Drift snorkeling Tahaa, should I do it?

40 minutes ago, sita said:

There are deadly venomous fish in FP who are disguised to look like coral. Gloves will not protect you from their stingers should you make the mistake of touching them. On feet wear water shoes with hard soles in the water…. Not teva water sandals. Sharks are not a danger but these little creatures can be.

That is an excellent point! Stonefish in particular are deadly and can be almost impossible to spot, and look very much like a rock. And you do NOT want to inadvertently touch or step on one. I almost didn't see this one - look how well he's disguised!image.jpeg.6cf46e3eea509865de9eb4923f1c6926.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Oh I think he's kinda cute! Now if you wanna see an eel that looks like you probably shouldn't tangle with him, there's this little fella right here...

great pics! you are right, the first one now looks very cute lol! 

In all fairness in my 30 trips to French Polynesia only twice did we spot a stonefish though there were likely many we did not notice. The point is  ... if you wear good hard sole water shoes and don't touch anything it is highly unlikely that you would have any problems with stonefish encounters. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

In all fairness in my 30 trips to French Polynesia only twice did we spot a stonefish though there were likely many we did not notice. The point is  ... if you wear good hard sole water shoes and don't touch anything it is highly unlikely that you would have any problems with stonefish encounters. 

Yes, you are right - good water shoes are a must.

I've only seen one stonefish while snorkeling in FP. (I've been there several times on sailing trips in addition to my two PG cruises.) But I've seen a bunch while diving! Fortunately they were all deeper than you would go as a snorkeler.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 11:21 AM, Leejnd4 said:

Yes, you are right - good water shoes are a must.

I've only seen one stonefish while snorkeling in FP. (I've been there several times on sailing trips in addition to my two PG cruises.) But I've seen a bunch while diving! Fortunately they were all deeper than you would go as a snorkeler.

@Leejnd4 and @Tahitianbigkahuna do you have a link to a good water shoe please (I prefer not to spend $$$$ as this will be the only time we wear them but there are so many out there that it's hard to see which ones are good online)

Thank you for any recommendations 

2 hours ago, Piaa said:

@Leejnd4 and @Tahitianbigkahuna do you have a link to a good water shoe please (I prefer not to spend $$$$ as this will be the only time we wear them but there are so many out there that it's hard to see which ones are good online)

Sorry, I haven't bought any online. I am mostly unable to shop online because I live on a sailboat in Mexico, constantly sailing up and down the coast to different anchorages, and therefore I have no permanent address for things to be shipped.

You don't need anything expensive if you are only using them this one time. A trip to Target will probably get you what you need. Something that is easy to slip on, with a firm sole.

• Like 1

Just now, Piaa said:

These are what I bought, they carry them for men as well, very comfy and inexpensive - the coral fragments you walk through are really rough. You hand your water shoes to the guide who takes them in a bag and you put on your fins. Great fun 😎

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/crown-vintage-korinne-water-shoe/546643?activeColor=001

We are here now, drift snorkel before motu is a no brainer - if you are an experienced swimmer and have gone snorkeling before, you will be fine. People of all shapes and sizes. They take you from the marina on the back of the ship at 8:15 and drop you directly at the motu around 11. Didn't feel like we missed a thing on the private island. 🤙🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

These are what I bought, they carry them for men as well, very comfy and inexpensive - the coral fragments you walk through are really rough. You hand your water shoes to the guide who takes them in a bag and you put on your fins. Great fun 😎

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/crown-vintage-korinne-water-shoe/546643?activeColor=001

We are here now, drift snorkel before motu is a no brainer - if you are an experienced swimmer and have gone snorkeling before, you will be fine. People of all shapes and sizes. They take you from the marina on the back of the ship at 8:15 and drop you directly at the motu around 11. Didn't feel like we missed a thing on the private island. 🤙🏻

Those are very much like the ones we have. The sole is exactly what I meant - a firm sole so that you don't feel that sharp coral.

Y'all almost have me convinced now that I should do the Taha'a snorkel! Although I'll be doing 8 total scuba dives during the cruise so I probably wouldn't see anything I won't already see...plus, having a morning to sleep in a bit sounds kinda nice too...gaaah, sleep or snorkel??? Decisions decisions! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 10:11 AM, jatinandayesha said:

Hello!

Hope everyone is doing well. I need advice regarding Drift Snorkeling. On the description it states for the experienced snorkeler....... my snorkeling experience is pretty limited to when I vacation and take excursions, so maybe 1-2x/year.  I can swim,  although again I do not swim frequently.   Based on the PG description, I am kind of worried if I can do this excursion or not, not sure if I have enough experience. I did read trip advisor reviews and everyone mentions the current is strong and you have to quickly navigate....I've never had to do that but I would think it would be possible, I may be wrong!

For those that have tried it, do you think only really experienced snorkelers should try it? 

Thank you!

My opinions…and they may not be shared by others.

I think the “warnings” provided by cruise lines, tour providers etc. for excursions are often, like those provided for the Drift Snorkel, exaggerated.  It is definitely not like being in a wide, open body of water with an infinite amount of space and no current where you can snorkel absentmindedly without regard for your surroundings.  But if you are a reasonable swimmer who has snorkeled before and pay attention to your surroundings while you are snorkeling, the Drift Snorkel is only a mild challenge. And it is a lot of fun.

Also, I think you can have plenty of time at the Motu if you do the Drift Snorkel in the AM.  The combination of these two activities made for a great day.

• Thanks 1

I've done the drift at least 12 times ... but I'm a good snorkeler. The only time I got scraped was when others in front of me tried to stop for pictures while we are in the current and I tried to stop as well ... scraped. 

Remember each pass gets a bit more tricky with less from between you and the coral. Pass #1 is pretty tame ... #2 a bit more tricky and #3 if you a bit heavy can be a bit more tricky. 

I understand the "warnings"  ... less liability and rightfully so. Coral isn't something you want to tangle with.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I will update here just in case someone else has the same question.  I did all 3 passes without an issue, the current was not strong you just have to be able to turn and navigate.  It was enjoyable.   Maybe the current is different depending on the month you go. It is easy to follow the person in front of you. I don’t think anyone in our group got a nasty cut.  Like mentioned before, ideally try to be behind the guide but it’s not always possible. People stop to take pics but then loose sight of the person in front of them and they veer off into a different pathway or they start following someone in a different group.  

I was sad to see a lot of dead coral , I can only imagine what this place looked like decades ago …. Don’t know who needs to here this but spreading awareness doesn’t hurt -  the only sunscreen that is reef safe is Mineral sunscreen ( it leaves a white cast) … if it’s clear it’s chemical and damages the coral.  I think a lot of sunscreens label themselves “reef friendly “ but it’s not actually reef safe.   I learned about this just before my trip so I want to spread the message! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jatinandayesha said:

I will update here just in case someone else has the same question.  I did all 3 passes without an issue, the current was not strong you just have to be able to turn and navigate.  It was enjoyable.   Maybe the current is different depending on the month you go. It is easy to follow the person in front of you. I don’t think anyone in our group got a nasty cut.  Like mentioned before, ideally try to be behind the guide but it’s not always possible. People stop to take pics but then loose sight of the person in front of them and they veer off into a different pathway or they start following someone in a different group.  

I was sad to see a lot of dead coral , I can only imagine what this place looked like decades ago …. Don’t know who needs to here this but spreading awareness doesn’t hurt -  the only sunscreen that is reef safe is Mineral sunscreen ( it leaves a white cast) … if it’s clear it’s chemical and damages the coral.  I think a lot of sunscreens label themselves “reef friendly “ but it’s not actually reef safe.   I learned about this just before my trip so I want to spread the message! 

One of the nice things that can happen is you meet a fellow Cruise Critic poster, get to snorkel with them and see the big grin on their face 😊 

10 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

One of the nice things that can happen is you meet a fellow Cruise Critic poster, get to snorkel with them and see the big grin on their face 😊 

It was so great to meet you and your lovely family! Thanks for keeping me company on the drift snorkel ! It was such a fun and memorable trip. I hope your trip home went smooth 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 8:28 AM, jatinandayesha said:

It was so great to meet you and your lovely family! Thanks for keeping me company on the drift snorkel ! It was such a fun and memorable trip. I hope your trip home went smooth 🙂

It was a pleasure to meet you, we had a wonderful time! I felt like I had to pinch myself on several occasions, lol, trying to take in what I was actually doing 🤗 You and JT make a beautiful couple, and I wish you many more excellent trips on your journey together ❤️ 

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Facts ... the drift snorkel vendor picks you up from the ship (Marina). 

First tender to the Motu doesn't arrive until 10:30

The drift snorkel vendor will drop you off at the moto typically by 12 noon, just as the BBQ is being served. 

My point is you will miss very little of Motu Mahan if you do the drift. 

IMO  ... the drift snorkel is some of the very best in the Society islands. 

I love Bora bora for snorkeling as well but my favorite snorkeling location in the Society islands is the drift snorkel on Tahaa.

Took the drift snorkel last month ... I done it at least a dozen times in my 30 trips to FP. The location was the same place it usually is. Occasionally they switch to another location if the tide is high and/or the water is fast coming is.

Personally I wear a old T shirt, shorts and water shoes. Only once did I get cut and it wasn't my fault. People will try and stop to take a picture/video and this plugs up the whole line behind them ... my advice is to make sure your in the front of the line so you don't get bottled up toward the rear.

Enjoy this little video my Better Half and I put together of the drift snorkels 1st pass 

That’s really great video! I don’t usually take pictures while snorkeling but I do like to stop to look at things more closely. My concern about the drift snorkel is that the current keeps moving you along too quickly to enjoy any one section in detail, but your wife seems to have been able to stay in one place for a while to get nice video at least on the 1st pass. Would you say it’s reasonably easy to stop and take in the scenery, or is It all go all the time? Also, is the group kept in a single line or is there room to spread out a bit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom_Celery said:

That’s really great video! I don’t usually take pictures while snorkeling but I do like to stop to look at things more closely. My concern about the drift snorkel is that the current keeps moving you along too quickly to enjoy any one section in detail, but your wife seems to have been able to stay in one place for a while to get nice video at least on the 1st pass. Would you say it’s reasonably easy to stop and take in the scenery, or is It all go all the time? Also, is the group kept in a single line or is there room to spread out a bit?

You can't stop easily and by trying to effect everyone behind you ... they start running into each other and that is how people get cut ... so please don't try and stop. It is a single line ...

BTW  ... my Better Half never does the actual drift, I do ... she sits at the end of the drift area and takes video  ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Supertuscan99 said:

Maybe put the camera away and enjoy the moment..just a thought …..

…. My question was not about taking pictures.

That said, people should enjoy the experience however they choose, as long as it’s not overly disruptive to others.

Edited by Phantom_Celery
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Phantom_Celery said:

That said, people should enjoy the experience however they choose, as long as it’s not overly disruptive to others.

If one does want to take pictures, the best strategy would be to wait for everybody else to go, and be last on the line. On my first run through, I'm behind a lady who was trying to videotape with her insta360 stick camera, kept getting sidetracked, and I would have to try to avoid bumping by swimming alongside of her. I made sure the next time to be the person right behind the guide, and that worked out great. Insta360 lady cued up behind me, and told me afterwards it was very helpful that I was in front so she could catch up by follow my bright red bathing suit easily, lol 🧜‍♀️ I would love to see that video. Make sure you have adequate sun protection, I wore a long sleeve, one piece bathing suit. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/30/2023 at 1:50 PM, Leejnd4 said:

Yes, that's my point. Motu Mahana only happens on the day we're in Taha'a. Which is why I suggest skipping the drift snorkel in Taha'a and instead, snorkeling on one of the days in Bora Bora, so you won't miss any of Motu Mahana.

Perhaps you thought I mean the PG's private motu on Bora Bora? Just to be clear, there are no real services on the Bora Bora private motu. It's just a beautiful beach. No bbq, no water sports, no boozy coconut drinks served to you in the water from the floating bar. 🙂 

Oh it's WONDERFUL! It's a gorgeous little island, and this is the PG's private beach on it. They set up an enormous BBQ chock full of a wide variety of delicious local delicacies, and serve drinks all day long, including from a floating bar. There are plenty of beach loungers, and they bring a bunch of water sports equipment that you can use all day (kayaks, paddle boards). There's live Polynesian music, volleyball games, and Gauguins are always there showing you how to tie a pareo or string flowers for a lei. The water is clear, you can snorkel right from the beach (although admittedly the snorkeling is not nearly as lush as the drift snorkel) or swim out to the reef encircling the little lagoon. It's just a super fun, relaxing day, on the beach, in paradise, with your every need being catered to. 😁

I've got snorkel trips scheduled for other days, because I would rather spend every moment of our day in Taha'a enjoying Motu Mahana.

Is there a charge to go to the Motu Mahana?