Live Westerdam May 7-14 OMG!!

1teach53

37 minutes ago, 1teach53 said:

Yes you are correct! We had 2 sets ( both cruises ) of boarding docs with the original cabin number on both. All looked fine until we boarded the ship. That’s when it went upside down! 

Did they give a reason?   

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

2. Port embarkation problems appear to be well outside of any thing HAL has control over.

I'm sorry but embarkations are HAL's responsibility! We also dealt with a horrible mess at San Diego and the people given wrong info had HAL name tags on. They were the ones controlling lines and directing people incorrectly.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I'm sorry but embarkations are HAL's responsibility! We also dealt with a horrible mess at San Diego and the people given wrong info had HAL name tags on. They were the ones controlling lines and directing people incorrectly.

I believe those are port franchise personnel hired locally, and not HAL trained people.  Even with "name tags". The interval between port arrival and actual embarkation on the ship itself, is, can be and will be fraught with confusion and peril - many, many cooks stirring the pot in this interface.  Have faced many chaotic embarkations myself so they are real, but seem to be the price of admission today. Go with the flow. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I believe those are port franchise personnel hired locally, and not HAL trained people.  Even with "name tags". The interval between port arrival and actual embarkation on the ship itself, is, can be and will be fraught with confusion and peril - many, many cooks stirring the pot in this interface.  Have faced many chaotic embarkations myself so they are real, but seem to be the price of admission today. Go with the flow. 

How can they not be trained by HAL?  No matter who "hires" them they are representing HAL and HAL is responsible for embarkation. I can't believe that HAL would be negligent in not having "trained by them" employees that were checking documents and boarding papers. And yes, those people were confused, making mistakes and giving out incorrect info.

Yes, I did go with the flow and did not get upset and had a wonderful cruise but I'm tired of the blame being put on the port employees!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

How can they not be trained by HAL?  No matter who "hires" them they are representing HAL and HAL is responsible for embarkation. I can't believe that HAL would be negligent in not having "trained by them" employees that were checking documents and boarding papers.

I understand your frustration. Shoreside operations employees in San Diego don't work directly for HAL. They're employees of a manning company that contracts with different cruise lines to provide shoreside operations (directional, check-in, embark, debark, etc.) around the world.  Many years ago, when Stein Kruse was head of HAL,  HAL used their own shoreside employees. HAL trained them and signed their paychecks. This lasted a long time, and ensured that the terminal check in experience was similar to the HAL experience onboard. 

Then, without warning, HAL signed with the manning agency after a cruise season was finished,  effectively terminating the shoreside employees who had worked for them. Those former employees could apply with the new company if they wanted. A few did, but most did not. 

As for the HAL name tags, if the manning agency is working a Carnival ship. the name tags will say Carnival.  If they're working a Princess ship, the tags say Princess.  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I understand your frustration. Shoreside operations employees in San Diego don't work directly for HAL. They're employees of a manning company that contracts with different cruise lines to provide shoreside operations (directional, check-in, embark, debark, etc.) around the world.  Many years ago, when Stein Kruse was head of HAL,  HAL used their own shoreside employees. HAL trained them and signed their paychecks. This lasted a long time, and ensured that the terminal check in experience was similar to the HAL experience onboard. 

Then, without warning, HAL signed with the manning agency after a cruise season was finished,  effectively terminating the shoreside employees who had worked for them. Those former employees could apply with the new company if they wanted. A few did, but most did not. 

As for the HAL name tags, if the manning agency is working a Carnival ship. the name tags will say Carnival.  If they're working a Princess ship, the tags say Princess.  

Thanks for explaining that!!

Seems like a poor way to do business, when you let someone represent you that you have not trained. The customer suffers in the long run.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

How can they not be trained by HAL?  No matter who "hires" them they are representing HAL and HAL is responsible for embarkation. I can't believe that HAL would be negligent in not having "trained by them" employees that were checking documents and boarding papers. And yes, those people were confused, making mistakes and giving out incorrect info.

Yes, I did go with the flow and did not get upset and had a wonderful cruise but I'm tired of the blame being put on the port employees!

HAL is perhaps one day in port out of an entire week and you expect HAL to have a fully trained and staffed embarkation team? I think what those port staffers do is change the color of their scarfs; depending on what cruise line is in that day.

After the "covid" two year forced cruising moratorium ,  and its huge drain on staffing at every level of operations for just about everything and anything, we do have to go with the flow. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

HAL is perhaps one day in port out of an entire week and you expect HAL to have a fully trained and staffed embarkation team? I think what those port staffers do is change the color of their scarfs; depending on what cruise line is in that day.

After the "covid" two year forced cruising moratorium ,  and its huge drain on staffing at every level of operations for just about everything and anything, we do have to go with the flow. 

Boatdrill just explained it in the post above mine, but thanks.

And yes, I do expect the staff to be trained by HAL or their representative.  After all, they are representing HAL. 

Edited by Coolcruise02
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

Boatdrill just explained it in the post above mine, but thanks.

And yes, I do expect the staff to be trained by HAL or their representative.  After all, they are representing HAL. 

Now that it has been explained to you, will you still expect it? Might be a set up for continued disappointment, before the cruise even begins. It was good to get the more detailed explanation.

We always have seen HAL as a less frills cruise line so this sort of thing comes with the package for us. I wonder how the higher premium, luxury cruise lines handle impacted embarkation when thousands of passengers, and perhaps multiple cruise ships at the same time,  must be processed in a few short hours.

Never said I liked this; only that we have come to expect it now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Now that it has been explained to you, will you still expect it? Might be a set up for continued disappointment, before the cruise even begins. It was good to get the more detailed explanation.

We always have seen HAL as a less frills cruise line so this sort of thing comes with the package for us. I wonder how the higher premium, luxury cruise lines handle impacted embarkation when thousands of passengers, and perhaps multiple cruise ships at the same time,  must be processed in a few short hours.

Never said I liked this; only that we have come to expect it now.

I guess it surprises me that HAL would want their customers to have such a bad experience to start a cruise. This was my first cruise post covid so I was surprised at the disorganization. I had sailed out of S.D. before and never had this kind of chaos. IF I sail with HAL again, I would definitely know what to expect. After reading reviews of Vancouver embarkation it does sound like this is now the norm.

I did not let the frustrating embarkation ruin the cruise, as we had an awesome time. But, believe me, it was the talk of the ship as it involved everyone in some way. 

9 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I guess it surprises me that HAL would want their customers to have such a bad experience to start a cruise. This was my first cruise post covid so I was surprised at the disorganization. I had sailed out of S.D. before and never had this kind of chaos. IF I sail with HAL again, I would definitely know what to expect. After reading reviews of Vancouver embarkation it does sound like this is now the norm.

I did not let the frustrating embarkation ruin the cruise, as we had an awesome time. But, believe me, it was the talk of the ship as it involved everyone in some way. 

Why do you assume HAL "wants" passengers to have a bad experience?  After one terrible embarkation in San Diego, HAL immediately invited everyone for a free drink at a special set up at the Lido Pool.  Now unfortunately, post-"covid" these back up have become routine.

The post-"covid" shakedown is still happening everywhere - our local hospital system was just forced to merge with a larger health care provide "due to covid" lockdowns and huge revenue losses during that time that left their system in total disarray as a small independent operation. 

A hospitality industry operation does want people to enjoy themselves, so when something like this happens, we never assume they "wanted" this to happen. I am sure they moved heaven and earth for this not to happened, but ports are very strictly controlled by outside forces and dockside unions, maritime regulations and labor clauses etc. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

Seems like a poor way to do business, when you let someone represent you that you have not trained. The customer suffers in the long run.

Its the exact same thing at all of the airport check-ins and boarding gates around the world. United, Delta, American and Air Canada, etc don't generally have employees in every single other country they fly to but use code-sharing company staff to do the work on their behalf.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dawnvip said:

Its the exact same thing at all of the airport check-ins and boarding gates around the world. United, Delta, American and Air Canada, etc don't generally have employees in every single other country they fly to but use code-sharing company staff to do the work on their behalf.

Other countries? Most of those who work near the counters in the US, helping with self check-in, are contract employees rather than working for the airline.

As we begin our next cruise a few observations: 

The crew continues to be the highlight. So friendly and helpful!! They are tremendously over worked and short staffed! I feel bad for them! 

In the Lido no more picking up plates in a timely manner, wiping tables , providing water, coffee or helping disabled to seats & carrying plates etc. Hit and miss cleanliness in the public areas. You don’t see the cleaning & polishing hand rails & tables! ( like in years past) I question how much sanitizing they are doing? 

Rough, sometimes stained, and raggedy linens & towels. 

Food is fair to poor except in the specialty restaurants.

Perrier? Apparently they have never heard of it. Stevia , listed as available but non existent, bring your own, glad I did!!

We are hopeful for a better experience this coming week! 
Certainly not the HAL of yesteryear’s! 

• Like 1

San Diego has a reputation of  poor terminal operations. On a recent stopover we found it somewhat improved over past experiences. We’ve experienced some poor embarkations and it’s usually caused by technical failures that can really backup operations.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

The crew continues to be the highlight. So friendly and helpful!! They are tremendously over worked and short staffed! I feel bad for them! 

In the Lido no more picking up plates in a timely manner, wiping tables , providing water, coffee or helping disabled to seats & carrying plates etc. Hit and miss cleanliness in the public areas. You don’t see the cleaning & polishing hand rails & tables! ( like in years past) I question how much sanitizing they are doing? 

Perrier? Apparently they have never heard of it. Stevia , listed as available but non existent, bring your own, glad I did!!

I looks forward to hearing about your second week on board the Westerdam. Now that they have gotten their feet wet so to speak in Alaska mode 7 day cruises the crew may be getting a little bit more into routine. Let us know what things are happening for Alaska cruising.  Thanks so much!!

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, Coolcruise02 said:

By comparison, although Disney Cruise Line uses the manning agency for their ships, a Disney representative trains the shoreside staff in home ports before the cruise season begins. Disney is very particular about how staff is to interact with their guests, so training is mandatory. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

By any chance have you mentioned your observations to fellow passengers ? Do they share your concerns ? 

On 5/12/2023 at 5:17 PM, 1teach53 said:

Good news!🥂 Just got the message we can remain in our cabin!! 👏🏻

I am so glad to hear that! When a cruise starts off as badly as yours did, it makes you more likely to react and be annoyed by little things that would otherwise shrug off with "ship happens." 

So enjoy YOUR cabin!!!! and the rest of your cruise. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

By comparison, although Disney Cruise Line uses the manning agency for their ships, a Disney representative trains the shoreside staff in home ports before the cruise season begins. Disney is very particular about how staff is to interact with their guests, so training is mandatory. 

That was my thought after it was explained to me that HAL uses an outside agency. It is still their responsibility to provide and require good training.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, Coolcruise02 said:

IMO this is now "the norm" in today's society.  That doesn't make it right, just it is what it is....we all will have to deal with it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

For what they charge they can certainly afford that.  Meanwhile in the real world you are lucky to get a half hour training any place I’ve worked and I’ve held technically difficult jobs all of my working career.  You sink or swim.  I’ve taken over several of my bosses responsibilities in the last month.  Not only am I trying to get caught up from being away I got about 10 minutes training on it.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

On the Westerdam now and a platinum Mariner. We sailed Princess 2 months ago and HAL outshines them in my book. Everyone has different taste buds. Both my DH and myself think the food is better than Princess. Service has been excellent so far. No complaints. No sign of poor quality linens etc. We were on the Westerdam 20 years ago and she still looks good. 

• Like 7