Arvia Adventure Begins - May 2023

Megabear2

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

9.45 first announcement no shuttles and due to weather we are holding people on-board until shuttles return.  It's now started to bucket down again!

I was going to take port shuttle but currently not allowed to go through security.  I've decided to sit tight, gone back to Quays for more coffee. Now a bit less full but the Keep & Cow area is rapidly filling.

If the rain doesn't stop I might pass on going in, although I'll visit the terminal as I'm looking for a Dali elephant I couldn't buy last year due to time limitations.

We shall see. Lots of miserable looking people wandering around now.

That's a shame about the weather; hope it clears up soon.

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

9.45 first announcement no shuttles and due to weather we are holding people on-board until shuttles return.  It's now started to bucket down again!

I was going to take port shuttle but currently not allowed to go through security.  I've decided to sit tight, gone back to Quays for more coffee. Now a bit less full but the Keep & Cow area is rapidly filling.

If the rain doesn't stop I might pass on going in, although I'll visit the terminal as I'm looking for a Dali elephant I couldn't buy last year due to time limitations.

According to BBC weather it might improve by noon but there are a lot of thunderstorms in that area for the next few days. Thats bad luck MB , i hope the weather gets better for you tomorrow. 

Elephant.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

This is certainly the cruise that keeps on giving! I can imagine alot of passengers are frustrated.

Did all the excursions leave or have they been stopped as well?

Enjoy your coffee! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Plus, of course, the fact that Barcelona port run their own shuttles in addition to those provided by P&O.  The port shuttles were definitely still running when we were there on Arvia in April.  So, if it is busy, passengers can pick which one they queue for. 

If memory serves me right the port shuttles are €3 or €3.5 each way.  A bit of a saving, if they're running today.  Mind you, when we were on board in April, our cards never got scanned anyway.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Have they explained why the shuttles aren’t running? Rain would surely not affect them, unless it’s  to avoid long queues for them outside in the rain - that would make sense. 

• Like 2

I was surprised that the shuttle was free both ways and we were on a saver fare. Nobody had their card scanned wheras on Iona 18 months ago it was £4 each way but we got a taxi back from the Sagrada familier for 12 euros and got the return shuttle refunded by reception (£8). It was well worth getting the taxi and not having to walk back for the shuttle. 

35 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Mind you, when we were on board in April, our cards never got scanned anyway.

24 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

I was surprised that the shuttle was free both ways and we were on a saver fare. Nobody had their card scanned...

We had our cards scanned just once on that trip, the outbound shuttle in Valencia.  I can understand why they were perhaps not doing it on the return trips, as it was a bit of a 'mare at Valencia and Marseille, but it appeared to be very inconsistent on the outbound shuttles.

11 hours ago, davecttr said:

Arvia and Iona don't have any tenders, they are all survival craft with a capacity of over 300 passengers, maybe over 400

Aren't all the tenders survival craft?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Have they explained why the shuttles aren’t running? Rain would surely not affect them, unless it’s  to avoid long queues for them outside in the rain - that would make sense. 

If it is anything like southern Spain, they just cannot cope with heavy rain. Possibly a combination of narrow drains and the fact that everywhere is often so dry. The roads often turn into rivers very quickly in storms. Locals in Valencia Province have been told not to leave home unless they have to...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Aren't all the tenders survival craft?

Yes but on the older ships the tenders were a different design from the lifeboats and had twin screws for better manoeuvrability. It appears all the survival craft have a lifeboat design on the new ships

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

If memory serves me right the port shuttles are €3 or €3.5 each way.  A bit of a saving, if they're running today.  Mind you, when we were on board in April, our cards never got scanned anyway.

It’s €3 single, €4.50 return. Details here

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/cruise-ship-terminals/shuttle-bus-barcelona-cruise-terminal.html

Brian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

We Brits are used to rain! Should not be a problem. 

Not having that response on here!  Lots of groans and moans but then we haven't had one day when it didn't rain apart from day 2 which I didn't actually see much if. Trying to keep yourself occupied when you can't step out the door and seating is limited has definitely been a problem.  I can see if the weather is Clement there's not going to be a problem  but there certainly is a tight squeeze when it's poor.  Interestingly a lot of the families seem to have the inside cabins, there's a lot of buggies parked in my area overnight.  I'm assuming it's too tight on the cabins with three or four , although well designed mine would be very uncomfortable with any kids in it.  I understand the bigger insides with the sofa do not have a dressing table so perhaps they're much bigger.

Anyway glad to report rain cleared around 11 o'clock and it's now hot and sunny.

We were allowed off about 25 minutes after the announcement about weather. There was a long queue for the shuttle bus but around 7-8 buses there so I'd think they had been held up in the deluge and all arrived at once.

I left them to it and walked over to the port bus stop.  I've bought the return just in case. No one else there  we stopped for MSC Grandiose passengers but loads of room.

Decided to take the train out to Olympic Park to enjoy some peace and now enjoying tapas and sangria. Glad I came off, it's very lovely weather now and am enjoying the spectacular views.  Will stay here for another hour or so and then head back towards the very busy end of town.  I don't envisage anymore shuttle problems today so intend to leave it later.  I have Limelight Club tonight so later (Well for me) dining.

• Like 13

That was the kind of iisue we had on Oceana when we did the Fjords . When the weather was poor all inside areas were rammed and nowhere to sit. That is when it is a real benefit to have a Balcony cabin.

Glad your day got better. Have a good time in the Limelight.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

That was the kind of iisue we had on Oceana when we did the Fjords . When the weather was poor all inside areas were rammed and nowhere to sit. That is when it is a real benefit to have a Balcony cabin.

Glad your day got better. Have a good time in the Limelight.

I have experienced that on Oceana, Aurora and QE. I remember that on Oceana we ended up in the theatre which was not fun as the sea was rough. 

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Not having that response on here!  Lots of groans and moans but then we haven't had one day when it didn't rain apart from day 2 which I didn't actually see much if. Trying to keep yourself occupied when you can't step out the door and seating is limited has definitely been a problem.  I can see if the weather is Clement there's not going to be a problem  but there certainly is a tight squeeze when it's poor.  Interestingly a lot of the families seem to have the inside cabins, there's a lot of buggies parked in my area overnight.  I'm assuming it's too tight on the cabins with three or four , although well designed mine would be very uncomfortable with any kids in it.  I understand the bigger insides with the sofa do not have a dressing table so perhaps they're much bigger.

Anyway glad to report rain cleared around 11 o'clock and it's now hot and sunny.

We were allowed off about 25 minutes after the announcement about weather. There was a long queue for the shuttle bus but around 7-8 buses there so I'd think they had been held up in the deluge and all arrived at once.

I left them to it and walked over to the port bus stop.  I've bought the return just in case. No one else there  we stopped for MSC Grandiose passengers but loads of room.

Decided to take the train out to Olympic Park to enjoy some peace and now enjoying tapas and sangria. Glad I came off, it's very lovely weather now and am enjoying the spectacular views.  Will stay here for another hour or so and then head back towards the very busy end of town.  I don't envisage anymore shuttle problems today so intend to leave it later.  I have Limelight Club tonight so later (Well for me) dining.

Enjoy your evening @Megabear2 I'm pleased you got to enjoy some nice weather in peace with good food today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well the weather is set to be fine all day today in Cadiz MB, lets hope you have an uneventful day and you can enjoy last port port or any tour you have booked, Lisbon weather is looking good for tomorrow so you should get a nice sea day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you have a nice day in Cadiz, MB.  I see you are docked at the slightly further out area, with a couple of Carnival ships in the nearer to the main square  area.

I remember doing a hoho bus here, which was very useful, including going to El Corte Ingles, which is worth a visit if the weather is not wonderful.  Otherwise, we just enjoyed walking round and maybe a people watching drink somewhere.

23 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hope you have a nice day in Cadiz, MB.  I see you are docked at the slightly further out area, with a couple of Carnival ships in the nearer to the main square  area.

I remember doing a hoho bus here, which was very useful, including going to El Corte Ingles, which is worth a visit if the weather is not wonderful.  Otherwise, we just enjoyed walking round and maybe a people watching drink somewhere.

From the look on the cruise mapping sites, Arvia is docked next to the terminal and exit gate to walk straight out into the city.  No port shuttled needed.  Same place we have docked with Iona and Azura.

Ho-Ho's if that your thing just outside the gate.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 6:01 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

You have chIldren in the swim up bar on Arvia?

Not once did I see a child in there in Caribbean

I assume it isn't allowed as there were loads of kids on the ship?

Yes there are children in there on this cruise! 

• Like 1