet that he organized on the Star. It probably sounded plausible enough in the room, but fell apart as soon as it was posted to the Internet

I have tried to remain factual posting what was happening on the ground without agreeing or disagreeing, I leave it to others do decide the truth from fiction.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Interesting, howls of outrage about people suggesting that NCL may be lying now turns into enthusiastic “the passengers are lying” posts. No evidence provided.

You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Apparently the laughing emoji I posted caused you to confuse my obvious sarcasm with candor. I do think *that* is funny, and ironic.

24 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I have tried to remain factual posting what was happening on the ground without agreeing or disagreeing, I leave it to others do decide the truth from fiction.

Thank you for posting this, @ziggyuk. FWIW I don't really believe anyone onboard is lying, but I do think it's tough to parse the truth when you have various parties telling half-truths (which isn't exactly the same as lying, but it's not 100% truthful, either).

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you for posting this, @ziggyuk. FWIW I don't really believe anyone onboard is lying, but I do think it's tough to parse the truth when you have various parties telling half-truths (which isn't exactly the same as lying, but it's not 100% truthful, either).

It's tough when it's NCL employees delivering the different 1/2 truths where you you can't make anything near a whole truth from any combination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

That may be one of the funniest things I've ever read on this board...

So, so true. When we have to compliment NCL for delivering a service it has been charging for, we have reached a new low.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, luv2kroooz said:

...yeah, great job NCL for  getting this fixed and for delivering the service folks are paying for. 🥱🥱

Wait, you and I just agreed? Will wonders never cease. I'm glad to hear this, too. And I'm serious, I do agree it's good they got this fixed. I wish I had an insider with NCL who might be able to get the full story. The cynic in me smells something fishy, but the optimist in me wants to believe NCL truly got caught in a no-win situation, aka they really weren't given enough time to pay the excise tax (or whatever the correct term is) but they're facing the backlash from passengers.

Has anyone seen confirmation Dawn are getting drinks in Belfast?

But then Dawn did last week but the Star didn't a few days later.

Then again when there are no report like there were none on every other cruise line that is just them having a good time without drink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I spoke to a ship's agent today and he could come up with no obvious reason for this.  Regulations allow the ship to provide alcohol when in territorial waters, but only to the passengers & crew.  There are duty issues if the ship never leaves the 12 mile limit, but I doubt this directly applies here.

When I thought about it afterwards, I wondered if NCL had broken some rule that meant HMRC weren't granting them the dispensation that this might come under (for example by selling duty free in the shop whilst still in territorial waters, or not having clear stock-keeping/accounting records).  Once they got their house in order, records straightened up, duty paid, or similar, all might be well.  But that's just my speculation and there could be many other reasons as suggested.

Oh .. and he said that (historically at least) at least one line thought Belfast was in the Republic of Ireland and screwed-up an international-travel exemption because of that!

Edited by fruitmachine
  • Like 2