Regular Joe in The Haven

nitecapt

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

$800 for insurance on an $8000 trip isn't that unreasonable. Especially when the cruisers are older. A quick look on insure my trip for a 70+ year old couple ranges from $500-$1,000 in insurance cost. I would do what you do with the credit card before spending that much on one trip. But, that is probably what insurance for this trip will end up costing. 

$800 is part of the $8000, so $7200.I re-read the OP, his wife booked this trip as a surprise, the OP has never cruised so probably doesn’t know what he will enjoy.

13 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

. But, that is probably what insurance for this trip will end up costing. 

That is true, if and only if you choose to spend that on the insurance.

I am very well versed in the increased cost of insurance for seniors.  If you go to Insure My Trip and price this out for two people in their 70's with a trip cost of $0 (so medical and evacuation only), there are plenty of options for under $100 and many of them allow you to increase the limits.  

Trip costs covered via credit card ($95) + medical/evacuation ($100) = $195

In my opinion, it is absurd to pay $800 for something that you can get for $195 or less. 

There are absolutely trips that I would expect seniors to be paying $800 or even more for insurance but this a 5 night cruise to Bermuda. I stand by my comment that the price is insane.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

That is true, if and only if you choose to spend that on the insurance.

I am very well versed in the increased cost of insurance for seniors.  If you go to Insure My Trip and price this out for two people in their 70's with a trip cost of $0 (so medical and evacuation only), there are plenty of options for under $100 and many of them allow you to increase the limits.  

Trip costs covered via credit card ($95) + medical/evacuation ($100) = $195

In my opinion, it is absurd to pay $800 for something that you can get for $195 or less. 

There are absolutely trips that I would expect seniors to be paying $800 or even more for insurance but this a 5 night cruise to Bermuda. I stand by my comment that the price is insane.

I suspect that if this trip needs to be canceled, the OP is not going to be ok with $7200 in sunk costs.

• Like 1

I’m guessing you and your wife will enjoy these 5 days more if you skip the cruise. Another less expensive Haven option not yet mentioned could be for some family members to switch from a Haven room sleeping 2-4 to a 2 bedroom family suite and for your wife to pay the difference and take the small 2nd bedroom and attached bathroom. It would be tight for 2 adults, but is a great option for a semi-solo adult with family already in Haven. 

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I suspect that if this trip needs to be canceled, the OP is not going to be ok with $7200 in sunk costs.

You are missing the fact that if you book with certain travel credit cards that already include insurance then that entire $7200 is covered if you must cancel the trip (and as I already mentioned, I've had to make claims and they did indeed pay every last penny).  I didn't suggest that the OP not insure his trip, I simply suggested a more affordable way to do so. Travel insurance through a credit card does not, however, include cancel for any reason coverage which is typically extremely expensive.

20 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

You are missing the fact that if you book with certain travel credit cards that already include insurance then that entire $7200 is covered if you must cancel the trip (and as I already mentioned, I've had to make claims and they did indeed pay every last penny).  I didn't suggest that the OP not insure his trip, I simply suggested a more affordable way to do so. Travel insurance through a credit card does not, however, include cancel for any reason coverage which is typically extremely expensive.

But if the OP has a credit card with insurance wouldn’t he have used it to book the trip? Is travel insurance something that can be canceled after booking?

17 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But if the OP has a credit card with insurance wouldn’t he have used it to book the trip? Is travel insurance something that can be canceled after booking?

It depends, I don't know enough about the OP's situation to be able to answer these questions with certainty for him.

With my credit card I have to book at least part of the trip on the card for there to be coverage. If the OP had, for example, only paid the cruise deposit then they could still meet this requirement. If he doesn't have a credit card with this perk, it is quick and easy to apply for one. Different cards have different policies and it is very important to read the insurance documents carefully.  But my comments regarding the insurance cost were not solely for the OP.  When I share cost savings ideas, I do so hoping that they may help someone.  In this case, someone else may read my comments and be able to look into these other insurance options for their future trip.

Regarding canceling insurance, that depends on the insurance.  There are many travel insurance companies that give you a 10-15 day period to look over the policy and you can cancel the insurance for a refund within that time frame.  So it just depends whether or not they purchased a policy that has this perk.

Edited by minabruuke
  • Like 1

If affording the room type is the problem, then book a less expensive room, if cost is not the issue, then go and enjoy your time with your children and grandchildren.  Make memories and enjoy the time you have with them because you never know when you won't be able too. Life is too short, live each day like it's your last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

If the Haven Suite is a Gift:  Go, don't worry about it and consider the "Free at Sea PLUS" program if you like nice spirits and wine. 

If the Haven Suite was booked and you have to Pay It yourself: Based on all the other things you have going on in your life, the fact it is a 5 day cruise rather than a normal 7 day.  My advice is to tell your kids, "Thanks but no thanks."  If you wife insists on going, pass on the Haven completely and look at other options for her.  

If a Gift and You want to Lower the cost of the Haven Room: I would just accept the gift. 

I'm with @Sthrngary.  If a gift, graciously accept it.  If it's on your dime, then re-book it, as you can meet your family at so many other places on the ship.

Caveat no. 1: keep your wife happy.  Read the room: if she'll balk and forever feel miserable being apart from the family outside of the Haven, then that's not a happy 'vacation'.

Caveat no. 2: can you freely rebook?  Are you past your final payment date for the early 2023 5-day trips (if that's what sailing you have)?  Is this a moot point?

Finally, if you do go, and it's the September 20, 2023 sailing, then I'll see you on the ship, hopefully you'll be in a happy place!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, horseboarder said:

It was a gift and should be accepted graciously. A good butler should be totally invisible unless you ask for something. You will never know who in the Haven has real money and who does not unless you can tell by demeanor. Relax. Enjoy your vacation just being yourself and seeing your wife’s children doing something for their mother and the man she chooses to spend her life with. 

Trust me, this was NOT a gift. There are 6 people going and we are paying 7800. What does that tell you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

If affording the room type is the problem, then book a less expensive room, if cost is not the issue, then go and enjoy your time with your children and grandchildren. 

The point that many are trying to make is that these are not mutually exclusive.  The OP can book a less expensive room AND enjoy time with children and grandchildren.  If you have to be in the Haven to enjoy time with your family, then I just plain don't get it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The point that many are trying to make is that these are not mutually exclusive.  The OP can book a less expensive room AND enjoy time with children and grandchildren.  If you have to be in the Haven to enjoy time with your family, then I just plain don't get it.

Maybe because the others are dropping $ to spend their cruise in the haven? It appears his wife is okay with it. Sometimes you just go along. We rent a shore house for a week with my sister’s family every year (13 total), $1500 a night before vrbo fees. We see them once a year (they fly in), and the kids see their cousins. 

7 minutes ago, nitecapt said:

Trust me, this was NOT a gift. There are 6 people going and we are paying 7800. What does that tell you

We said yes to a shore house vacation (4 adults 2 children)and by the time it was over our share was $4500 for a three day weekend. We will never do that again.

• Like 1

@nitecapt, with absolute respect:

It seems from reading your posts, that you have a long and growing list of reasons not to go on the cruise. Dislike of hobnobbing, eating minimally, seeing a ship as transportation vs pleasure, a new and lucrative job, family illness, preferring not to socialize or partake in activities, and more. You sound very introverted, which is absolutely fine, but if that's correct, it's very understandable why the notion of a cruise isn't your ideal vacation. My daughter and one of my granddaughters are extreme introverts, so we gravitate to quieter and smaller gatherings for them. For example, for our Hawaii cruise next month, we'll skip the extravaganza luau in favor of a small, intimate one we found on Oahu. We won't go to shows on board the ship - never do - and will likely have at least one family dinner in our suite.

You do say that you'd enjoy time with the grandkids, yet believe that they will be so busy you won't see them. Again, please know I'm doing my best to be very respectful, but there seem to be many assumptions in your posts. Is this one? 

Even if your family is busy, there will be some times you'll be able to connect. Is there a grandchild who also loves solitude and quiet? Could you connect with him or her on your balcony and simply watch the sea in peace, or share simple, peaceful conversation?

Ultimately, it's entirely your choice of course. By all means bring your laptop and take advantage of the time to work if that will make you happy. Eat only what you want, as little as you wish. Sit quietly and watch the world go by.

A grandfather is a gift to his or her grandkids, a bridge to their past and a valuable guide for their future. You don't need to hobnob, overeat, dance with a lampshade on your head or swim with sharks... I'll bet your presence is the best present you could give them.

Wishing you the best, whatever you decide.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, nitecapt said:

@nitecapt You are new to CruiseCritic.com and I want to say welcome.  Your post struck a nerve with me.  I to was invited to go to a lake house only to find out I had to pay more then it would have cost me to book it myself.  It is the principle of the thing for me.  I found that to be both unacceptable and disrespectful.  It makes me blood boil just thinking about it so I feel your pain.

I rarely say things as strongly as I am going to say this to you.  Please forgive me for my bluntness.  You are paying WAY to much for a Haven Suite on a 5 day cruise.  Something is wrong with this picture.  My advice which I really should keep to myself but in this situation just can't is, cancel the cruise and don't go.  I don't know if you have paid already or it is still before the final payment.  This just does not make sense and the what you are outlining it happened, is infuriating to me because it happened to me, Just Once.  That is all it took.

I apologize but I had to say this.  Now do what is right for you.  

Cruise or don't Cruise.  If you do cruise, Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't agree.  They will not be able to go to the Haven pool or Haven restaurants if they are not in the Haven which is where his family will be because they paid dearly for it.   The experience will be very different.  

I wouldn’t want someone spending that much of our money without my permission. I would think your wife would have discussed it with you before committing to the trip if she knew the cost. 

My husband and I both spend what we want within reason but wouldn’t spend 1000’s of dollars without discussing it first.

Hopefully you are still outside of final payment and can cancel or rebook a more reasonable cabin if you really decide you want to go.

I am sailing for the first time in the Haven in September. This is a special cruise for our 40th anniversary and probably the last time I would pay that much for a cabin. The ship goes to the same places regardless if you are in an inside or Haven suite.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nitecapt said:

Hello! First time cruiser and first time poster. Please be kind to me! LOL

My wife surprised me with an upcoming cruise which she planned along with her daughter, SIL and two grandchildren. We are a retired couple and 'the kids' do quite well for themselves. Not being familiar with cruising, she left all the planning up to them. We are booked on The Joy 5-night Bermuda. We will occupy a Haven Courtyard Penthouse w/Large Balcony. After all was said and done, I realized that the kids spared no expense in selecting our cabin category. Our final total was just shy of $8000 - ($800 of that amount was insurance). I can only imagine what kind of cabin they selected for the four of them!

I'm a bit upset with the unexpected expense and see that this trip could've been around $3200 had we selected a basic balcony cabin. I'm a simple guy - give me a lounge chair in a quiet spot and I'm fine. The thought of butlers doting and exclusive areas, quite frankly, makes me uncomfortable. Wifey isn't too happy with me because she realizes that if we booked a cheaper room we couldn't fraternize with the rest of the family in The Haven. So it looks like I've lost this battle. Lesson learned: do your own homework and don't leave it up to others to help you spend your money. Also, the stingy amount of allowed internet - 75 minutes! - seems out of line with the price paid. Now, on top of everything else, I have to dip deeper for internet. And yes, for a variety of reasons, I need to touch base with the folks at home. 

I guess my question is..is The Haven a worthwhile expenditure? Will I be like a fish-out-of-water with the upper echelon? Will I cringe as my party is lead past the passengers in steerage who are patiently waiting in line? I realize the ‘worth’ of something is subjective, but I’m looking for some feedback. 

With six people you would have needed at least two regular cabins. possibly three.  So you would have to double or triple the non-haven cost to get a total cost comparison.  We haev stayed in teh haven and rarely used the butler.   They won't be hounding you or pestering you.  I think you will enjoy.

5 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

I wouldn’t want someone spending that much of our money without my permission. I would think your wife would have discussed it with you before committing to the trip if she knew the cost. 

My husband and I both spend what we want within reason but wouldn’t spend 1000’s of dollars without discussing it first.

Hopefully you are still outside of final payment and can cancel or rebook a more reasonable cabin if you really decide you want to go.

I am sailing for the first time in the Haven in September. This is a special cruise for our 40th anniversary and probably the last time I would pay that much for a cabin. The ship goes to the same places regardless if you are in an inside or Haven suite.

He said his wife surprised him with the trip, either because she thought it would make him happy or maybe because she thought he wouldn’t have agreed to it.

A simple problem statement by the OP, has become quiet convoluted by various interpretations of CC readers by the looks of it.

This reminds me of the famous question:

"daddy or chips?"

My guess is she knew he wouldn’t like the cost so it was a surprise in more ways than one.

I  know my husband would not be happy about this since he is pretty careful with money (cheap) regardless if we can afford things or not.

I tend to book way in advance so I can make payments monthly, this way it doesn’t annoy my husband as much paying all at once. I also watch prices and call for adjustments up to final payment.  My September cruise was booked in June 2020 and paid off way before 120 days. I ended up upgrading to Haven closer to 120 days but it still wasn’t a big sticker shock for him since it wasn’t that much to upgrade.

It was a surprise because she didn't think I would want to do it and it was going to please her to no end to be with her children and grandchildren. I was happy that we would spend a block of time conversing and watching the kids but it seemed to me to be a tremendous cost which could have been accomplished for far less. We have other expenditures that we can not fulfill at this time. We could have booked 2 or 3 cruises for that price and I find that so sad because now I can't do a fun excursion with her alone or more local excursion (cabin on a lake)?  with the whole family. When you are retired you just can't spend willy nilly on vacations. This gives us one good reason for me to return to work 6 years after retirement.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

I don't agree.  They will not be able to go to the Haven pool or Haven restaurants if they are not in the Haven which is where his family will be because they paid dearly for it.   The experience will be very different.  

Maybe.  Maybe not.  How many hours a day do people spend eating dinner or soaking in the pool?  Many families have a more enjoyable time if they're not together 24/7.  Don't families staying in the Haven come out to do other things?  I really don't know.

• Like 1