What's up with Maui Ocean Center?

mooline

Just received this message from NCL regarding the Pride of America's Maui Ocean Center excursion for our June cruise:

We are reaching out to advise that your shore excursion, OGG_02 / MAUI OCEAN CENTER & 3D WHALE EXPERIENCE has been canceled due to operational needs. A full monetary refund of the fare paid is in process and will be automatically refunded to the original form of payment used at time of reservation; no further action is required. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

It looks like both times (8:30 and 11:30 departures) for this ship-sponsored excursion have been cancelled. Any of the Maui residents on this board know what might be up? I went on MOC's website and don't see any closures, so perhaps it's just an NCL thing.

Since this is an overnight port for us, our family members can do the trip on their own. Is the MOC well served by Uber or Lyft?

Thanks to all for your help - as always!

7 hours ago, mooline said:

Just received this message from NCL regarding the Pride of America's Maui Ocean Center excursion for our June cruise:

There may not have been enough people signed up. There is nothing wrong with MOC.

https://mauioceancenter.com/exhibits/humpbacks-of-hawaii/

My family members may choose to visit on their own (which will end up cheaper and more flexible time wise), so this will be a win, I think.

How easy will it be to get a Lyft or Uber from MOC back to the ship on Sunday afternoon?

1 hour ago, mooline said:

How easy will it be to get a Lyft or Uber from MOC back to the ship on Sunday afternoon?

It can be a craps shoot in that area but odds get better in the later afternoon when more drivers come on. I would stagger later in the day than earlier to improve Uber odds if possible.

You should be fine though-- Uber was the best it's been since before covid when we were there the past few months but they tend to concentrate in the Kapalua to Lahaina corridor, Wailea, and the airport. So you are a little in the middle of those where the Maui Ocean Center is but it should be ok. Just pad your travel time a bit. 

9 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

"canceled due to operational needs" 

That says nothing at all and could mean almost anything.

Is t that the truth, @CaribbeanBound? Whose operation? What needs? The NCL forum posts indicate that this phrase is being used often in communication from NCL. Makes me want to take a look at the company’s financials.

Edited by mooline

4 hours ago, mooline said:

Whose operation? What needs? The NCL forum posts indicate that this phrase is being used often in communication from NCL. Makes me want to take a look at the company’s financials.

Its most likely that they didn't have enough interest in the excursion and the cost of the transportation they include (which is higher in Hawaii than a lot of other places that NCL cruises) would cause them to lose money-- so they just cancel it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mooline said:

Very, very helpful @princeton123211. Much appreciated!

If you do get stuck without an Uber we use use a local family taxi company that uses Toyota minivans. Kevin is the owner and he's at 808-205-4555. Typically will use them for longer rides, like from the airport, and use Uber for shorter rides like what you are describing, but they are very reliable if you are in a spot. Cash only so keep that in mind. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, georgiacat said:

We took a taxi to the Maui Ocean Center last week.  We thoroughly enjoyed the center and spent 2-3 hours there.  Don't miss the whale show (theater).  It was very much worth it.

@georgiacat Thanks so much! So, it sounds like it’s easy enough to find a cab or Uber/Lyft back to the ship?

Edited by mooline

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

If you do get stuck without an Uber we use use a local family taxi company that uses Toyota minivans. Kevin is the owner and he's at 808-205-4555. Typically will use them for longer rides, like from the airport, and use Uber for shorter rides like what you are describing, but they are very reliable if you are in a spot. Cash only so keep that in mind. 

Greatly appreciated once again!

@georgiacat Thanks so much! So, it sounds like it’s easy enough to find a cab or Uber/Lyft back to the ship?

If you don't use Kevin, as suggested by princeton123, whoever you do use, arrange a time for them to come back and get you. Getting BACK to the ship is the important part and cabs and Ubers aren't hanging around MOC's location.

24 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

If you don't use Kevin, as suggested by princeton123, whoever you do use, arrange a time for them to come back and get you. Getting BACK to the ship is the important part and cabs and Ubers aren't hanging around MOC's location.

Thanks, good advice. This is an overnight in Maui, so there isn't the usual time pressure to get back. However, since this is an excursion for Grampy with a 6 year old, we'll want to be sure he has a solid escape plan!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Getting BACK to the ship is the important part and cabs and Ubers aren't hanging around MOC's location.

Strictly as a suggestion and not a recommendation (as some people like it and some don't), if all else fails take the  Maui Bus from the Ocean Center to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center and walk over to the ship from there.

• Like 2

Thank you so much, @Silver Sweethearts for the excellent safety net plan! I love all of you on this forum!

Do note that the Maui Bus Lahaina Islander is once an hour. Miss the 4:00PM bus and the next one is 5:00PM, not 4:12PM or 4:17PM like it might be in a big city.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Do note that the Maui Bus Lahaina Islander is once an hour. Miss the 4:00PM bus and the next one is 5:00PM, not 4:12PM or 4:17PM like it might be in a big city.

It is easy on the budget though, as the one-way fare is only $2.00 - and $1.00 for seniors 55+.

• Like 2

Mauibus is great. They run to the minute. You can download the mauibus app for real time info about the exact location of your bus.  I just did a post on how to use the bus to/from Kahalui port in the roll calls, I'll see if I can redo it here.

It's a little over a 1 mile walk from the ship to Queen Ka'ahumanu  center.

image.png.aff0c49b23d0d463b500c738ec49a2b8.png

The Lahaina Islander #20 leaves QueenK on the 30's and leaves Ma'alaea at the top of the  hour. So plan for it. 

image.png.b40f879e6e28339a587b1b3266950745.png

You will only be riding the yellow highlighted section of Lahaina Islander #20 so not a lot of stops to worry about between Ma'alaea Harbor to Queen K. It's showing a 30 minute ride. An uber will obviously be faster but unlike Princeton I have not had great luck with uber/lyft on Maui. The bus is legit. On-time to the minute. 

image.png.ad8f039ab05122eecdc6dbedd7b12928.png

Next year I'm splitting the winter between Maui and a 35 day cruise to Tahati that happens to stop in Maui for a day. It's very likely I'll be using the bus to spend my day ocean center.  Like I said, my personal experience with uber on island is that it isn't all that reliable. The bus is very inexpensive and a bonus is it's good for the environment 🙂  https://www.mauibus.org/

• Like 1

@BermudaBound2014, thanks so very much! I'll share this with Grampy and see how adventurous he feels with his 6 year old charge in tow. Of course, she is more than capable of operating the app for him, and likely could navigate as well. Heck, she can probably drive the bus!!

Seriously, though, thanks again. This looks like a great option, along with Kevin's number in his pocket, just in case something goes amiss. How far is the Ocean Center from the Ma'alaea Harbor stop, and are the bus stop locations east to find?

4 hours ago, mooline said:

@BermudaBound2014 How far is the Ocean Center from the Ma'alaea Harbor stop, and are the bus stop locations east to find?

The bus stops is at Ocean Center but they will have to walk up a staircase to get to admission. Very well marked and very easy. Red line below.

I have never taken the bus from QueenK, so I'm not sure where that bus is in relation to the mall but Queen K is a major transfer for many bus routes so the bus area should be very well marked. The app will give exact gps locations ;-). 

image.png.e5f0729f6be75574a597920921968446.png

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have never taken the bus from QueenK, so I'm not sure where that bus is in relation to the mall but Queen K is a major transfer for many bus routes so the bus area should be very well marked. The app will give exact gps locations ;-). 

Just to give a general idea, you will find the busses between the shopping mall itself and a multi-story parking structure at the Macy's end of the property.   

• Thanks 1