Drift snorkeling Tahaa, should I do it?

Hello!

Hope everyone is doing well. I need advice regarding Drift Snorkeling. On the description it states for the experienced snorkeler....... my snorkeling experience is pretty limited to when I vacation and take excursions, so maybe 1-2x/year.  I can swim,  although again I do not swim frequently.   Based on the PG description, I am kind of worried if I can do this excursion or not, not sure if I have enough experience. I did read trip advisor reviews and everyone mentions the current is strong and you have to quickly navigate....I've never had to do that but I would think it would be possible, I may be wrong!

For those that have tried it, do you think only really experienced snorkelers should try it? 

Thank you!

22 minutes ago, jatinandayesha said:

Hello!

Hope everyone is doing well. I need advice regarding Drift Snorkeling. On the description it states for the experienced snorkeler....... my snorkeling experience is pretty limited to when I vacation and take excursions, so maybe 1-2x/year.  I can swim,  although again I do not swim frequently.   Based on the PG description, I am kind of worried if I can do this excursion or not, not sure if I have enough experience. I did read trip advisor reviews and everyone mentions the current is strong and you have to quickly navigate....I've never had to do that but I would think it would be possible, I may be wrong!

For those that have tried it, do you think only really experienced snorkelers should try it? 

Thank you!

If you can navigate you will be OK. Usually there are 3 passes ... the first pass is the easiest ... the next a bit tougher and the 3rd is even tougher .... I'm talking about the ability to navigate your direction. 

Several including my better half don't take the 2nd or 3rd pass ... after the first pass they enjoy wadding around towards the end and just feed the fish and enjoy the experience. 

The setting for the drift is stunning ... one of our favorite locations. 

IMG_0382.jpg

Thanks so much for all that info, I can try the first pass and see how comfortable I feel regarding if I want to do the 2nd or 3rd. I appreciate your help!

Also- I read somewhere that neoprene pants and rash guard is great. They also mentioned gloves....do you recommend gloves?

Thanks!

I did this on my last PG cruise several years ago, and there are pros and cons.

The snorkeling is definitely great in terms of what you will see, and it's a gorgeous location! And it's fun to let the current pull you along.

However, I'm a strong swimmer, and I do feel you need to be a decent swimmer to do this excursion. You don't want to find yourself scratched up on the coral, or feeling panicked when the current feels too strong for you. 

The biggest "con" as far as I'm concerned is that you will miss some of Motu Mahana! That's my favorite day of the cruise, and I don't want to miss a minute of it. So I'm not doing this snorkel tour on my upcoming PG cruise. There are plenty of other opportunities to get in some excellent snorkeling while on this cruise. Quite honestly, the snorkeling is better in Bora Bora, not to mention easier. 

As for gloves, they are allowed when diving or snorkeling in French Polynesia, but not necessary. You shouldn't allow yourself to touch the coral, as it is very fragile...and wearing gloves can actually lead to more touching than you would do otherwise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jatinandayesha said:

Thanks so much for all that info, I can try the first pass and see how comfortable I feel regarding if I want to do the 2nd or 3rd. I appreciate your help!

Also- I read somewhere that neoprene pants and rash guard is great. They also mentioned gloves....do you recommend gloves?

Thanks!

Hi! We 3 are signed up for this on your trip, so if you do it, we'll see you there. I may not make the second and third pass, but I think it'll be fine for us, I've read a lot about it. My understanding is they don't go to the same place they used to.

A rash guard is going to be an important thing to bring along - I bought a long sleeve one piece bathing suit that I'm going to use for this. Your going to need some kind of swim shoes or booties, to protect your feet that you will swap out for swim fins at the beginning. I've also heard it's a good idea to wear shorts. I bring a lot of sunscreen, and use it pretty religiously, so I'm not too worried. Famous last words, LOL!

42 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

The biggest "con" as far as I'm concerned is that you will miss some of Motu Mahana! That's my favorite day of the cruise, and I don't want to miss a minute of it. So I'm not doing this snorkel tour on my upcoming PG cruise. There are plenty of other opportunities to get in some excellent snorkeling while on this cruise. Quite honestly, the snorkeling is better in Bora Bora, not to mention easier. 

The drift snorkel happens on a day when we're in Tahaa and doesn't infringe on the two days in Bora Bora 🙂

1 hour ago, Leejnd4 said:

Thanks for the reply!   Can you tell me more about Motu Mahana, what makes it so special and so fun? I've read on trip advisor by multiple people this is the favorite part of the cruise, so I can understand not wanting to miss a minute!

1 hour ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

The drift snorkel happens on a day when we're in Tahaa and doesn't infringe on the two days in Bora Bora 🙂

Yes, that's my point. Motu Mahana only happens on the day we're in Taha'a. Which is why I suggest skipping the drift snorkel in Taha'a and instead, snorkeling on one of the days in Bora Bora, so you won't miss any of Motu Mahana.

Perhaps you thought I mean the PG's private motu on Bora Bora? Just to be clear, there are no real services on the Bora Bora private motu. It's just a beautiful beach. No bbq, no water sports, no boozy coconut drinks served to you in the water from the floating bar. 🙂 

1 hour ago, jatinandayesha said:

Thanks for the reply!   Can you tell me more about Motu Mahana, what makes it so special and so fun? I've read on trip advisor by multiple people this is the favorite part of the cruise, so I can understand not wanting to miss a minute!

Oh it's WONDERFUL! It's a gorgeous little island, and this is the PG's private beach on it. They set up an enormous BBQ chock full of a wide variety of delicious local delicacies, and serve drinks all day long, including from a floating bar. There are plenty of beach loungers, and they bring a bunch of water sports equipment that you can use all day (kayaks, paddle boards). There's live Polynesian music, volleyball games, and Gauguins are always there showing you how to tie a pareo or string flowers for a lei. The water is clear, you can snorkel right from the beach (although admittedly the snorkeling is not nearly as lush as the drift snorkel) or swim out to the reef encircling the little lagoon. It's just a super fun, relaxing day, on the beach, in paradise, with your every need being catered to. 😁

I've got snorkel trips scheduled for other days, because I would rather spend every moment of our day in Taha'a enjoying Motu Mahana.

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 1

Facts ... the drift snorkel vendor picks you up from the ship (Marina). 

First tender to the Motu doesn't arrive until 10:30

The drift snorkel vendor will drop you off at the moto typically by 12 noon, just as the BBQ is being served. 

My point is you will miss very little of Motu Mahan if you do the drift. 

IMO  ... the drift snorkel is some of the very best in the Society islands. 

I love Bora bora for snorkeling as well but my favorite snorkeling location in the Society islands is the drift snorkel on Tahaa.

Took the drift snorkel last month ... I done it at least a dozen times in my 30 trips to FP. The location was the same place it usually is. Occasionally they switch to another location if the tide is high and/or the water is fast coming is.

Personally I wear a old T shirt, shorts and water shoes. Only once did I get cut and it wasn't my fault. People will try and stop to take a picture/video and this plugs up the whole line behind them ... my advice is to make sure your in the front of the line so you don't get bottled up toward the rear.

Enjoy this little video my Better Half and I put together of the drift snorkels 1st pass 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Facts ... the drift snorkel vendor picks you up from the ship (Marina). 

First tender to the Motu doesn't arrive until 10:30

The drift snorkel vendor will drop you off at the moto typically by 12 noon, just as the BBQ is being served. 

My point is you will miss very little of Motu Mahan if you do the drift. 

IMO  ... the drift snorkel is some of the very best in the Society islands. 

I love Bora bora for snorkeling as well but my favorite snorkeling location in the Society islands is the drift snorkel on Tahaa.

Thanks for clarifying the timing. I didn't recall it that way, but then I've only done the PG twice, so clearly I'm not even remotely as knowledgeable as you are about all things PG. Plus my memory could very well be faulty since it was a while ago. I just remember wishing that I hadn't bothered with the Taha'a snorkel, and would have preferred to just get to Motu Mahana as early as possible. But I'm also a diver, so I'd already see a ton of underwater life on our many dives at that point. 🙂 

On my upcoming cruise I'm traveling with a friend who is not a strong swimmer, so that's another reason why we won't be doing the Taha'a snorkel. We will snorkel together on Bora Bora (with BoraboraH2O) which she can manage, and I'll satisfy my craving for seeing amazing fish life with the dives I will be doing without her.

For the record, I answered the way I did because the original poster mentioned that they are not a strong swimmer, so I factored that into my response. I do believe that if you are not a decent swimmer, this excursion may not be a good fit. And I wanted them to know that if they do skip this one, they probably won't regret it because of how wonderful Motu Mahana is, and also how fabulous the snorkeling is in Bora Bora.

I didn't mean to provide a "non-factual" answer. I realize, however, I should probably stop answering questions in this forum, since you have a great handle on taking care of any and all questions that come in. I'll leave it to you going forward. Sorry for making you correct my incorrect facts.

7 hours ago, jatinandayesha said:

Thanks!

Gloves are only needed to push yourself away from the coral but your not suppose to touch 😉

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Gloves are only needed to push yourself away from the coral but your not suppose to touch 😉

Kinda hard to push yourself away from coral without touching it. 😉

I say this as a diver with 800+ dives. Many tropical dive destinations don't even allow wearing gloves, for this very reason. You are way more likely to touch coral, even if you don't mean to, if you are wearing gloves. I never wear gloves when I'm diving around coral.

I totally agree with you that the Taha'a drift snorkel is best if you are a strong enough swimmer to navigate your direction. Better to avoid the coral that way, than by pushing yourself away from it. 

14 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

Kinda hard to push yourself away from coral without touching it. 😉

I say this as a diver with 800+ dives. Many tropical dive destinations don't even allow wearing gloves, for this very reason. You are way more likely to touch coral, even if you don't mean to, if you are wearing gloves. I never wear gloves when I'm diving around coral.

I totally agree with you that the Taha'a drift snorkel is best if you are a strong enough swimmer to navigate your direction. Better to avoid the coral that way, than by pushing yourself away from it. 

The snorkeling on Bora Bora is good as well  ...

GOPR0093-Edit.jpg

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Another of a eel on Bora Bora  ... snorkeling

3CD742BF-DDF6-4DF9-8CD0-73CB46FAF460-Edit.jpg

Why do eels always look like they just told a joke, and are waiting for a reaction?

This guy was also in Bora Bora. Maybe they're friends!

image.jpeg.abed34927067f2b7469e17498b928723.jpeg

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Why do eels always look like they just told a joke, and are waiting for a reaction?

This guy was also in Bora Bora. Maybe they're friends!

image.jpeg.abed34927067f2b7469e17498b928723.jpeg

LeeAnne! He looks like he's trying to make friends with you! 😍 Great pic! Thx!

• Haha 1

Thanks so much for sharing that video, this looks like such an amazing experience.   You convinced me - I have to do this, I know I will regret it if I don't try.    I'll prob do what your other half does and do the first pass and play in the water after.      THANKS a ton for all the helpful info, this forum is amazing 🙂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jatinandayesha said:

omg, I don't know what I would do if I saw this...this is what nightmares are made of! thanks for sharing the pic....amazing camera quality

They won't bother you if you don't bother them ... the excursion vendors feed them and they know the deal  ... come out and smile ... you then get a goodie

2 hours ago, jatinandayesha said:

omg, I don't know what I would do if I saw this...this is what nightmares are made of! thanks for sharing the pic....amazing camera quality

Oh I think he's kinda cute! Now if you wanna see an eel that looks like you probably shouldn't tangle with him, there's this little fella right here...image.jpeg.76e9f51e0c7581f1719b90b8811fb0a1.jpeg

Or this one...

image.thumb.jpeg.a1f1f31ecb732953250d78d45b1400d4.jpeg

As you can see, I adore eels. LOL! And there are so many in French Polynesia. Big Kahuna is right tho...don't go sticking your finger near those teeth, and they won't bother you. 

• Like 1

There are deadly venomous fish in FP who are disguised to look like coral. Gloves will not protect you from their stingers should you make the mistake of touching them. On feet wear water shoes with hard soles in the water…. Not teva water sandals. Sharks are not a danger but these little creatures can be.

Re drift snorkel, when you check out equipment at ships marina ask for a snorkel vest…. Helps to keep you above the coral heads. We always get on to use as a pillow at the motus. 

the two motus are very different. One reminds me of Gillian’s island and the other more like Blue Lagoon. We never miss either. At Borabora one they do offer kayaks and SU paddle board, pretty decent snorkeling and soda, beer and chips…etc. 

• Like 2