Private Island

I'm not talking about any particular cruise line and I have never been to any of the private islands........ I know there are some that enjoy these stops, but from the pictures I've seen, it looks like a big ole mess ..... Is it as crowded and congested on these islands as I think it is ???????????

It depends on the cruise, cruise line and passenger list. We were on a HAL cruise a couple of years ago that stopped at Half Moon Cay, HAL's private island in the Bahamas. The ship, the Zaandam, was full but when we got to Half Moon Cay the day was a little overcast and I would guess no more than 300-400 people went ashore. It felt like we had the whole island to ourselves. We have been there when it was more crowded but even then it wasn't a complete zoo.

Try it you might enjoy it. I know the beach on HMC is really beautiful.

Have a great next cruise.

We can only confirm wwinfl91's experience on Half Moon Cay. When we were there last January there were 2 ships, The Westerdam and the Maasdam. It was still not very crowded, the beach was fabulous, the BBQ lunch was great and we went on a very fun kayak excursion.

The only negative we heard was that the parasailing excursions were cancelled due to the winds aloft being too strong. They kept sending the boat out with one of the staff on the parasail to check the winds but they never were low enought to take passengers out.

Keep in mind that not all "Private Islands" are Islands at all. RCI's "Labadee" is a private beach but it is in Haiti. I'm not sure of others.

I just got back from a HAL cruise on the Volendam. Beautiful day, the water was nice, and it never felt crowded. HAL offers jet-skis in the lagoon in the middle of Half Moon Cay. Only 7 at a time, so you have the feeling of having the lagoon to yourself as you ride. Don't miss this if you go there and like jet-skis. I go the impression that HAL had spent some serious money to improve the island. Seemed nicer than previous times there, although I can't really give a lot of details as to why I had that impression. Just seemed newer, fresher, nicer.

I have also been to Castaway Cay, the Disney Island a couple of times. This one has the advantage of having a dock for the ship, rather than tenders. I have always spent my time in the adults only area there, versus the family areas, so it has never been crowded at all.

I can recommend both lines and islands.

We have been both to HAL's Half Moon Cay and RCCL's Labadee.

We really enjoyed Half Moon Cay. There seemed to be plenty of space and there were some activities for those of us who were not really beach people.

However, unlike many people, we did not like Labadee. The beaches seemed more crowded and the Haitians working there were very agressive. In fact, one of them made it clear that he thought that $2 for pushing my husband about 150 feet in a beach wheelchair was not enough.

Keep in mind that not all "Private Islands" are Islands at all. RCI's "Labadee" is a private beach but it is in Haiti. I'm not sure of others.

Actually, I believe Haiti is an Island. I know what you mean though, we usually stay on-board for the day in Haiti... they've got that whole voodoo thing ya know.;)

Well... not exactly private Island... Taha'a Motu Mahana. RSSC had a private section of the beach where they provide water sport, food and drinks (yes alcoholic include) for free! Not crowed at all... Paradise!:D

I love RCCL's Coco Cay. It is a beautiful island! It never felt over crowded to me. There is a spot called Wanderer's beach that is absolutely one of the most scenic spots I've ever seen. It's very quiet on that side of the little island. It doesn't look too crowded or crazy, does it? :)

kitty

cococaybeach.JPG.94d3fa19f12bd685a2346a18d4184b8e.JPG

Okay so Haiti isn't an island but is on a island?

Being a former Geography teacher, you could make the argument the Australia is an island as well as the American Continents. Island = a body of land completely surrounded by water.

Labadee is in the country of Haiti on the island of Hispaniola.

I enjoyed my visit to Labadee - just wondered what people would do if it rained? If you were at a port of call like (St. Martin or Nassau) you have options when the weather is bad: mainly shopping, eating, or gambling, but at at least you have options.

One of the problems is that everything including food is brought in from the ship, filling tenders and making the transfer really slow.

The other problem, not for some, is that the water is so shallow ( knee height out to a 1/4 mile or so that swimming is TOTALLY limited).

Unlike the ship, there is only one area to get food, and it is like the entire ship standing in line for the buffet.

Not enought staff to serve drinks...always have to wait and the bartenders favor the walk around waiters to those who just want a beer or soda.

EVERYTHING is additional. Charge for snorkling equipment, Charge for water slide, charge for water sports, charge for water park, I'm surprised they don't charge for chair rental. Now given this is a PRIVATE island...they should have some ammenities besides sitting in the sun that should be comped. I thought the charges for the water sports were fair, but they might be a bit lower, once again since this is a private island.

Given all these negatives, there are some positives.

You can easily get away from the crowds.

Bathroom facilities were clean and plentiful.

Lots of hammocks that you can crash in and just relax under the trees.

I REALLY LIKED the wild roosters running around the island...fun to watch, but they beg for food. Lots of hermit crabs also ( you can catch a few and have races ).

Being said, there is plenty to do if you want to , and lots of places to relax, do water sports and walk around the island....LOTS of walking paths. The food is the same quality as the ship ( since it comes from there.) and the island is just beautiful.

Would I do it again? sure I would.

Would I look specifically for an itinerary to stop there? No.

Had a great time, but did't do anything I couldn't do on the ship, or try any different foods, or see any culture....My highlight was the crab races and wild chickens:rolleyes:

Dave:eek:

Loved Princess Cays. It was more crowded on one side of the little bridge where the tenders dock. As you face land, we went to the right over the bridge where it was less crowded, near the bar, and where a barbeque lunch was served, sat under a thatched roof for shade, and it was deep enough to swim or just keep cool in the water right off shore. It WAS very hot, so if I didn't like the beach and water I would have been very uncomfortable. Really had a grand day there and I would look for an intinerary that included this stop. If you are willing to go back & forth into the water to keep cool it will be a perfect beach day. Wear a t-shirt & a hat & use PLENTY of sun screen.

Hal's Half Moon Cay is very nice but they have ruined it. It has gone down the tubes since they started having two ships there at the same time. It is a mob scene. If you are lucky and your ship is the only ship it is fine.

One other thing Hal did that I did not like is they no longer have umbrellas for shade. Talk about being nickeled and dimed !!

You must pay for this thing called a clam shell. I dislike the clam shells since they block any air movement.

On NCL's private island, Great Stirrup Cay, it wasn't as crowded as you would imagine. There were plenty of beach chairs with umbrellas by the water, which was nice & shallow for the kids.

But it was VERY HOT. Hot walking to the bathroom or to the food area. Hot eating at the picnic tables. (Of course, we went in July.:o )

And yes, everything was extra, even their floaty things, which they didn't permit anyway because the current was too strong.

If you like the beach, you'll like the private islands. For us it was too much like Jones Beach, and we don't like to go there anymore...

Of course the other option on "Private Island Day" is to stay on board. We have gone to the island for some activities and then headed back to the ship for burgers by the pool, chairs all to us. We really like that too.

We really enjoyed CocoCay. We found a distant beach with palm trees and hammocks, dappled shade, a few fat, fluffy hens scratching in the sand and water foul flying around. It seemed like paradise to me.

Of course, it was a cool day. I don't know if I would have felt so peaceful on a hot, steamy August day. A sudden rain shower would have been a problem too. Also, Majesty of the Seas was the only ship tendered there. If Mariner of the Seas had pulled up and disgorged 2500 more passengers, I don't think the island could have handled that. Does anybody know if RCI ever does that or do they allow only one ship at a time on Coco Cay?

The worst part of our day there was the return trip by tender to the ship. The ocean had grown very rough and it took so long to deboard the tender with passngers back to the ship. All the while those on the tender bobbed up and down roughly and the wind was freezing. I was so glad when I finally got off that tender.

Have been to Coco Cay (lovely - not crowded), Great Stirrup Cay (it was okay), Princess Cay ( love their walkways - but not their water - too many stones) and Half Moon Cay.

Half Moon Cay has the best soft, white sandy beach - JMO. Whenever there are 2 ships there so stay on the ship. It is just too crowded and the lunch lines are very long. HAL has a special boat that comes out to the ship to take all the food and drink to the island so the tenders are not taken up by that process. And soon HAL will have 2 special tenders that will come from the island to the ship to transport evveryone. One of them is already at the island but hasn't been put to use yet.

Archived