Costco store in Southampton

I will be cruising out of Southampton without a car and would like to visit the Costco Warehouse store in Southampton before or after the cruise. 

It appears to be a couple of miles from the train station per google maps... Any suggestions on whether to take a taxi or bus or just walk. I will be staying at the

Premiere Inn, so won't be dragging luggage

It looks to be an easy 10-15 minute bus ride from stop BS outside the West Quay shopping centre near the Premier Inn. Routes 6, 8, 9, 11 or 12 all go to Millbrook station, then it’s a short walk from there. Buses run at least every 10 minutes Mon-Sat, less often on Sundays.

35 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

It looks to be an easy 10-15 minute bus ride from stop BS outside the West Quay shopping centre near the Premier Inn. Routes 6, 8, 9, 11 or 12 all go to Millbrook station, then it’s a short walk from there. Buses run at least every 10 minutes Mon-Sat, less often on Sundays.

Thank You

I note that Cosco, as a wholesaler, sells in cases of 12 and most ships restrict how much wine you can bring on board.

Most UK supermarkets sell wine, and prices and varieties are pretty similar to those offered at Costco and you can buy single bottles.

If all you want is a couple of bottles of wine, IMHO taking the trouble to head out of the city centre to Costco just isn't worth the time or trouble, and even taking the bus probably not worth the expense either.

If you want to select from a wide range and with the help of knowledgeable staff, Majestic Wines are opposite the rail station (cruise ship side of the station). No minimum quantity nowadays.

Or buy from a city centre supermarket - ASDA (was part of the Walmart chain) near the coach station, or Marks & Spencer in the West Quay mall, or a number of smaller grocery stores

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Costco store in Southampton
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 8:34 AM, John Bull said:

If all you want is a couple of bottles of wine, IMHO taking the trouble to head out of the city centre to Costco just isn't worth the time or trouble, and even taking the bus probably not worth the expense either.

If you want to select from a wide range and with the help of knowledgeable staff, Majestic Wines are opposite the rail station (cruise ship side of the station). No minimum quantity nowadays.

Or buy from a city centre supermarket - ASDA (was part of the Walmart chain) near the coach station, or Marks & Spencer in the West Quay mall, or a number of smaller grocery stores

JB 🙂

How about Gin?  Looking to buy a bootle before boarding our Oceania cruise.  Or is better ro wait to we get to France?

56 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

How about Gin?  Looking to buy a bootle before boarding our Oceania cruise.  Or is better ro wait to we get to France?

Pre-tax alcohol prices will be broadly similar throughout Europe.

The duty and VAT payable in both countries is quite complex & I don't know which is better value, but prices in UK & throughout the EU are inclusive of all taxes, so your best bet is to google shop prices in the UK & in France.

But taxes on alcohol are high in both countries, whereas there are no taxes on alcohol on cruise ships, on ferries, at airports & such, and altho they all tend to keep a chunk of the savings to themselves they'll all be significantly cheaper than in High Street shops.

So your best bet is to buy duty-free airside at your departure airport (goods bought airside aren't subject to security liquid limits to carry onto the plane, and duty-free allowance into the UK is 4 litres of gin per person !!!). Or buy from the shop on the ship.

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

so your best bet is to google shop prices in the UK & in France.

Google for your preferred drink on the website of a major UK supermarket, such as Tesco, and a French equivalent, such as Carrefour (and convert one or both to the same currency, of course).

On 5/18/2023 at 1:02 AM, Bob++ said:

I note that Cosco, as a wholesaler, sells in cases of 12 and most ships restrict how much wine you can bring on board.

Most UK supermarkets sell wine, and prices and varieties are pretty similar to those offered at Costco and you can buy single bottles.

Interesting that they only sell by the case. Is this a UK policy as it certainly isn't in the US.

Costco UK do sell individual bottles of wine (and spirits).  The cases of wine tends to be the standard ‘plonk’ and the individual bottles of higher quality.  Depending on what’s on promotion at the time, I usually find I can buy a litre of gin or vodka for the same price of a standard (70cl) bottle in a supermarket (for example a litre of Bombay Sapphire for around £20).

Catherine

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 9:02 AM, Bob++ said:

Costco sell their cheapest wines by the case, but there are many available by the bottle.