Carnival Mexican Riviera - Puerta Vallarta - The Greatest Outdoor Adventure with BBQ Lunch

HuffletothePuff

Hello! 

I'm going on the 7 Day Mexican Riviera Cruise this fall and booked the Greatest Outdoor Adventure with BBQ Lunch in Puerta Vallarta. I would love to hear from anyone who has attended this tour. My husband is such an adventurer but I'm definitely on the cautious side and am a little nervous. My main question is would it be possible to skip a portion, I.e the waterfall rappelling and just walk around/down the path? Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 8:07 AM, HuffletothePuff said:

Hello! 

I'm going on the 7 Day Mexican Riviera Cruise this fall and booked the Greatest Outdoor Adventure with BBQ Lunch in Puerta Vallarta. I would love to hear from anyone who has attended this tour. My husband is such an adventurer but I'm definitely on the cautious side and am a little nervous. My main question is would it be possible to skip a portion, I.e the waterfall rappelling and just walk around/down the path? Thanks in advance. 

There are 235, 5 star reviews on the Carnival website for this excursion. You can read the reviews there and maybe someone touches on being able to skip part of the tour.

Skipping the waterfall should not be a problem (but just my opinion). I know there are sometimes when that part is not available if the water flow is too low.

Fall is hurricane season (typically July through late October) on the west coast of Mexico just like it is in the Caribbean so be prepared for that. Generally speaking - the storms develop down around Acapulco and then work northward. Early in the season, they mostly tend to head northwest in the direction of Hawaii, but around early September - the pattern changes and they start hugging the coast more and eventually turn east into Mexico. Landfall can occur anywhere generally from Manzanillo, Mexico to as far north as mid Baja California.

Nothing to be afraid of - just something to be aware of. It will be hot and humid (and rainy at times) in the fall. I would have no qualms sailing that route and have done so in the past. Just understand the potential for port calls to get canceled and/or restructured. We will be at our timeshare in Cabo for 2 weeks beginning the last week of October.

This is a great site to keep track of the weather as you get closer to your cruise.

http://www.eebmike.com/

We have done this excursion twice, most recently last week, lol. It really seems to be one of the best excursions Carnival offers.

There are options to skip a couple of the activities and walk around, I would imagine rappelling would be one you could skip.....however, it really is easy, the guides are actually controlling how quickly you go down, and you dont have to do much.

It's definitely an active excursion. I'm 46 and not in the greatest shape and had a recent foot injury, but all the guides were super helpful and got me through everything with no issues. I would just go for it and enjoy!!!

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 1:51 PM, vickig315 said:

We have done this excursion twice, most recently last week, lol. It really seems to be one of the best excursions Carnival offers.

There are options to skip a couple of the activities and walk around, I would imagine rappelling would be one you could skip.....however, it really is easy, the guides are actually controlling how quickly you go down, and you dont have to do much.

It's definitely an active excursion. I'm 46 and not in the greatest shape and had a recent foot injury, but all the guides were super helpful and got me through everything with no issues. I would just go for it and enjoy!!!

Thank you!! This is very helpful. 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 1:51 PM, vickig315 said:

We are doing this excursion next week.  What kind of shoes would be better, tennis shoes or water shoes?

You definitely get soaked, so I wouldn't wear tennis shoes you care about. Something with some form of traction is helpful though, and there is quite a bit of hiking between ziplines and you go over some rope bridges. We wore crocs water shoes and they seemed ideal. They were a little better than just a basic water shoe because they had an actual crocs sole and decent traction.  Something like tevas would probably be great.