How to Navigate Non-Refundable Deposits

kjg46

How are Folks booking future cruises with many of the more popular destinations/ships requiring non-refundable deposits?

I was interested in a cruise on the new Sun Princess. However, not excited about the possibility of leaving some major $$$ on the table should 

circumstances prevent me from taking said cruise. Currently, I used my last (FCD) Future Cruise Deposit on an existing booking. I don't see any

$1.00 deposit specials on the horizon.

26 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

How are Folks booking future cruises with many of the more popular destinations/ships requiring non-refundable deposits?

I was interested in a cruise on the new Sun Princess. However, not excited about the possibility of leaving some major $$$ on the table should 

circumstances prevent me from taking said cruise. Currently, I used my last (FCD) Future Cruise Deposit on an existing booking. I don't see any

It's an option. There's also a refundable option. 

3 hours ago, trekkerlady said:

I have been looking at a British Isles cruise in September 2024.  No such thing as refundable at this time for any category/location.  

If it was me, for a cruise that far into the future, I would look at other cruise lines for a refundable fare.  I really don't like, and will not book non-refundable fares unless it's inside the 90 day mark.  But then again, that's me..

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kjg46 said:

Hope the $1 deposits are a thing of the past.

They take up inventory. 

I almost want to play the violin for the OP.  Low cost refundable deposits are a real problem, not just for the cruise lines, but also for many cruisers.  Why?  There are plenty of folks who will book multiple cruises (with low refundable deposits) to hold space and later make up their mind about what they want to do.  We even know folks who book several cruises for the same time because they cannot make up their mind.  That takes those cabins out of inventory and denies access to those of us who are for real with our bookings.  

Many cruise lines have come up with a compromise which is to sell a cruise with a non-refundable deposit at a price point and the same cruise with a refundable deposit at a higher price point.  Those that do not want pay a non-refundable deposit still have the option for refundable, but a a significantly higher price.  

To the OP I would suggest if you are not willing to pay a non-refundable deposit you can either pay a lot more money for a refundable deal or simply wait until you are sure and then either take what is left or look elsewhere.  I have zero sympathy.  Over the years we have booked more than 120 cruises (some over 2 months long) and only cancelled 3 (due to family illness issues).  And I am somewhat embarassed that we had to cancel those cruises.  But even if they had non-refundable depositis, we would have been OK because our credit card covers trip cancellation for most legitimate reasons.

An option for the OP is to purchase a "Cancel for any reason" policy.

Hank

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I almost want to play the violin for the OP.  Low cost refundable deposits are a real problem, not just for the cruise lines, but also for many cruisers.  Why?  There are plenty of folks who will book multiple cruises (with low refundable deposits) to hold space and later make up their mind about what they want to do.  We even know folks who book several cruises for the same time because they cannot make up their mind.  That takes those cabins out of inventory and denies access to those of us who are for real with our bookings.  

Many cruise lines have come up with a compromise which is to sell a cruise with a non-refundable deposit at a price point and the same cruise with a refundable deposit at a higher price point.  Those that do not want pay a non-refundable deposit still have the option for refundable, but a a significantly higher price.  

To the OP I would suggest if you are not willing to pay a non-refundable deposit you can either pay a lot more money for a refundable deal or simply wait until you are sure and then either take what is left or look elsewhere.  I have zero sympathy.  Over the years we have booked more than 120 cruises (some over 2 months long) and only cancelled 3 (due to family illness issues).  And I am somewhat embarassed that we had to cancel those cruises.  But even if they had non-refundable depositis, we would have been OK because our credit card covers trip cancellation for most legitimate reasons.

An option for the OP is to purchase a "Cancel for any reason" policy.

Hank

Couldn't agree more!  

I would never put a deposit down that was non-refundable unless it was inside final payment.  The one time I did $1 deposit it was non refundable.  When I cancelled... they refunded me the $1.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1