Saqueney, Corner Brook p, Sydney Cape Briton, thoughts?

McFins

Hi looking at an itinerary that includes Saqueney, Corner Brook and Sydney Cape Briton in mid September.  The main draw is that it is leaving from Quebec City which we really want to visit.    Any  thoughts you have on those ports good/bad would be appreciated.  Also is the mid Sept timeframe any better than early October?    Are we really missing anything since our itinerary does not include Charlottetown PEI?    Thanks for any thoughts you care to provide

We are in a similar situation, I really wanted to spend a couple nights in QC before our cruise, so we are booked on the 9/13/23 NCL Joy, which visits the stops you list, plus Halifax and ends in NYC.   I have not been to the 3 you list, although I have visited PEI and NS on previous land trips.  I am thinking (hoping) that the sail in to Saqueney will be very beautiful along the Sagueney river.   This is another reason I chose this itinerary.     In Corner Brook we are taking an excursion to Gros Morne N.P.    I would be surprised if that is a disappointment, I understand it is a beautiful park.   

I do think the # of excursions that NCL is offering is somewhat limited,  but that may say more about NCL than it does about the ports.   There are independent excursion options at each port from what I can tell.

Edited by CCJack

We're doing a different cruise and not all the same ports. However, for both Sydney and Corner Brook I've hired a car for the day so that we can visit Louisburg and Gros Morne NP respectively. 

I'd disagree re the comment about limited options. The Caribbean has a lot of manufactured things to do e.g. water sports etc. But this area of Canada has an amazing history, and we are very excited about some of the options of places we have to go to. These are tiny settlements though - I'd do your research up front and decide what you are going to do in advance and book it. There are not going to be hoards of operators at the port touting for your business. 

In Saguenay (La Baie), QE, we rental at car right at the port and drove out to Saguenay Fjord National Park where we hiked out to the Statue Notre-Dame du Saguenay (aka Our Lady of Saguenay).  The hike is not too difficult, but pace yourself going uphill.  The views are gorgeous.

On 5/22/2023 at 4:14 PM, ddaz said:

In Saguenay (La Baie), QE, we rental at car right at the port and drove out to Saguenay Fjord National Park where we hiked out to the Statue Notre-Dame du Saguenay (aka Our Lady of Saguenay).  The hike is not too difficult, but pace yourself going uphill.  The views are gorgeous.

What company did your reserve your car through?

On 5/22/2023 at 5:14 PM, ddaz said:

It sounds like fun,,,,, Could you tell a little more about the hike?   Is there a parking lot at the national park? Trailheads and marked trails to the Statue?   Restrooms?    From the map, I don't see any parking available.   Thanks..

8 hours ago, CCJack said:

It sounds like fun,,,,, Could you tell a little more about the hike?   Is there a parking lot at the national park? Trailheads and marked trails to the Statue?   Restrooms?    From the map, I don't see any parking available.   Thanks..

Howdy CCJack,

Yes, there is a parking lot at the national park.  You will need to park at "Le Fjord du Saguenay Discovery and Visitors Centre".  Google maps will be able to provide directions to this location.  I don't know which map you reviewed, as I had trouble finding a map that was helpful and I've been there once before.  Here is a link to the map from the National Park.

sag_carte_generale_ouest.pdf (imagescloud.s3.amazonaws.com)

Below is a section of this map which I will attempt to describe.  The orange box points to the Discovery/Visitor Center.  There are restrooms at this location, but none along the trail.  The trail is strenuous due to elevation gains, but very doable.  The views are worth the effort.  The end of the trail is at the Statue de Notre-Dame-du-Saguenay/Statue of Our Lady of Saguenay which is near "Cap Trinite" on the map below.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

image.thumb.jpeg.00a67d0e1d3e75695715190c8274a7c7.jpeg

22 hours ago, parentsof5 said:

What company did your reserve your car through?

Howdy Parentsof5,

I believe the answer to the question as asked is National.  Per a post which I saw on these cruise critic boards, the email address to secure a reservation is 

sarajane.talbot@gmail.com
National Location Talbot
418-549-3888

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CCJack said:

Howdy CCJack,

Another link which will provide somewhat clearer information:

sag_guide_visiteur_en.pdf (sepaq.com)

On 5/21/2023 at 4:02 PM, CCJack said:

We are in a similar situation, I really wanted to spend a couple nights in QC before our cruise, so we are booked on the 9/13/23 NCL Joy, which visits the stops you list, plus Halifax and ends in NYC.   I have not been to the 3 you list, although I have visited PEI and NS on previous land trips.  I am thinking (hoping) that the sail in to Saqueney will be very beautiful along the Sagueney river.   This is another reason I chose this itinerary.     In Corner Brook we are taking an excursion to Gros Morne N.P.    I would be surprised if that is a disappointment, I understand it is a beautiful park.   

I do think the # of excursions that NCL is offering is somewhat limited,  but that may say more about NCL than it does about the ports.   There are independent excursion options at each port from what I can tell.

Thanks CC.  Still looking at this cruise.  We typically book much more in advance but just getting around to it now.   Maybe we will see you onboard!

On 5/21/2023 at 4:17 PM, LHT28 said:

I think it depends on your interests

There are limited things  to do in those areas  not like  in the Caribbean

I would look at the  Tourism boards   & see what is there  then decide  what works for you

https://tourisme.saguenay.ca/files/cartes_et_brochures/magazine_croisieres_2018_anglais_web.pdf

Thank you LHT, that's a great link/brochure.  much appreciated! 

On 5/22/2023 at 5:14 PM, ddaz said:

Thanks ddaz

Follow up question--- Is there anything to see if you just want to get off the ship and walk around a bit in these ports?   Haven't booked the cruise yet and just want to know what to expect if we are too late in booking excursions.

Thanks as always for your help

1 hour ago, McFins said:

Follow up question--- Is there anything to see if you just want to get off the ship and walk around a bit in these ports?   Haven't booked the cruise yet and just want to know what to expect if we are too late in booking excursions.

Thanks as always for your help

For the 9/13 NCL cruise, most excursions are still showing up as available on my account.  The only one which I think is sold out is Gros Morne National Park out of Corner Brook, they could add another bus at any time, however, as cruise lines sometimes do.

I don't know the answer to your question, as I have not been to these ports yet.   I am guessing most people leave the port towns for excursions, either by the cruise line or DIY, (with the exception of Halifax.) 

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

For the 9/13 NCL cruise, most excursions are still showing up as available on my account.  The only one which I think is sold out is Gros Morne National Park out of Corner Brook, they could add another bus at any time, however, as cruise lines sometimes do.

I don't know the answer to your question, as I have not been to these ports yet.   I am guessing most people leave the port towns for excursions, either by the cruise line or DIY, (with the exception of Halifax.) 

Thanks so much CC.  Really appreciate it!!!