Help with memories of a past cruise

clm101798

I has an odd request for help. Years ago (2005-9) I took a cruise from New York to Bahamas during February vacation.  We left in a terrible Nor’Easter.  60-70mph winds, 30-40 foot waves. Absolutely miserable start (rest of cruise was great).

Does anyone here remember being on a cruise like that that might have been the same one?  I would love to get pictures of that storm.

We were on Spirit back in late October/Early November 2006 from a Caribbean cruise.  I forget the name but we were 'chased' all the way back to NYC by a hurricane.  We, literally, got bounced out of our bed(s) (Inside cabin, too!) around 0200 & spent the rest of the night/morning up in the Spinnaker Lounge watching the storm through the windows along with 100-150 other 'new best friends' (aka fellow pax...lol).  Got into NYC safe & sound although quite tired...

Edited by tomk3212
Check dates of cruise
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dexddd said:

I'm sure MKing can give all details including hour by hour details.

Best I can do is Spirit and Dawn sailed around then, maybe others.

Hahaha, as best as I can recall, no details on my/our end.  We did 2 Fall cruises on the smaller & older Norwegian Crown and got tossed around good overnight leaving NY, 30+ waves & huge sea swell - Fall 2006 and Fall 2007 but was smooth sailing coming back.  

Timeline specifics that an AI buddy named Google came up with for the "Dawn" was for a little earlier - 

Norwegian Dawn - on April 16, 2005, while en-route from the Bahamas to NYC New York and sailing in rough weather, the vessel encountered off Georgia’s coast three consecutive 70 ft / 21 m rogue waves. The last wave caused the most serious damages, breaking windows on upper decks 9 and 10 (including at Navigation Bridge), also flooding several decks below. A total of 62 passenger staterooms were flooded. The hull was also damaged (bent) after the spare anchor hit the deck.  The ship’s infirmary reported 4 passengers with minor injuries during the incident. The ship diverted its course to Charleston SC for repairs, from where continued to New York. It arrived late in NYC (by 1 day). 

Norwegian Spirit - on January 19, 2006, while returning from a Southern Caribbean cruise back to homeport NYC New York, the ship encountered heavy seas with rogue waves (some over 50 ft / 15 high). The ship reported listing, broken windows and 11 flooded passenger cabins. Affected passengers were relocated and given a free NCL cruise.

(Mid) Feb. 2006 - NYC did get hit by a major winter storm/blizzard ... but I don't recall NCL ships being affected badly as a result, land side was another story.   DW got the day off but I had to report for duty at work, drove in - most drivers stayed off the road, thankfully - city was paralyzed for the next 2 to 3 days, that I remembered.