Carnival Luminosa Brisbane to Seattle Trip Report

Luminosa will be coming back to Australia after her Alaska season, so here is a bit of info for anyone who might want it. I am happy to answer any questions as well, if you care to ask..although my internet in the wilds of Cornwall, England is currently a little patchy.

Finished this cruise a couple of weeks ago, and must say that my expectations ( which were admittedly low) were all exceeded.

we were in cabin 7402, an aft facing premium  cabin right over the wake.

EMBARKATION

was an absolute shemozzle. We turned up at our allotted time ( 1pm) to be confronted by a queue out the door and 50 metres down the footpath. Mask wearing inside the terminal was not enforced, and Covid tests not asked for. They did check our vaccination certificates and some people were denied boarding as they hadn’t been vaccinated. We finally got on board at about 3pm.

CABIN

very pleased with the cabin..extra long, although the same width ( or perhaps a smidge narrower than a regular balcony cabin. Lots of drawer space with proper handles rather than the hair-tie thingies. Extra closet space. Bathroom was a standard size, but was granite rather than the hideous pink or green plastic. Shower had a glass door rather than a curtain, and some people may find it too small, but it was fine for us. Balcony was huge..perhaps twice the depth of a regular balcony. Bed was firm but comfortable, and pillows were fine. We asked for bathrobes and they were promptly delivered.location was a bit away from the lifts, but very quiet, and handy for the Lido Buffet two floors up. There was, however a lot of creaking as the ship moved..almost as if all the trims were flexing. We could also feel the engine vibrations on occasion, and there was some engine noise. Also, on the balcony the noise of the wake echoed on all the metal surfaces, and we found it unexpectedly loud….but our Noise Cancelling headphones  proved to be a great solution.

FOOD

a solid 7/10 for the buffet, and 8.5/10 for the main dining room.

we had late dining, and had a fabulous table of six..all of us wildly different, but we had so much fun. Kadek and Devi, our waitstaff were wonderful…attentive and good fun, and got to know our names and preferences really quickly. The meals were varied and on the whole, very good indeed. Portion sizes have shrunk a bit since I last sailed Carnival, and that is a good thing.  Azar, the Magician came round most evenings and entertained us…we were astounded by his talent and hope he goes on to have a wonderful career.

the Lido buffet was fine for breakfast, once you worked out what was available and where. The coffee however was absolutely DIRE. Anyone travelling should get the best instant coffee their ego will let them get away with, bring it along, and drink that instead. Decaf teabags were available for most of the cruise, but ran out just before Hawaii..although they were replenished there. The deli had good sandwiches, but there was often a long wait. One Turkey sandwich I ordered was still frozen, and not very appetising. The burgers wereOK..nothing special, but the Pulled Pork at the BBQ was amazingly good. There was always a roast dinner available in the buffet in the evenings, and the Pizza was also very good.

ENTERTAINMENT

there were plenty of vey good musicians on board, and we usually found ourselves gravitating to the Ocean Plaza for the Luminosa Rock Band. I didn’t enjoy the shows so much…I don’t know why choreography for female dancers seems to have them dancing as if they were pole dancers in a strip club. Yes, sure, the odd hip thrust and leg spread gyration might fit, but it was pretty much ALL strip club moves and frankly it got boring. There were a couple of solo acts which were entertaining though.

BARS

most waitstaff we’re great..some remembering us and our preferences very quickly. Service was always good, and we always tipped. Drinks weren’t cheap, but they rarely are on a cruise ship. We didn’t do the drinks package, but made a point of always having what we wanted and when we wanted it, and ended up $1600 better off, so it was a good call for us.

PORTS

we stopped at Suva (meh), Noumea, Papeete and Moorea, and Honolulu. The captain changed the itinerary to get us to Honolulu the day before we were scheduled, which was a great call, as it allowed us to get all the USA immigration stuff out of the way and then enjoy the port the next day. Our favourited were Noumea, where we went to Signal Island, and Moorea, where we did a Stingray Snorkel trip. Some passengers were unhappy that Noumea was pretty closed, as it was Sunday. There were LOTS of Sea days, which suited us really well as we love them, but many passengers were grumbling that they were bored and there wasn’t enough to do. We were very happy though.

GENERAL

The ship is relatively old fashioned now, and lacks many of the amenities that the newer ships offer, but we were pleasantly surprised by the standards around the ship. Thee were a few maintenance issues..the Lido Buffet suffered from a constant leak from the kitchen into the dining room, and you had to be a bit careful where you sat, to avoid drops of condensation falling on you. The decor was tasteful by Carnival’s standards, and there was plenty of public seating. They could get rid of the giant reclining lady in the lobby though, and create a bigger area for dancing..and save a bit on fuel too I expect. On the whole, it was a lovely environment.

we would sail on Luminosa again.

Some photos below..the one of the cup  is a hack for getting a full cup of tea from buffet to cabin without spilling it!

197D00F2-D358-4BD5-96D1-9A0300EB1FF5.jpeg

17387492-6F4F-4C35-88F6-E57002040272.jpeg

47AB1885-98AF-4C68-9987-D16077394F68.jpeg

A36124F3-1553-4212-95DC-A8533CF253A9.jpeg

E8D00ECB-E8CC-4CD8-86D5-FF7D25F09828.jpeg

149EB3B9-010D-4ED8-A788-86DC734F50B3.jpeg

86BC754F-7DCA-4F5C-B430-234B99FDBA29.jpeg

C74F4485-D9D3-4695-901E-E5F30060A51A.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Flash harriet said:

Luminosa will be coming back to Australia after her Alaska season, so here is a bit of info for anyone who might want it. I am happy to answer any questions as well, if you care to ask..although my internet in the wilds of Cornwall, England is currently a little patchy.

Finished this cruise a couple of weeks ago, and must say that my expectations ( which were admittedly low) were all exceeded.

EMBARKATION

was an absolute shemozzle. We turned up at our allotted time ( 1pm) to be confronted by a queue out the door and 50 metres down the footpath. Mask wearing inside the terminal was not enforced, and Covid tests not asked for. They did check our vaccination certificates and some people were denied boarding as they hadn’t been vaccinated. We finally got on board at about 3pm.

CABIN

very pleased with the cabin..extra long, although the same width ( or perhaps a smidge narrower than a regular balcony cabin. Lots of drawer space with proper handles rather than the hair-tie thingies. Extra closet space. Bathroom was a standard size, but was granite rather than the hideous pink or green plastic. Shower had a glass door rather than a curtain, and some people may find it too small, but it was fine for us. Balcony was huge..perhaps twice the depth of a regular balcony. Bed was firm but comfortable, and pillows were fine. We asked for bathrobes and they were promptly delivered.location was a bit away from the lifts, but very quiet, and handy for the Lido Buffet two floors up. There was, however a lot of creaking as the ship moved..almost as if all the trims were flexing. We could also feel the engine vibrations on occasion, and there was some engine noise. Also, on the balcony the noise of the wake echoed on all the metal surfaces, and we found it unexpectedly loud….but our Noise Cancelling headphones  proved to be a great solution.

FOOD

we had late dining, and had a fabulous table of six..all of us wildly different, but we had so much fun. Kadek and Devi, our waitstaff were wonderful…attentive and good fun, and got to know our names and preferences really quickly. The meals were varied and on the whole, very good indeed. Portion sizes have shrunk a bit since I last sailed Carnival, and that is a good thing.  Azar, the Magician came round most evenings and entertained us…we were astounded by his talent and hope he goes on to have a wonderful career.

the Lido buffet was fine for breakfast, once you worked out what was available and where. The coffee however was absolutely DIRE. Anyone travelling should get the best instant coffee their ego will let them get away with, bring it along, and drink that instead. Decaf teabags were available for most of the cruise, but ran out just before Hawaii..although they were replenished there. The deli had good sandwiches, but there was often a long wait. One Turkey sandwich I ordered was still frozen, and not very appetising. The burgers wereOK..nothing special, but the Pulled Pork at the BBQ was amazingly good. There was always a roast dinner available in the buffet in the evenings, and the Pizza was also very good.

ENTERTAINMENT

there were plenty of vey good musicians on board, and we usually found ourselves gravitating to the Ocean Plaza for the Luminosa Rock Band. I didn’t enjoy the shows so much…I don’t know why choreography for female dancers seems to have them dancing as if they were pole dancers in a strip club. Yes, sure, the odd hip thrust and leg spread gyration might fit, but it was pretty much ALL strip club moves and frankly it got boring. There were a couple of solo acts which were entertaining though.

BARS

most waitstaff we’re great..some remembering us and our preferences very quickly. Service was always good, and we always tipped. Drinks weren’t cheap, but they rarely are on a cruise ship. We didn’t do the drinks package, but made a point of always having what we wanted and when we wanted it, and ended up $1600 better off, so it was a good call for us.

PORTS

we stopped at Suva (meh), Noumea, Papeete and Moorea, and Honolulu. The captain changed the itinerary to get us to Honolulu the day before we were scheduled, which was a great call, as it allowed us to get all the USA immigration stuff out of the way and then enjoy the port the next day. Our favourited were Noumea, where we went to Signal Island, and Moorea, where we did a Stingray Snorkel trip. Some passengers were unhappy that Noumea was pretty closed, as it was Sunday. There were LOTS of Sea days, which suited us really well as we love them, but many passengers were grumbling that they were bored and there wasn’t enough to do. We were very happy though.

GENERAL

The ship is relatively old fashioned now, and lacks many of the amenities that the newer ships offer, but we were pleasantly surprised by the standards around the ship. Thee were a few maintenance issues..the Lido Buffet suffered from a constant leak from the kitchen into the dining room, and you had to be a bit careful where you sat, to avoid drops of condensation falling on you. The decor was tasteful by Carnival’s standards, and there was plenty of public seating. They could get rid of the giant reclining lady in the lobby though, and create a bigger area for dancing..and save a bit on fuel too I expect. On the whole, it was a lovely environment.

Some photos below..the one of the cup  is a hack for getting a full cup of tea from buffet to cabin without spilling it!

Thank you, this type of posts are incredibly helpful and informative.

Really appreciate you posting it.

regards

8 hours ago, Flash harriet said:

EMBARKATION

CABIN

FOOD

ENTERTAINMENT

BARS

PORTS

GENERAL

Thanks for your brilliant review.  I like your clever adaption to keep your coffee from spilling between buffet and cabin.  I take a small Thermos flask, which keeps liquid hot for 24 hrs, plus another flask for ice blocks to help keep fridge cold and for a cold drink during the night. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flash harriet said:

You are far more organised than I with the thermos, mmdownunder.packing for this trip has been a nightmare, as we went from tropical heat to freezing Seattle. A thermos would have been very useful.

I need to be when I wake up around 3 am.  Sitting out on the balcony, with my first cup of hot tea, is a perfect start to my day,  Agree going from tropical heat to freezing Seattle takes packing skills. 

Thank you! I love your candour.

I do like the look of the cabin. Brisbane embarkations are so much better. 😉 In Sydney, Carnival had days when Splendor's queues were down to the ferry wharves.

I noticed that Cassidy Rae was doing a resident musician piano & vocals show - did you get to see any of her shows?

On 5/17/2023 at 11:43 AM, windsor26 said:

Thanks for all the good information  Perhaps they will send it or a sister ship to Sydney

I am hearing murmurs that she will do a few cruises out of Sydney in October 2024 before heading back to Brisbane. These will be Rock the Boat/Elvis/Cruising Country charters. Rock the Boat is awesome and priced to match.

On 5/17/2023 at 2:10 AM, MMDown Under said:

On 5/18/2023 at 3:20 AM, arxcards said:

Thank you! I love your candour.

I do like the look of the cabin. Brisbane embarkations are so much better. 😉 In Sydney, Carnival had days when Splendor's queues were down to the ferry wharves.

I noticed that Cassidy Rae was doing a resident musician piano & vocals show - did you get to see any of her shows?

Cassidy was on board and did a show most nights..it is a shame that there isn’t really a proper Piano Bar. I guess the Italians weren’t that interested.

Edited by Flash harriet

11 minutes ago, Flash harriet said:

Cassidy was on board and did a show most nights..it is a shame that there isn’t really a proper Piano Bar. I guess the Italians weren’t that interested.

I agree.  They could rectify the layout so passengers aren’t walking through the Piano Bar.  It would be an easy fix.  Italians are great

singers so that couldn’t be the reason.  It just demonstrates a lack of respect for singing!!

48 minutes ago, Flash harriet said:

They can stand on any bar with an accordion 🤣

It does make a difference though, and the piano bar on Splendor is ready made vs the space on Luminosa.