Celebrity Beyond Excursion-Expansion of the Panama Canal- the present and the future

travelbugforever

Has anyone done this tour?  Can you tell me, logistically, what is involved? I don't want to get stuck

in traffic. Also, I am thinking I can learn just as much looking this info up on Youtube or online.

I have read reviews where people get stuck in traffic and it's very HOT in Panama. Thank you.

Have you also asked over in the Celebrity forum?

And it would be helpful, here, if you would post Celebrity's description of the excursion, so that folks who are familiar with the Canal can at least offer some thoughts.

And yes, it's hot in Panama.  No surprise.  Panama City is at 8.9* N latitude.   

Here is an answer I posted a couple of months ago for a similar question.  I don't know if the whole link is displayed above, but click on the title box and it will take you to the original post.

While you can never predict what the traffic gods have in store to create something beyond gridlock, the excursion is over good road roads for the most part, a fair amount interstate quality.  The legendary traffic jams are usually confined to metropolitan Panama City or the bridges that lead to the western part of the country during holiday periods.  Those bridges would not be on your route.

One other note, the tour could operate in reverse order, Agua Clara first then to Miraflores.  They may do that to maximize the opportunity of seeing ships in the lock.

Is your cruise doing a partial transit, or is it just a port call in Colon?  If a partial transit, you will go thru the Agua Clara expansion locks and wouldn’t need that part of the excursion.  Look for something that takes you through some of the original locks.  EM

Destination Highlight: Expansion of the Panama Canal "The Present and The Future"

Day 5 - Colon, Panama

This is the description

Reserve

Overview

Discover the workings of one of the most incredible engineering marvels in the world: the Panama Canal. Your tour begins at Miraflores Locks, where you'll see how the canal works up-close. You'll learn about this incredible engineering marvel, before your journey to the Expansion Observatory Platform where you'll learn about the canal expansion that includes two lock complexes, one on the Pacific, one on the Atlantic; excavation of new channels; and the deepening and widening of existing channels.

Highlights

• Learn about the workings of one of the most incredible engineering marvels in the world: the Panama Canal.
  • Visit the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal, learn about the history behind it's construction.
  • Step onto the Expansion Observatory Platform to see the process that will allow larger ships to travel the canal.

56 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Is your cruise doing a partial transit, or is it just a port call in Colon?  If a partial transit, you will go thru the Agua Clara expansion locks and wouldn’t need that part of the excursion.  Look for something that takes you through some of the original locks.  EM

Yes it is a partial route.