NCL Getaway or NCL Gem for Mediterranean cruse in June or July

I narrowed down a cruise to 2 of them and see pros and cons with each. They are reach roughly around the same price. I'm a single, late 30s, traveling solo. I viewed the Zuckerberg non CC roll call group and the majority of people traveling have kids with them (I don't hate kids; they are the future....) I was able to view the adult pool area on YT of Getaway and it was underwhelming as the pool itself was tiny and looked like just a wading pool. Seemed like it was geared more towards adults who just want to lay on a lounge chair or maybe get a spot in the hot tub. I am confused though with the adult pool area of the Gem and didn't find the videos helpful. Am I correct in that aside from some small signs, there really isn't any real distinction between the adult pool, adult hot tubs, from the ones anyone can use? I'm just thinking it probably is a free for all and I don't want to be viewed as a "Karen" for actually saying something on the ship  It's not a huge deal breaker if the adult pool/hot tub thing is ignored as it's a port heavy cruise anyway but I just would like to know. 

I like both itineraries on both cruises although on the Getaway the stay in Kusadasi isn't as long as I would have liked, don't care about specialty restaurants, water slides, go carts, or how nice the room is (I'm staying in an inside cabin). I'm just trying to find a way to narrow it down. 

Unfortunately I don't have the  most flexible work schedule so the only time I could take it would be in June or July. I would have love to have done a Virgin Atlantic Cruise but it's a lot more money than I have. My expectations for this cruise is low as it is to primarily use it as a form of transportation, to have a place to sleep, and to have a half board of meals. 

ive been  on both, and a great number of other ncl ships. we loved the getaway. just on general principals/ that being said, i dont care about the pool or jaccuzzi. most of the times i dont even bother to bring a bathing suit, and we've stayed in the haven complex many times also. 

in kusadai, as long as you get to see the ruins at ephesus, you're AOK. after that there's nothing much else there to write home about. 

• Like 1

I’ve been on both the Gem and Getaway.  I find the Jewel class ships (Gem) to be preferable to the Breakaway class ships (Getaway) for many reasons. While I’ll be cruising soon on the Escape with family and a kid, the Jewel class ships are more peaceful in my opinion. 

There seems to be an older crowd on the Jewel class but I’ve also seen singles of all ages who seem to hang out together on both ships. My recommendation is to try one and then the other to determine your preference. It’s a cruise and I’m sure you will have a great time!

• Like 1

IMHO, there's more to do entertainment-wise on the Getaway than the Gem, especially at nights.  That said we LOVE the Gem & have been on her MANY times.

All things being equal I'd choose the Getaway.

• Like 2

On another note, we chose the Gem because I think the ports are more amenable to cruising.  They are small and mostly walkable from the ship.  Italy is much better experienced as a land based itinerary, in my opinion.   You miss so much of the charm of Europe by not sitting in piazzas at night or wandering historic walled cities early with no tourists.  Plus Italy, France, and Spain are so easy to visit on your own.  The ports on the Adriatic itinerary are more far flung and not easily connected by train.  You are not going to be on a bus travelling over an hour to get to the sites.  

However, if this was my one stop shot to see Rome, I would do the Getaway and stay as long on the front or back of the cruise as I could.  If there is one place I would recommend to anyone anywhere in the world it is Rome.  Just simply magic.

• Like 1

i totally agree with ilovesalchows (although i confess, i have no idea what a salchow might be) 

every where you turn in rome, there is something marvelous and breathtaking to see.

that being said, however, you cannot discount venice.  sitting and having latte in st marks square, or riding in a gondola is just amazing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ilovesalchows said:

On another note, we chose the Gem because I think the ports are more amenable to cruising.  They are small and mostly walkable from the ship.  Italy is much better experienced as a land based itinerary, in my opinion.   You miss so much of the charm of Europe by not sitting in piazzas at night or wandering historic walled cities early with no tourists.  Plus Italy, France, and Spain are so easy to visit on your own.  The ports on the Adriatic itinerary are more far flung and not easily connected by train.  You are not going to be on a bus travelling over an hour to get to the sites.  

However, if this was my one stop shot to see Rome, I would do the Getaway and stay as long on the front or back of the cruise as I could.  If there is one place I would recommend to anyone anywhere in the world it is Rome.  Just simply magic.

It's Croatia, Greece, and Turkey though 

Edited by UnbridledEnthusiasm

ok, in croatia, just wandering around dubrovnik is great, any of the greek isles are amazing. it's better to take a sponsored shore excursion if you port in santorini, but if you also go to mykonos, just get off the tender and walk around and observe. if you are into archeology, take the tour to delos.

in turkey, the ruins at ephesus are a must, and any tour of istanbul will not disappoint .

we've been on similar tours a number of times, and your unbridled enthusiasm is well founded.  

• Like 1