Please help me pack!! 16N cruise. Hawaii to Vancouver

Layers are your friend.  For example, I'd pack:  tank top, short-sleeve shirt, long-sleeved shirt, cardigan, windbreaker, raincoat.  I've become addicted to shirts with pockets, as well as colorful scarves.  I don't pack any prints, all solid colors.  A warm scarf and earmuffs, maybe gloves.  We cruised Alaska in June and it was HOT, so we didn't need any of that stuff, but you gotta be prepared.  I use two basic colors, beige and black plus one bright . I take only black pants and shoes.  You'll want shorts or capris,  I wear black walking shoes on the plane, pack a pair of trainers, sandals good enough for evenings, and footwear to slip on to wear on the ship, even tho I go barefoot most of the time.  For dinner, I pack black silk pants, black tunic top and several scarves with pretty earrings to match.  I have weightless black velvet slippers.  Everything has to go together, be hand-washable and need no ironing.  If you have room, you can add some pieces that you love to wear.  I would be comfortable with 5 'outfits' to build on.  And remember, as long as you look 'presentable', nobody really notices what you're wearing.  Sounds like a wonderful, relaxing itinerary with lots to look forward to.

• Like 3

Or you could save space and instead of a raincoat and a windbreaker you could get a lighjt option like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Raincoat-Lightweight-Waterproof-Packable-Windbreaker/dp/B09NCSZBZT/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Light%2BRain%2BJacket&qid=1685470580&sr=8-5&th=1

This is just an example; there are lots and lots of rain jackets like this.  They are usually sized to go over warm layers.

Thanks so much for all the help! Maybe I should give some more info and preferences. I much prefer dresses over pants , shorts or capris. But will bring a couple pairs of jeans and capris. Layers are a great idea and will just bring one combo rain proof windbreaker. Should I also bring a sweatshirt to wear alone or under jacket if colder? Any additional help and answers will be appreciated!

I don't bring big sweaters or sweatshirts ... I am far often too warm.  That's why I bring the the windbreaker, a cardigan and a raincoat ... it's easier to shed right down to a shirt on a bus or in a restaurant.   If it's COLD (like on the Great Wall of China in November) I wear them all.  When others are shivering, I've never been uncomfortable

• Like 1

For windy cool sea days (4 of our 5 sea days in April from Hawaii to Vancouver were too cool to be outside much) & then Alaska Id bring a hooded, windproof/waterproof jacket, stick a warm hat & gloves in the pocket, a fleece vest underneath for really chilly days & several pairs of Smartwool socks. Bring a pair of old sneakers [I waterproofed them with a spray) I left mine at end of trip  & had more room in suitcase. Pick a color palette that everything goes together. I use black, white & cobalt blue. Everything mix/matches, all washable & no iron. A pashmina is excellent to change the look of an outfit & keep you warm. Layers are your friend

My biggest question is are you sure you can go from Hawaii to Alaska?  We weren’t allowed to do it as one connection. We had to change cruise lines in Vancouver. This was before the Covid shutdown tho, check soonest with your travel professional. 

4 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

when will you be in Alaska and what is your home environment like?  what are you use to?

We live in NC, very hot and humid (90s)in the summer and not very cold in winter. Never usually reaches below 30's. I generally run hot.

For summer in Alaska I would take an outdoor, hiking type pant.  Nylon blend.  This is my go to pant in Spring here in Seattle where temps range  45 to 65.  Good in wind.  If you feel too chilled with that alone a pair of cableknit tights might do or a pair of wind pants over.  Windproof may also be handy for walking on deck in north pacific.  I find a light weight sweatshirt , alone adequate.  A waterproof windbreaker will be key.

Not sure you need gloves or ear covers, at minimum a beanie style cap.

In summer it can get quite hot inland, but near the coast it is mild and temperate.

And not humid, so think towards your late fall to early spring without the humid fun 

On 5/31/2023 at 12:42 PM, bluecruisin said:

We live in NC, very hot and humid (90s)in the summer and not very cold in winter. Never usually reaches below 30's. I generally run hot.

I think you'll find that Alaska can be warm and humid. It's more like a rain forest than the arctic 🙂 

I try to travel with just a carry-on and pack for 7 days no matter how long the trip. Take advantage of the ship's laundry. Since you prefer dresses, take dresses and skirts. There's no rule that you have to wear jeans in Alaska. If you're planning to hike, cotton/jeans aren't ideal anyways (technical fabric is better).

I wear the same things over and over and if something notices, I don't care. If you're concerned about cooler temps in the evening (we tend to walk on the deck at night because I also run hot 😉), bring hose or opaque tights. 

My plan for your trip would be to pack maybe 4 dresses (at least one a plain colour and not all sundresses), a skirt that could be worn day or evening, pair of jeans, pair of capris, about 4 tops for day and a couple of evening. One layering piece like a sweatshirt or sweater (or hoodie), a rain jacket of some sort (with a hood), shoes for dress, shoes for rain, sandals. Maybe throw in a pashmina or scarf to change up your tops or dresses. You'll wind up wearing everything 2 or 3 times so take things you love! 

• Like 1

I think 4 or 5 days before you depart, you should carefully check the weather for every port you'll visit.  That should give you good guidelines on how many layers you need to bring.

• Like 2

I will try to be succinct this time.

Everyone has given such good advice layers, layers, layers.

Your activities may determine your wardrobe as well. (Although I have hiked Delphi in a skirt and silk blouse and was comfortable :D.)

I didn't see your cruise line mentioned or how casual or not you prefer to dress in the evenings.

I prefer dress and skirts too and these are my suggestions:

One thing I do frequently when cruising in contrasting or variable clients is travel with sleeveless dresses I can layer over tights (thermal) and a merino turtleneck.   So, I have the sleeveless dress when it is warm and when the weather is cooler the dress works like a jumper. This can also be used to change the look of outfits dramatically.

The material that your clothing is made from makes a big difference, in my opinion, for comfort, weight, space.  Fortunately, some of the best things work well on all accounts.   Light weight merino wool makes for good layering. If I am trying to save weight and space I pack several light weight silk crepe dresses and blouses to wear in the evenings (I can wear the blouses in the day if the weather is warm or as a base layer if cold)  as they take up very little space and can offer a lot of variety and tend not to be hot to me.

I almost never carry capris or shorts unless I have a specific activity that requires it. But as someone mentioned earlier, I would carry some water-resistant tech pants not only could be layered for warmth but also help your legs from getting eaten by little (or rather large 🙂 ) insects whether in Hawaii or Alaska, when walking in a forest.

In cold environments I always pack a pair of silk long underwear/ thermals. Again, super lightweight and it doesn't make me overheat and can be used as pajamas if necessary:)

waterproof bag works well for beach and rain.
A breathable hat to keep your head warm and your hair from blowing in your face while watching the sea.
Gloves because my hands tend to get cold in the wind.

My 2 cents...or nickel if in Canada 🙂

tmee

Edited by tmee
Spelling spelling spelling
  • Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 3:37 PM, bluecruisin said:

Thanks so much for all the help! Maybe I should give some more info and preferences. I much prefer dresses over pants , shorts or capris. But will bring a couple pairs of jeans and capris. Layers are a great idea and will just bring one combo rain proof windbreaker. Should I also bring a sweatshirt to wear alone or under jacket if colder? Any additional help and answers will be appreciated!

My little sister (later 30's at the time) was also a dress-wearer when we took her along on 14-day Alaska trip. She did indeed wear dresses nearly all the time! I think she made use of tights... looking at some handy photos, I see she had some knit dresses and wore cardigans, and had a pair of thin but tall boots. This may not be too much help because she really is small and "could pack a dress for each day in a bandaid box"! As my other lifesize sister remarked.