Disturbances Discussions May-Jun-Jul-Aug 2023

PelicanBill

Starting off the 2023 season's discussion threads. My plan is to have 2 threads as you see on the title... will restart for the second half of the season (which is busier and will be Sep-Oct-Nov.)

First, some news!  We already had our first Atlantic tropical system back in JANUARY.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/text/PNSNHC/2023/PNSNHC.202305111500.txt 

Retroactive subtropical storm! It will not be given the first name, so the next storm to make TS strength will be Arlene.

Reminders

When a disturbance gets a name, I will open a dedicated thread if it has enough of a threat to land and cruises.  If it just swirls in the Atlantic I may not.

I watch storms in the Pacific and will note those that threaten land and cruises along the west coasts and Hawaii, but many form and go nowhere and may not get mentioned and watched.

IMPORTANT

I am not a meteorologist. I am an amateur enthusiast and semi-expert.  This is what I try to do:

* Interpret media coverage which is almost always sensationalist

* Interpret official NHC and other data to help understanding

* Interpret possible effects on cruises - careful predictions of POSSIBLE impacts and likely cruise line reactions. Many of us can cite official behaviors like port closing rules. We also remind people of risks of changes and cancellations of itineraries.

* Side discussions on land impacts and storm safety are welcome

Your opinions are always welcome!  Be civil. Don't attack other posts or mine, but you can always say "I disagree" and state why.

And for goodness sake, people, BUY TRIP INSURANCE

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Well some forecasters predicted our first named storm by 11pm eastern yesterday… but nope. And not looking likely. We have a depression not looking likely to develop.

Tropical Storm ARLENE was named as of 2 PM EDT.  The Air Force hurricane hunters declared its existence, and who am I to disagree?  It's not expected to last long as a tropical storm.

To me, by far the most interesting thing about this storm is its current and projected path.  I've never seen a TS or hurricane move south in the Gulf.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the 6/25 Wonder of the Seas Western itinerary...........fingers crossed!!!! When are announcements of itinerary changes usually announced by RCCL? Do you get an e-mail / text or does one need to keep checking the RCCL website often?

Thanks

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

We are on the 6/25 Wonder of the Seas Western itinerary...........fingers crossed!!!! When are announcements of itinerary changes usually announced by RCCL? Do you get an e-mail / text or does one need to keep checking the RCCL website often?

First of all, good luck to you on your upcoming cruise. 🙏

Second, generally, cruise lines will send e-mails and/or texts telling you what you need to do before embarkation.  Once you get onboard, you'll get memos and/or announcements from the captain that will keep you updated.  You can, of course, also check the Web site.  Announcements can come at any time.

Third, in the specific case of Royal, they had a meteorologist (James VanFleet) that did an excellent job of keeping their passengers and also the general public of what was happening weatherwise on the high seas.  Mr. VanFleet is no longer employed by Royal ☹️, and AFAIK, Royal is still looking for another meteorologist. ☹️

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

First of all, good luck to you on your upcoming cruise. 🙏

Second, generally, cruise lines will send e-mails and/or texts telling you what you need to do before embarkation.  Once you get onboard, you'll get memos and/or announcements from the captain that will keep you updated.  You can, of course, also check the Web site.  Announcements can come at any time.

Third, in the specific case of Royal, they had a meteorologist (James VanFleet) that did an excellent job of keeping their passengers and also the general public of what was happening weatherwise on the high seas.  Mr. VanFleet is no longer employed by Royal ☹️, and AFAIK, Royal is still looking for another meteorologist. ☹️

I looked at some "spaghetti models" and it looks like it either will turn North and miss Florida or could continue due East to effect Cozumel, Costa Maya................oh well - the good news is that the ships can avoid the storms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Thanks

144622.png

If the storm follows the currently predicted path, and that's a big 'if', the bulk of the storm should have already moved past your cruise route. That doesn't mean you wouldn't get any less than desirable weather out on the periphery, but you hopefully wouldn't see any huge impact. This assumes you have the same itinerary as the Jul 16 Western Caribbean cruise. The June cruise isn't on their web site anymore.

• Thanks 1

The images haven't updated today, probably because it's only going 15 MPH. But the advisories still have it projected on the same track and speed. It's supposed to speed up some in the next couple of days.

As if Bret wasn’t stressful enough, now the next tropical storm which is expected to be named Cindy is right behind it!  I am leaving NY and am scheduled to be in cape canaveral 6-27 and the Bahamas 6-28/6-29 before returning back to NY.  How much trouble will I be in?

33 minutes ago, AirGump said:

As if Bret wasn’t stressful enough, now the next tropical storm which is expected to be named Cindy is right behind it!  I am leaving NY and am scheduled to be in cape canaveral 6-27 and the Bahamas 6-28/6-29 before returning back to NY.  How much trouble will I be in?

I am guessing - NONE.  Cindy is forecasted to make a turn North and out into the open Atlantic.

We are cruising Sunday (6/25) out of Port Canaveral and not expecting any problems. Our itinerary is the Bahamas and then to the Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan) - Bret should already be past our route but any damage ahead of us is unknown.

• Like 1