what time to board?

We try to get to the ship around 10:30- 11:00.

Advantages - you beat most of the crowds; you get to check out the ship and take pictures w/o anyone around; you get to eat lunch at the Windjammer; you get to get into your swimsuit and enjoy the pool; you get to have a drink in your hand and look down on those poor souls who are stressed out and getting on the ship at the last minute! You feel like you have gotten 1 extra day of vacation!

Disadvantages - can't think of any!

We just returned from the Radiance. We had transportation through RCCL, arrived at the pier about 11:45 - basically walked right on the ship. We were eating lunch in the Windjammer at 12:15. We couldn't get to our cabin until 1:00 though.

we arrive in MIA @ 8:30 am w/RCI transfers... i had visions of us getting on the ship by 9:30... but after reading the boards i understand that we will have to wait in MIA for a while before the bus takes us to the terminal anyways, etc... but i for one am all for the early getting on as i have to get up so darn early to catch the flight to start with!:D I plan to change in the bathroom if needed and get by the pool asap!

Signed in at 11:00 a.m., had to wait til 11:30 a.m. to board, but we were two of the first four people onboard the ship (I'm platinum now, so we had priority boarding, loved it!). It was so early they didn't even have the "Welcome Aboard" picture area ready, or anyone manning the drink of the day station when you first step into the lobby - lol!!!

That was ok tho - got some incredible pics with NO ONE else on the ship but DD and I (and the crew, who realised people were coming aboard), checked out the layout of the ship, then proceeded to have a leasurely lunch in the Windjammer. We had to wait until 1:00 p.m. to get to our room, so we wandered until then. This worked out so well that I know we'll be early from here out - just started the vacation out right.

Our docs say the same thing... 2 pm boarding. Still plan on being there at 11. Learned from our mistakes... going to pack as much as possible into our checked luggage. Less to carry around until 1. Also, if you plan on swimming at all the 1st day, you might want to carry on your suits... we've had our luggage arrive late enough that we couldn't swim that 1st day.

Just remember - if there is some glitch with customs, etc., and the prior cruise is late in disembarking, you could be waiting quite a while. There's always a thread at some time or another where people were told to come at a certain time, arrived hours earlier and then complained all over the place about having to wait, they were hungry, etc., etc. That having been said, I would probably arrive around noon.

Just remember - if there is some glitch with customs, etc., and the prior cruise is late in disembarking, you could be waiting quite a while. There's always a thread at some time or another where people were told to come at a certain time, arrived hours earlier and then complained all over the place about having to wait, they were hungry, etc., etc. That having been said, I would probably arrive around noon.

This happened to us on our last cruise. The Splendour was late getting in due to weather; she didn't get in till about 1 if I remember correctly. They had a nice lunch of cold cuts and sundrie items for those of us waiting. I think we all decided it was a small party! We enjoyed sitting around talking to one another and making new friends. We even made plans for Quest with a group we sat with that afternoon (and we won!). I think we finally boarded about 4 p.m. We didn't have the lifeboat drill till the next morning.

I think that this is rare, but obviously does happen, and people were fine w/ it.

So for you early-birds, what did with your carry on luggage while you were having lunch or touring the ship, lug it around with you?

Even though the door to our hallway said closed untill 1:00, we opened it (it wasn't locked) and went to our room. Our cabin attendant was there and we asked if we could drop off our one carry on bag. He said yes, so we did, and then we went upstairs to enjoy the buffet.

Since we always fly in the day before we always get to the ship between 11 and 11:30 and have our swim suits on when we arrive with very little in the carry on, but have never had a problem going to the room early and dropping off our carry on.

Flips

So for you early-birds, what did with your carry on luggage while you were having lunch or touring the ship, lug it around with you?

The Radiance offered a place to check carry on baggage near the Cascades while you walked around. It was right near where you got on board. You simply brought the tag back when you were ready for your bag like a coat check. Worked great!

Archived