Cabin Upgrade

As always we have our cabin booked/selected for our up and coming America Cruise,however, me and Mrs JTS were thinking of treating ourselves and upgrading from outside to a balcony if it was Bruce Forsyth

The way we did our sums was by way of deducting what we had paid for our outside cabin from the price of the balcony online for the same  cruise(dummy booking).I know,not an exact science but it was the best idea we could come up with at the time 😆

On that basis popped into our TA today who gave  TUI who came back with a price which was over £100 more expensive than priced on the dummy booking for same.

Through either being tight fisted or principle we decided it was a treat too far so declined TUI price😉😅

To cut a long story short has anyone asked at ship/port check in if they could pay to upgrade?Is that even an option with Marella?

Edited by Jim The Scot

My understanding is that they base it on the cost of the balcony at the time of booking.  Not at the time of the change.  In a way it protects them from people moving their cabins around all the time as soon as there is a better deal.

Unfair perhaps but the other lines do the same unless you are American with RCI when you can do exactly what you are wanting to do based on the current price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

My understanding is that they base it on the cost of the balcony at the time of booking.  Not at the time of the change.  In a way it protects them from people moving their cabins around all the time as soon as there is a better deal.

Unfair perhaps but the other lines do the same unless you are American with RCI when you can do exactly what you are wanting to do based on the current price.

Thanks Dinglebert

TUI are cleverer than I thought if they can remember price of balconies when we booked as booked the cruise last year 😉😁

We just fancied a balcony cabin and wasn,t based on a better deal in fact the outside we booked is cheaper now.The  way we looked at it is  is they,d be getting more money from us if we upgraded to a balcony

17 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Hi JTS, not sure when you are going but maybe try again at the last minute (depending on how many balcony cabins are left)

The price could drop if the ship isn't full.

I,ve a bad habit of tracking prices dronnygirl so will keep an eye on it but if what Dinglebert says it,ll not make any difference if the price drops or not

9 weeks to go and although I know everyone doesn,t pay to select their cabin theres more empty cabins than occupied

I,ll see what they say at check in or guest services once onboard

Edited by Jim The Scot

Hi Jim, I think the cost of an upgrade would be the same price as the day you booked your cruise. At least that has been my experience in the past.

We did upgrade from an outside to a deluxe once on the ship. Reception gave us a price and took us to have a look at the cabin. We didn't think it was worth the extra money. The receptionist said leave it with me and a short time later offered us a better price. Which we accepted.

If there is still a number of unoccupied  balcony cabins on board when you sail you may be able to negotiate a better deal

Having had a balcony cabin on Discovery I have to say there is very little storage compared to inside and outside cabins. I would say if you get the chance to upgrade on board ask to have a look at the cabin first to check out the storage space and the location.

Our balcony cabin was just along from the Coffee Port. Good location and very quiet. We loved having the balcony but struggled with storage space.

Hi Nancy

Hope your well and good to see you back on the forum

Yeah it would appear they,re basing the price upgrade from the time we booked but I,ve know way of knowing what that price was as booked it last year.TUI could be plucking a price out of mid air for all I know 😉😅

I,ll ask at reception once onboard and we have a figure in mind what we,re willing to pay and will stick to it.Any more and we,ll keep our money,all the more spends for Florida on our 2nd week

The balcony cabins have all had an upgrade but not sure if that incorporated more storage space.Saying that, being male I dont require much storage space but might affect Mrs JTS 😁.Funny you should mention the balcony cabin you had was just along from coffee port as thats one of the ones we were after

I know everyone doesn,t select their cabin but keeping tabs on availability and cabin location so will have a rough idea whats unoccupied when we go

Last October, a Friend of Ours went to reception on the 1st day and enquired about an upgrade to a balcony from an inside cabin Deck 4 and within 30 mins had an answer to deck 8 Balcony for £100 Bargain considering she was single and had an inside Cabin.

So I tried and Reception would let me know in 30 mins.... Got a message to go to reception..yes I thought her we go..bargain upgrade? Wrong..I was quoted £400 to upgrade from outside cabin to Balcony. I wasn't that interested. our friend still laughs about it to this day. As I joked, she only got it because she had Boobs 😇 😁 

2 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Hi Nancy

Hope your well and good to see you back on the forum

Yeah it would appear they,re basing the price upgrade from the time we booked but I,ve know way of knowing what that price was as booked it last year.TUI could be plucking a price out of mid air for all I know 😉😅

I,ll ask at reception once onboard and we have a figure in mind what we,re willing to pay and will stick to it.Any more and we,ll keep our money,all the more spends for Florida on our 2nd week

The balcony cabins have all had an upgrade but not sure if that incorporated more storage space.Saying that, being male I dont require much storage space but might affect Mrs JTS 😁.Funny you should mention the balcony cabin you had was just along from coffee port as thats one of the ones we were after

I know everyone doesn,t select their cabin but keeping tabs on availability and cabin location so will have a rough idea whats unoccupied when we go

All good here Jim. Hope same with you and yours. 

That's good that the balcony cabins have been upgraded. The only problem we had with our cabin was the lack of storage otherwise it was fine. Had a balcony cabin on the good old Celebration. Those cabins were quite bit bigger than the ones on Discovery. They had a sunbed, table and two chairs. Discovery only had table and two chairs. Still we enjoyed sitting out with a coffee in the morning and a drink before bed. 

Hope you are lucky and get a good deal on board. Enjoy!

We,re dinky doo Nancy apart from the aches and pains which comes with the ageing process 😅

We,ve only had a cabin twice in all the cruises we have been on

First time was on Ocean Village 2 many moons ago and second time was just last year on Discovery 2,we were given a delux balcony cabin on deck 7 as  a freebie but thats only because myself and Mrs JTS came down with covid 3 days into our cruise and were moved there as they were using these cabins as isolation cabins 😷

Lovely cabin but unfortunately too unwell to enjoy it but such is life