Shows that we can see without reservations?

tbmrt

I've been reading that many people on recent VV caribbean cruises were unable to book shows even if they tried as soon as they boarded.  I'm thinking that it may be more difficult due to full ships lately.

If we are unable to get reservations to shows, are there any we can see by standing in the back or waiting in a line hoping to get in?

4 hours ago, tbmrt said:

If we are unable to get reservations to shows, are there any we can see by standing in the back or waiting in a line hoping to get in?

Dont forget shows in "On the rocks" and "The Dock House" are open bars so you just turn up nice and early and snag a chair with a view, and some snacks, and wait for the shows to start. 

• Like 1

Shows that require reservations have a standby line.  MANY people make reservations and then don't show up.

Shows that put notifications on your schedule but don't require reservations, just go about 15-30 minutes early.  Seating generally starts about 15 minutes before show time.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help. I didn't think reservations were taken for Around the World with the Diva.  

21 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Always try for standby. 

But the shows in the Manor like around the world with the diva and the hostess sings don’t really need reservations but you may be stood at the back. 

I didn't think Around the World with the Diva took reservations at all.  Should this be booked when we board if we don't want to stand in the back?  

1 hour ago, tbmrt said:

Thanks for all your help. I didn't think reservations were taken for Around the World with the Diva.  

I didn't think Around the World with the Diva took reservations at all.  Should this be booked when we board if we don't want to stand in the back?  

I don’t think it does, but others have reported otherwise. I’ve always just dropped into the show late and got stools at the back or stood so don’t know if they scan bands at the start time. 

• Like 1

Some people don't understand the difference between a "reservation" (where there are limited seats and having the reservation means that a seat is kept for you until 5 minutes before show time) and adding a "reminder" to the schedule on the app which just adds a notification to your daily schedule.  The difference is clear on the app.  A reservation requires you to enter the names/number of sailors attending by clicking their photos and you are typically only able to reserve one session of this show initially.  A reminder just adds it to your daily schedule without requiring names or number of persons.

Many shows don't require reservations, but are on a "first come, first seated" basis.

• Like 2

If the app has a button called "Book" it's a specific reservation for you/your party and you're guaranteed admission, you may also be charged a no show fee for the workout classes. If it says "Add to agenda" it's just a reminder and nothing more. Both will show up in the Me tab of the app. 

• Like 1

As soon as I get on the ship I book the shows I want - a couple times I haven't gotten a booking and just went to standby and everyone in the standby line got in. 

I've also attended lots of "Sold Out" shows on Virgin ships and the theatre was 50% or so full - I've only seen the Red Room full once and that was for 1 show of Duel Reality (they showed it 4 times on that voyage and only 1 was actually full even though they were all "sold out").  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Travel-and-See said:

I've only seen the Red Room full once and that was for 1 show of Duel Reality (they showed it 4 times on that voyage and only 1 was actually full even though they were all "sold out").

I wouldn't be surprised if they start implementing a cancellation fee for no-shows to events like they do with workout classes, or limit you to 1 reservation for each show during your voyage like they do with dinner reservation.  It's annoying when people book a zillion reservations for the same show and no show.  Yes, it allows standby people to come in, but it's irritating that those people even have to stand by in the first place.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they start implementing a cancellation fee for no-shows to events like they do with workout classes, or limit you to 1 reservation for each show during your voyage like they do with dinner reservation.  It's annoying when people book a zillion reservations for the same show and no show.  Yes, it allows standby people to come in, but it's irritating that those people even have to stand by in the first place.

I think the one reservation per person per show would be the simplest answer. 

• Like 2

I don't think Virgin needs to take reservations for the Red Room shows. Just open the doors and make it "first come first serve." 

The Manor is a little small for how they use it, so they probably need to keep reservations for those shows, especially Ship Show since it's a diner show. 

Reservations for Restaurants and Shows are one of my biggest complaints about Virgin compared to other cruise lines - the one area where Virgin has complicated things compared to other lines. 

I like to know that if I show up for dinner, I will be seated at my scheduled time.  I've also seen shows where they went down the line and made a separate line for people without reservations.  I wouldn't be happy if I had to show up for a given show 3 times hoping to get in each time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some shows are fully booked, but if you check the day or night of the show, there may be cancellations.  I was able to get into a previously fully booked show without having to wait in the standby line by checking the status of the show the same day/night.

• Like 1