seafood boil on Alaska cruises

sirclean

Before Covid, there was a night that they would have a seafood boil/crab pot meal. It was an extra charge, and if I recall it was held in a roped off section of the buffet.  IT would have crab legs, shrimp, potatoes and corn (from what I remember).  Back then, you would sign up on the first day or so for a night, or some servers would walk around with crab leg hats and a sign up sheet. 

Im sure now there is a way to do it on the Ap IF it still exists.  Is anyone seeing anything like this (or remember it from the Olden Days and can better remember the name of it) on the current ships?  (I may have missed the discussion in the current updates)?

4 hours ago, SharkieRools said:

This was the Crab Shack - don't think I've seen it since the restart

I think it was a victim of "new" Princess.  Probably it didn't make a big enough profit for them.

It is sad news to me! 

I have a specialty dining credit and I had planned to use it for the crab boil meal. 

I havent given an alternative a thought.  Not sure if the Crown Grill or Sabatinis would be the better choice.

In your experience, is it possible to book a specialty meal with a credit before we board next week (or do they want me to pay for it when booked until on the ship?)

The Alaskan Red King Crab season has been closed for two years, going on three years. The price of a pound of Red King Crab Legs is about $90 now, for crab from Russia and Norway. At these prices with limited availability, no cruise ships will be able to offer Red King Crab.

A few smaller types of crab are being fished in Alaska, but everyone wants the best, Red King. Guest should not look for seafood boil/crab pot meals, or anything close to this. 

Cruise Lines can fly in Maine Lobster and get 4 to 5 pounds of Lobster vs one pound of King Crab legs. 

Guest ldtr
On 5/22/2023 at 8:36 PM, Kay S said:

I think it was a victim of "new" Princess.  Probably it didn't make a big enough profit for them.

or a victim if the failed crab season last year and sharply elevated crab prices.

Guest ldtr
9 hours ago, sirclean said:

It is sad news to me! 

I have a specialty dining credit and I had planned to use it for the crab boil meal. 

I havent given an alternative a thought.  Not sure if the Crown Grill or Sabatinis would be the better choice.

In your experience, is it possible to book a specialty meal with a credit before we board next week (or do they want me to pay for it when booked until on the ship?)

Considering that the crab boil, and planks was a much lower price it would be pretty much a waste of the credit.

This is what The Crab House in Icy Strait Point offers at the moment (May 03, 2023): 

IMG_3271.thumb.JPG.631abfd39650a89a62fc28533dca11f4.JPG

No King Crab for a reason.
In older web pictures (pre-Covid), they also had King Crab on their menu. 

Edited by EDVM96

2 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

This is what The Crab House in Icy Strait Point offers at the moment: 

IMG_3271.thumb.JPG.631abfd39650a89a62fc28533dca11f4.JPG

No King Crab for a reason.
In older web pictures (pre-Covid), they also had King Crab on their menu. 

is it flash frozen and pre-cooked - then steamed to heat up?  or caught daily?

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

is it flash frozen and pre-cooked - then steamed to heat up?  or caught daily?

I made the mistake and did not try it, so I don't know.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Thanks 1