We are country bumpkins- help

brnsofia

ok we have always lived in smaller towns so not used to busses or ferrys etc.

I am very overwhelmed with the thought of doing busses etc. I would like to go shopping in hamilton and go to st georges to the caves and maybe the bay for a swim. we are docked at the other end and have an over night there. 

can someone tell me exactly how to do this? bus numbers to take, how to find out what to take and times they leave etc

16 minutes ago, brnsofia said:

I would like to go shopping in hamilton and go to st georges to the caves and maybe the bay for a swim. we are docked at the other end and have an over night there. 

Assuming this means you are docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard both of those places are quite easy and don't even require you taking a bus. There are ferries to both Hamilton and St Georges that are very easy from the Dockyard and are much faster than taking a bus. 

The Blue Ferry will take you to Hamilton and the Orange Ferry will take you to St Georges. Also, if you are sailing on NCL, they offer a free ferry to St Georges for their passengers which is separate. 

To get to Horseshoe Bay you can take a minibus and pay per person from where you are docked-- super easy. 

If you want to avoid the busses and venture further in the island than just Hamilton and St Georges you can also hire a taxi which is quite easy (but is obviously more expensive). 

17 hours ago, brnsofia said:

ok we have always lived in smaller towns so not used to busses or ferrys etc.

I am very overwhelmed with the thought of doing busses etc. I would like to go shopping in hamilton and go to st georges to the caves and maybe the bay for a swim. we are docked at the other end and have an over night there. 

can someone tell me exactly how to do this? bus numbers to take, how to find out what to take and times they leave etc

It is easy to take the ferry to Hamilton for shopping. I answered your questions about St. George and Crystal Caves and Tobacco Bay Bay in a couple of other threads. You can take a minibus to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard.

No need to take any buses anywhere on the island although the buses are easy and and inexpensive option.These days I take a combo of ferries and taxis because a taxi is worth the expense to me but I have taken many buses in Bermuda in the past. Bermuda is more like small town than a city. Only 67,000 residents over 25 miles.

Ferry schedule. http://www.rccbermuda.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer Ferry Schedule 2023.pdf

Bus schedule. https://www.gotobermuda.com/sites/default/files/2022-10/Bus_Schedule_EFFECTIVE_31January2022[1].pdf

Edited by Charles4515

21 hours ago, brnsofia said:

Hi Brnsofia - I know it seems intimidating at first - but follow the crowds. Sit with others at dinner and maybe they are planning same thing. Also, are you on a roll call for your trip? Its a great way to get to know others traveling same week as you. Sometimes people coordinate via their roll call. Cruise Critic has a place for Roll Calls (look for sailing date and ship) as well as other social networking sites like Fb. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You mentioned shopping in Hamilton.

Unfortunately, many of the lovely shops

such as Trimimghams, Blucks and the Irish Linen Shop are closed. 
There are nice stores in the Hamilton Princess although high end.

So, I am not certain how much shopping you will be able to do.

MJ

46 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

MJ

I always seem to find something at The English Sports Shop on Front St. 

19 hours ago, MJSailors said:

MJ

Coopers, although changed, still has some nice things and there's a cute gift shop next to the book store.

17 minutes ago, meglet said:

Coopers, although changed, still has some nice things and there's a cute gift shop next to the book store.

AS Cooper was liquidated last year.

https://www.royalgazette.com/local-business/business/article/20221020/end-of-an-era-as-as-cooper-and-sons-is-wound-up/#:~:text=Unsecured creditors of one of,joint provisional liquidators has revealed.