Re-booking excursion while on board?

CCJack

I have reserved and paid for (via credit card) for a couple of NCL excursions before our upcoming cruise.   However, we are going to end up with some OBC that may exceed what we plan to spend onboard.    Does anyone know if it is possible to cancel an excursion while on board (get refund to cc), then rebook same excursion using OBC?   I have tried this on other cruiselines and they said there is no guarantee you can rebook, as the spots could be taken, or they could be overbooked, etc.   So on other cruiselines, the answer was no.   How about NCL, is this an option?    thanks.

You'll receive a refund to your onboard account. Any refundable onboard credit will be given to you at disembarkation in the form of cash. 

The answer regarding rebooking, using onboard credit, is that the spots could be taken by someone who sees the opening between you canceling and rebooking. Or, a waitlist may exist and they would get your canceled spots. 

But, sounds like you don't want more onboard credit, so I'd advise you against canceling onboard, unless you're ok getting cash upon disembarkation. Be sure NCL uses your non-refundable onboard credit before the refundable onboard credit. Their accounting systems are supposed to do this, but it's always a good idea to confirm. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Or, a waitlist may exist and they would get your canceled spots. 

Has anybody reading ever heard of a "waitlist" for Shorex?

I have the same situation as the OP.  Perhaps my plan will be to go to the Shorex desk when they aren't busy (if such a time exists) and ask "is Shorex abc sold out?"

a) If no, then cancel and rebook.

b) If yes, then ask "can I be put on the waitlist?"

c) "There is no waitlist" - then cancel and rebook

d) "Yes, there is a waitlist" - then keep current booking and find other ways to use OBC

We've prepaid $445 for Shorex on our next cruise and have $200 of non-refundable OBC.  We should be able to make it work.

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Has anybody reading ever heard of a "waitlist" for Shorex?

They definitely have waiting lists for excursions once you get onboard, just not when you pre-book.  Depending on the excursion, they can add another tour if they know there is enough interest.  Or is someone cancels, they fill the slot.

As to whether or not they have to cancel/rebook I can't say for sure.  I've not had any issues then I've had to reprice excursions when they didn't add my latitudes discount but that wasn't changing the payment method.

22 minutes ago, julig22 said:

They definitely have waiting lists for excursions once you get onboard, just not when you pre-book.  Depending on the excursion, they can add another tour if they know there is enough interest.  Or is someone cancels, they fill the slot.

As to whether or not they have to cancel/rebook I can't say for sure.  I've not had any issues then I've had to reprice excursions when they didn't add my latitudes discount but that wasn't changing the payment method.

Thanks.  I'll just try to find a Shorex rep who understands and can help us out.  I've heard that they can make it happen (the shift from refundable credit to non-refundable OBC) but, as with many things with NCL, I probably won't know for sure until I try it.  I believe that only one of the three booked Shorex is a "can't miss," so I likely won't put that one at risk.

if you want the refund back to your CC, cancel the excursion before the cruise.  When you book onboard, you will be charged the full price, and you'll get the $50 discount back to your account after you complete the excursion