Does this look strange?

ISABELLA

I was checking on a cruise in Europe for August 24, 2024 - 9 days and this  was under cancellation policy.

Cancellation Fees

Deluxe Porthole View with Veranda

If you cancel your reservation after the dates listed below, you may be subject to additional fees.

Dates

Cancellation fees per guest

07-07-202425% of total cruise fare

07-22-202450% of total cruise fare

08-05-202475% of total cruise fare

09-04-2024No refund except for taxes and fees -??????

First, I think that final payment is 60 or 90 days out and cruise ends September 2. So not sure what all this means.

Does anyone  can explain?

Following -- the more I look at this the more I scratch my head.    It seems they are (or should be) talking about cancellation refunds instead of additional fees.  Still makes no sense to me.  

23 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

I was checking on a cruise in Europe for August 24, 2024 - 9 days and this  was under cancellation policy.

Cancellation Fees

If you cancel your reservation after the dates listed below, you may be subject to additional fees.

Dates

First, I think that final payment is 60 or 90 days out and cruise ends September 2. So not sure what all this means.

The only thing I see strange is there is no space between the date and the percentage of the fee. It should be 07-07-2024 25% of total cruise fare. That’s over 13 months from now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The only thing I see strange is there is no space between the date and the percentage of the fee. It should be 07-07-2024 25% of total cruise fare. That’s over 13 months from now.

What is the 25% of total cruse fare?  Is it an additional fee as stated?   I initially thought it meant  75% of the fare will be refunded.  If so, the way this reads, one could cancel on embark day and still get a 25% refund.    Does that make any sense after final payment date?  

I know I am going to feel silly when I understand what I'm missing here.   

40 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Following -- the more I look at this the more I scratch my head.    It seems they are (or should be) talking about cancellation refunds instead of additional fees.  Still makes no sense to me.  

If you cancel in the last couple days before your cruise, you usually are not entitled to a refund except port fees.  That is what they are referring to here.  After 9/4/2024, the only refund you would get is the port fees.  

I haven't looked at this cruise specifically but if I am understanding OP correctly, this is the part that is a bit odd since the cruise leaves on 8/24.  So the 9/4 date makes absolutely no sense.

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

What is the 25% of total cruse fare?  Is it an additional fee as stated?   I initially thought it meant  75% of the fare will be refunded.  If so, the way this reads, one could cancel on embark day and still get a 25% refund.    Does that make any sense after final payment date?  

I know I am going to feel silly when I understand what I'm missing here.   

The general format of the schedule is pretty typical.  After 7/7/24 but before 7/22/24, you can get a refund of 75% of the cruise.  After 7/22/24 but before 8/5/24, you can get a refund of 50% of the cruise.  After 8/5/24 but before 9/4/24, you can get a refund of 25% of the cruise.  On or after 9/4/24, your only refund is port fees.  But again, it seems the specific dates in this cancellation schedule don't actually match a cruise that leaves on 8/24/24.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, prmssk said:

If you cancel in the last couple days before your cruise, you usually are not entitled to a refund except port fees.  That is what they are referring to here.  After 9/4/2024, the only refund you would get is the port fees.  

I haven't looked at this cruise specifically but if I am understanding OP correctly, this is the part that is a bit odd since the cruise leaves on 8/24.  So the 9/4 date makes absolutely no sense.

The general format of the schedule is pretty typical.  After 7/7/24 but before 7/22/24, you can get a refund of 75% of the cruise.  After 7/22/24 but before 8/5/24, you can get a refund of 50% of the cruise.  After 8/5/24 but before 9/4/24, you can get a refund of 25% of the cruise.  On or after 9/4/24, your only refund is port fees.  But again, it seems the specific dates in this cancellation schedule don't actually match a cruise that leaves on 8/24/24.

Thanks!  it is probably just an error in the dates given in the refund chart.   

4 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Cancellation Fees

Dates

I would agree that the penalty schedule doesn't look right.

From my previous experiences, cancelation fees are kicking in after final payment, which used to be 60 or 90 days, which brings final payment to May 24 or June 24, not July 7.

I am glad I am not alone who is confused.