Behind the scenes tours?

phantom5777

I did the QV tour once. The inner workings of the ship, Bridge, etc are fascinating to me. I'm just one of those people. I like to see how things work. I wouldn't do any other ship, the QM2 is an icon, and being she's the only ocean liner in the world, I think she's special. I would love to do it.

• Like 1

We have done the BTS tour on QM2 (I believe in 2017). This past Thanksgiving a gentleman noticed the commemorative pin I was wearing and he said, 'Oh, I see you've been on my tour!'. After recognizing him as our previous guide I asked if they were ever going to do them again. He said they had just been speaking about it the day before and he felt confident they were going to start up again in the coming weeks. Since, I have not yet been back onboard or heard any comments about it here. I will be back onboard for a TA in July and hope to do the tour again then. Interested if anyone can confirm if they did indeed start back up.

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 2

We were on a December 2022 TA on QM2. There was no “behind the scenes” tour offered, which was a shame because we ended up with US$1,200 in OBC that we could have used. On our pre-pandemic TAs, there was a free galley tour offered one morning that drew vast hordes of people. I saw nothing that indicated one was being offered last December.

Edited by ExArkie

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

There used to be a free Galley tour. I could never understand why anyone would want to go and look at pots and pans and cookers.

Why not just go for a walk around John Lewis department store?

I'd love to visit the QM2 galley. In contrast, I loathe department stores.

• Like 1

I did the Behind the Scenes Tour on the QM2 in March. Apparently the first one since they started them up again.  

I was blown away by it, it was much more than I expected and was worth every cent (which from memory was something like $120). It lasted for about four hours (I wasn't expecting anything near that). We got to see many working areas of the ship (as an ocean liner fanatic I was in my element). Parts of the ship we visited included the docking machinery and anchor area below the bow, the engineering room, the hospital, the  galley (which was followed by an afternoon tea in which we got champagne and got to try specialty treats usually only available to Grills Suite passengers), the waste disposal area, the crews rec area and mess, the backstage area and dressing rooms and the highlight - a visit to the bridge and a photo op with the Captain. We were also given some cool souvenirs and keepsakes. I loved it and highly recommend it if anyone has the opportunity. 

Get in fast though, very limited numbers. I went straight to the tour office to book it as soon as it was advertised in the program and was told it was already sold out. I told them how much I am into Cunard history and have built models of the QM2 and how devastated I was to miss out etc. They took my name and room number and two days later I got an invitation from the Captain in my cabin mailbox to invite me to the tour. 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs A said:

I'd love to do a BST when we go on QE.  Can it be booked in advance, or do we have to book when we're onboard?

On board. It is advertised in the Daily Programme, or you can try asking, as I did.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr and Mrs A said:

I'd love to do a BST when we go on QE.  Can it be booked in advance, or do we have to book when we're onboard?

In my case it was sold out before it appeared in the program. Just go to the Tour desk on your embarkation day and ask if they're doing the tour so you can put your name down then. 

Edited by Jim_P
  • Like 3

On 5/12/2023 at 12:37 PM, BigMac1953 said:

There used to be a free Galley tour. I could never understand why anyone would want to go and look at pots and pans and cookers.

Why not just go for a walk around John Lewis department store?

Well the galley chefs  would often have 'free samples of lite bites' on offer .....😅  remember, some folks haven't  eaten for the past hour ..lol 😉

• Haha 3

@BigMac1953 It’s not about the pots and pans. It is interesting to see how the kitchen is laid out and the technology that allows them to track 2,000+ dinners. The huge freezers etc. I’ve done tours before but I’m not sure I could handle a four hour tour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_P said:

In my case it was sold out before it appeared in the program. Just go to the Tour desk on your embarkation day and ask if they're doing the tour so you can put your name down then. 

Will do, thanks.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:19 PM, techteach said:

@BigMac1953 It’s not about the pots and pans. It is interesting to see how the kitchen is laid out and the technology that allows them to track 2,000+ dinners. The huge freezers etc. I’ve done tours before but I’m not sure I could handle a four hour tour.

We've taken the simple kitchen tour on the QM2 and found it interesting to see where our dishes are prepared and served from. It is well organized and would like to go again on this coming sailing. Very interesting. Coming from a family where my father was a chef and I learned from a early age,

• Like 2