Koh Samui

furballPerth

My cruise is still a long way off but I like to plan. I am travelling on Celebrity Solstice Singapore to Hong Kong and believe we will get to Koh Samui by tender. For those who’ve been before, is it possible to just tender to shore and walk around on the beach, go to shops restaurants etc? Or is it necessary to book a tour to make sure you end up somewhere where there are things to see and do? TIA

• Like 1

15 hours ago, furballPerth said:

My cruise is still a long way off but I like to plan. I am travelling on Celebrity Solstice Singapore to Hong Kong and believe we will get to Koh Samui by tender. For those who’ve been before, is it possible to just tender to shore and walk around on the beach, go to shops restaurants etc? Or is it necessary to book a tour to make sure you end up somewhere where there are things to see and do? TIA

I am curious, too, as my wife and I will be on Solstice in Dec calling on Koh Samui (12 night Singapore to Hong Kong).

I have not done a cruise ship to Koh Samui, But I did live in Thailand for seven years, and visit the Island many times. Cruise ships tender on the west side of the island at Nathon Town. When you get off the tender and walk off the pier, you are in the city. It is maybe a 200 meter to 300 yard walk to Nathon Beach. You will find food, shops, etc., right after getting off of the pier. Koh Samui is a small island, it is less than 90 square miles, maybe 25 kilometers at it's widest point (15 miles).

When you get off the pier you will find many offering tours, and things to do. But really you can just walk around. It is a very pretty island, much of it is natural land. An example here, the Hin Lat Waterfall,  is a 15 minutes car ride from the pier, this is a popular tourist spot. Tesco Lotus a major place to shop, like a small US Walmart, is 4-minute walk from the pier. 

I would say not to book a ship's tour, or to pre-book because really lots to do without a tour. On last, point, do not book or rent jet-skis, these rentals are a major problem in Thailand. You will return the jet ski and the operators will claim major damage. Which you will pay or the police will hold you for investigation.  Stay away from jet ski rentals.

I hope this information helps you plan your cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

I have not done a cruise ship to Koh Samui, But I did live in Thailand for seven years, and visit the Island many times. Cruise ships tender on the west side of the island at Nathon Town. When you get off the tender and walk off the pier, you are in the city. It is maybe a 200 meter to 300 yard walk to Nathon Beach. You will find food, shops, etc., right after getting off of the pier. Koh Samui is a small island, it is less than 90 square miles, maybe 25 kilometers at it's widest point (15 miles).

When you get off the pier you will find many offering tours, and things to do. But really you can just walk around. It is a very pretty island, much of it is natural land. An example here, the Hin Lat Waterfall,  is a 15 minutes car ride from the pier, this is a popular tourist spot. Tesco Lotus a major place to shop, like a small US Walmart, is 4-minute walk from the pier. 

I would say not to book a ship's tour, or to pre-book because really lots to do without a tour. On last, point, do not book or rent jet-skis, these rentals are a major problem in Thailand. You will return the jet ski and the operators will claim major damage. Which you will pay or the police will hold you for investigation.  Stay away from jet ski rentals.

I hope this information helps you plan your cruise. 

Thanks for the useful information Expat Cruise. I will take your advice and not book an expensive tour!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

If we wish to venture out to see the Grandma and Grandpa rocks, are taxi easy to get? We have a group of 20, will be be better to hire a bus?

Also, we are debating whether to pay USD 30.00pp for the tour bus to ride into the port at Chan My to pick us up, or simply walk the 600 m. Can anyone shed some light please?? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Mr. Samui arranges wonderful private tours for 2 people or more.  I just spent about two weeks on the island.  For the price of a taxi to Grandmother and Grandfather rocks, you can probably arrange a tour for not too much more and see lots more.  You can go around the island, and see stuff, and have a lovely lunch.  See waterfalls, beaches, temples, go to local markets, ride an elephant if you want, get a super cheap massage-those are everywhere.  I booked many taxi rides with Mr. Samui and was very happy.  He can fit up to 9 in a van, I think.  I find tour by locals usually are pretty high priced. 

When we took a cruise and stopped in Koh Samui, we just tendered over to the beach and walked around exploring on our own. There's plenty to see and do right near the beach - shops, restaurants, massage places, etc. No need to take a tour unless you want to go farther inland or to waterfalls. Just enjoy wandering and see what catches your eye. The beach is beautiful too so don't forget to relax with a drink in hand! You really can't go wrong just exploring on your own from the tender drop off point. Have a wonderful trip!

On 12/5/2023 at 1:31 PM, sambamama said:

Mr. Samui arranges wonderful private tours for 2 people or more.  I just spent about two weeks on the island.  For the price of a taxi to Grandmother and Grandfather rocks, you can probably arrange a tour for not too much more and see lots more.  You can go around the island, and see stuff, and have a lovely lunch.  See waterfalls, beaches, temples, go to local markets, ride an elephant if you want, get a super cheap massage-those are everywhere.  I booked many taxi rides with Mr. Samui and was very happy.  He can fit up to 9 in a van, I think.  I find tour by locals usually are pretty high priced. 

Just booked him for our 10/24 visit. I liked in the reviews, "didn't see another cruise ship  passenger"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2023 at 9:08 AM, sambamama said:

I'm sure you will have a great time. He is arranging a private snorkel trip for 13 of us to the Marine Park in late January. 

On 12/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, sambamama said:

You might want to update your thoughts on this thread after reading your new post........