South Africa Customs and Immigration

In January 2024 we are cruising with Silver Sea round trip Cape Town.  The only domestic flight on the day the cruise ends which works for us is a 10:35 am departure from CPT and the ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am. As our last several ports of call before Cape Town are all in S Africa, will the ship still need to clear customs and immigration in Cape Town before passengers can disembark? Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't try to take a flight that early since it will only stress you out.  With no other flights available to you that day, you will be stuck trying to make alternative plans.  Book a hotel for overnight and fly out the next day.  There are any number of factors which could delay your ship getting into port on time, getting off the ship on time and getting to the airport on time to make your flight.  Why put yourself through that and be stressed at the end of a wonderful holiday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottygordon said:

In January 2024 we are cruising with Silver Sea round trip Cape Town.  The only domestic flight on the day the cruise ends which works for us is a 10:35 am departure from CPT and the ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am……

“Scheduled to dock” and “dock”’are often vastly different things. 
With or without border authorities in the mix, a 10:35AM flight is asking for problems.

6 hours ago, Scottygordon said:

In January 2024 we are cruising with Silver Sea round trip Cape Town.  The only domestic flight on the day the cruise ends which works for us is a 10:35 am departure from CPT and the ship is scheduled to dock at 7 am. As our last several ports of call before Cape Town are all in S Africa, will the ship still need to clear customs and immigration in Cape Town before passengers can disembark? Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.  

You say domestic flight. So you are not flying back to the US? 

Yes, this is a Sunday morning domestic flight to northern S Africa, not an international flight.   I am told a domestic flight does not require the same length of time to check in or board.  That said, I know there is little margin for error. Thus, I am curious if immigration and customs oks are needed for the ship as we will have sailed last from Durban.  
thanks all for your input so far. 

14 minutes ago, Scottygordon said:

Yes, this is a Sunday morning domestic flight to northern S Africa, not an international flight.   I am told a domestic flight does not require the same length of time to check in or board.  That said, I know there is little margin for error. Thus, I am curious if immigration and customs oks are needed for the ship as we will have sailed last from Durban.  
thanks all for your input so far. 

Just to drive a point home. Our most recent cruise several months ago arrived at SYD two hours later than scheduled. Lots of folks who had booked early flights were scrambling to make changes.

And also, in our experience flying in and out of Cape Town, the trip from/to the airport may not be rapid.  and processing at the airport can be somewhat slow. so all good reasons for caution.

However another point, unless you have already had some Cape Town exploring time before your cruise, I would seriously take a few days staying there.  we stayed on for five days independently after our group tour of SA had ended, and really loved the experience. We rented an apartment near the lighthouse, which was walking distance to the historic dock area, and the ho ho bus went past the door.