Classic California Coast Question

lion1956

On 5/19/2023 at 11:27 AM, scottca075 said:

Oh, how was the Colombia cruise? 😁🤣 (Older, native Californians HATE the "Cali" thing much the same way San Franciscans hate "San Fran". Saying "San Fran Cali" could potentially kill someone with a weak constitution).

Even here in CA, if the person who said actually said San Fran Cali happened to die, it would be consider justifiable homicide....

• Haha 5

Mark Twain famously said, the coldest winter I ever spent was Summer in San Francisco.

Our typical summer weather pattern on the west Coast of California is Fog in the morning, burning off to warm in the afternoon.  Then cooler in the evenings and the Fog rolls in again.

On a California cruise, I would definitely take a sweater or even a jacket.  Remember, a ship traveling at over 20 knots creates a wind chill that even in relatively warm temperatures, will make one feel colder that it actually is.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 11:27 AM, scottca075 said:

The Princess brochures and rules may be the same on paper every cruise, but enforcement does vary. I've found the California Coast, Mexican Riviera and Hawaii cruise to have much more lax enforcement than Caribbean Cruises and the Mediterranean Cruises may or may not have stricter enforcement, but many more people adhere to the guidelines.

Knowledge of the apparent less enforcement on California Coast, Mexican Riviera and Hawaii cruises trickles down to future cruisers. I've been on all three of these cruises in the last 18 months. Ironically I saw more tuxedos on the HI cruises, but that may be because with so many Sea Days, dressing up is something to do.

Oh, how was the Colombia cruise? 😁🤣 (Older, native Californians HATE the "Cali" thing much the same way San Franciscans hate "San Fran". Saying "San Fran Cali" could potentially kill someone with a weak constitution).

For the OP, I've never seen shorts in the MDR on Formal Night. I have occasionally seen shorts in the MDR on other nights and shorts in Specialty Dining. On Formal Nights I wear a sport coat (or I don't go to the MDR). I haven't taken a tie since 2017.

23 hours ago, miagirl said:

Even here in CA, if the person who said actually said San Fran Cali happened to die, it would be consider justifiable homicide....

You forgot to mention "Frisco". 🤪

• Like 3

I have seen tuxedos and kilts on a coastal cruise (very recently).  Long dresses, sequins, etc.  I don’t any more. Basic black dress is my style.  Sport coats for men. 

Always cold.  Sweater, wrap, sweatshirt.  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, ChemistBabe said:

We live in the bay area and NEVER go anywhere at night without a sweater.  Once the sun drops, it starts cooling down FAST.

The vendors at Pier 39 make a fortune selling hoodies to tourists who think that they won't need a sweater in California in the summer.

I'm in NorCal (did that hurt, bahahaha) and never need a jacket at night, but I sure do in SF (acceptable?  more laughter).  

I made the lack of jacket after dark mistake ONCE in SF.  Now I know better.  

• Like 2

October is the only month that you may see consistent, pleasant weather in SF without a marine layer or cold winds. The coastal areas have their share of marine layer issues year-round and evenings still can be quite brisk on deck.

I once had an exchange student over a summer and she was headed to SF with the rest of the students and was convinced she did not need a jacket, She ended up buying TWO sweatshirts on that trip. If you don’t mind shopping, you can gamble without a jacket or sweater. 😆

On 5/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

When I saw the thread title “Classic California Coast Question” and I read that you’re leaving out of LA, I felt for sure the question would be “ What should I order at In-N-Out Burger before boarding the ship?” That’s what I’d be wondering about! 🍔

I'm a frequent flyer (floater?) from San Pedro, but I don't know the closest In-N-Out to the port.  They are the best hamburgers but the restaurants are not thick on the ground, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

I'm a frequent flyer (floater?) from San Pedro, but I don't know the closest In-N-Out to the port.  They are the best hamburgers but the restaurants are not thick on the ground, unfortunately.

There is an In-N-Out Burger on Western in San Pedro near Trader Joe's.

I like the Double-Double Animal-Style Combo.

Just now, scottca075 said:

There is an In-N-Out Burger on Western in San Pedro near Trader Joe's.

I like the Double-Double Animal-Style Combo.

Thanks!  I’ll remember that next time I’m in san pedro   I am boring. I like the regular cheeseburger. And root beer. 

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

I have several In-N-Outs within a 5 mile radius of my home.  I could never understand the following they have.  But when my daughters visit me...the fist stop is always there.  I don't patronize the establishment if they are not with me.  

French Fries crisp (double fried) and grilled onions on my hamburger.  With a milk shake chaser.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, ChemistBabe said:

The vendors at Pier 39 make a fortune selling hoodies to tourists who think that they won't need a sweater in California in the summer.

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. -- Mark Twain

I tell visitors that. They laugh and don't believe me, I know they don't because they come back with a gift shop jacket.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have several In-N-Outs within a 5 mile radius of my home.  I could never understand the following they have.  But when my daughters visit me...the fist stop is always there.  I don't patronize the establishment if they are not with me.  

French Fries crisp (double fried) and grilled onions on my hamburger.  With a milk shake chaser.

They seem to be more prevalent in some areas. Out here in the hinterlands we’re lucky if there is one per town. A friend’s daughter works in headquarters and they are branching out to other states. She gets to go train new staff in new locations.  Funny thing but she is a vegetarian. 

12 minutes ago, Kay S said:

They seem to be more prevalent in some areas. Out here in the hinterlands we’re lucky if there is one per town. A friend’s daughter works in headquarters and they are branching out to other states. She gets to go train new staff in new locations.  Funny thing but she is a vegetarian. 

My vegetarian friend likes In-N-Out.  Gets a cheese burger without the burger.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Even when I ate meat I didn't get it either. I have one about two miles from my house. When my son came home from deployment it was our first stop. haha