Question about outlet extender + USB charger

52 minutes ago, screenname2004 said:

Is something like the attached picture acceptable to Royal Caribbean or other cruise lines? Do they only object to power extension with a power cord?

I have had mixed results with a block very similar to that one.  It was recently confiscated in Miami (Terminal G).  I did not bother to retrieve it.  Even though it may say "no surge protection" and perhaps there actually is no surge protection, but the screeners at the ports don't care about what it says....if they decide that it's not appropriate, it will be confiscated.  It's almost 100% guaranteed that anything with a power cord will be confiscated.  I have used the one below for my past few cruises and so far, no issues.  I completely understand that these look almost identical to what you are showing, but these plug into the Euro plugs rather than the US plugs.

image.png.201c93bf523676d8cd269839f166a7a3.png

image.png.a9d26c2539095a7cc7aa3c68fc987f6f.png

image.png.5308e2f710b5c3161cc5324a1817e324.png

I am not an expert in any form, but I have been following these posts for awhile. While the original concern was around surge protectors not protecting as expected, it seems the common theme now is 1 outlet to multiple outlets.  If you think about it, if you have 1 outlet and plug in a cord or device that gives you 3, that is potentially 3 times the load.  If you plug in a couple of hair dryers than it is more load than anticipated. So the first device which had 3 outlets would be more likely to be taken than the 2nd one that had 1 outlet plus some USB ports.  For us, we really did not have that many actual devices to plug in.  Most everything we worried about used USB, so a 6 USB charger block was all we needed.  There are no issues with a long USB charging cable either so the phones and tablets did not need to be right next to the outlet.      

17 minutes ago, roseoftx said:

I am not an expert in any form, but I have been following these posts for awhile. While the original concern was around surge protectors not protecting as expected, it seems the common theme now is 1 outlet to multiple outlets.  If you think about it, if you have 1 outlet and plug in a cord or device that gives you 3, that is potentially 3 times the load.  If you plug in a couple of hair dryers than it is more load than anticipated. So the first device which had 3 outlets would be more likely to be taken than the 2nd one that had 1 outlet plus some USB ports.  For us, we really did not have that many actual devices to plug in.  Most everything we worried about used USB, so a 6 USB charger block was all we needed.  There are no issues with a long USB charging cable either so the phones and tablets did not need to be right next to the outlet.      

Not sure about that theory.  When they built Oasis, the outlets were under the desk.  They have added a multi outlet block above the desk that plugs into a single outlet above the desk because of all the complaints.

15 hours ago, roseoftx said:

it seems the common theme now is 1 outlet to multiple outlets.

Because of that, I wonder if a power bank would be a good idea.  They can usually charge a few things at once (at least ours can).   Then it can sit there in the room staying topped up. 
They are allowed aren't they?   I mean those blocks for charging your cell phone when you're away from home.