Any reports from those on the Sunshine?

birdie16

We have some friends that boarded Saturday night. It is their first cruise. Prior to sail away, they said they didn't see any signs of any damage, wetness, or anything that seemed out of place to them. We are waiting to see how their trip went when they get back to Charleston tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, birdie16 said:

Have there been any reports from people on the Sunshine this week? I’m curious to hear if last weekends damage has been cleaned up. 

What leads you to think there was damage to the ship?  Carnival acknowledges some crew areas experienced flooding, but said none of the state rooms or public areas were damaged or taken out of service.  Almost unquestionably the "damage": that occurred was cleaned up while in port.  It's not the first time the crew or ship experienced this, it's just that a few passengers blew the situation out of proportion on social media.

• Like 7

On 5/31/2023 at 1:20 PM, Itried4498 said:

What leads you to think there was damage to the ship?  Carnival acknowledges some crew areas experienced flooding, but said none of the state rooms or public areas were damaged or taken out of service.  Almost unquestionably the "damage": that occurred was cleaned up while in port.  It's not the first time the crew or ship experienced this, it's just that a few passengers blew the situation out of proportion on social media.

The news reports, and the Facebook videos from people on the ship when it happened. I’m aware things can get blown out of proportion, that’s why I would like to hear from people on the next sailing.

• Like 1

Well the cruise was sold out and I didn’t see anybody complaining about getting cancelled so I’m assuming there was no staterooms taken out of service. The reports of so many passengers forced out of their rooms and sleeping in the elevator banks during that storm sound grossly exaggerated. I doubt they could fix that many staterooms during an 11 hour turnaround. 

• Like 4

On 5/31/2023 at 1:17 PM, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

We have some friends that boarded Saturday night. It is their first cruise. Prior to sail away, they said they didn't see any signs of any damage, wetness, or anything that seemed out of place to them. We are waiting to see how their trip went when they get back to Charleston tomorrow.

Any news from your friends? If they didn’t notice anything, either the reports were blown way out of proportion, or Carnival employees are amazing in how quickly they worked to clean up the mess.

54 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Any news from your friends? If they didn’t notice anything, either the reports were blown way out of proportion, or Carnival employees are amazing in how quickly they worked to clean up the mess.

My guess is that both of these are true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hard_eight said:

My guess is that both of these are true.

Turning a ship around is always a tight process, and they did it in three less hours.  Carnival employees may be amazing, but they had no time to clean up a mess.  Thankfully, there was no mess to clean up.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, birdie16 said:

They said it was great once they finally got on board. She said it was a little chaos at first with hungry sleepy kids. But they kept the dining rooms and lido opened late and everything was great by their first morning. And they didn't have their luggage to sometime in the wee hours of the morning, but they made due. They said they will certainly be cruising again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

They said it was great once they finally got on board. She said it was a little chaos at first with hungry sleepy kids. But they kept the dining rooms and lido opened late and everything was great by their first morning. And they didn't have their luggage to sometime in the wee hours of the morning, but they made due. They said they will certainly be cruising again.

Thank you! It appears the reports have been over blown…surprise. That’s why I wanted to hear from someone on the next cruise.

• Like 1

I was on the May 27 sailing on Sunshine. Embarkation was chaotic as you can imagine. I did feel bad as they did the required muster drill at 1:00 a.m. that went into the rooms. We got our luggage after 2:00 a.m. as I woke up when it hit our door. 

The staff was fantastic about everything and we didn’t see anything out of place, our cabin was on deck 6. I heard rumors deck 2 smelled of mold but we did not have any issues on deck 6. We received $100 OBC per stateroom and we did not miss a port. We were moving pretty fast on our first sea day to get to our first port. 

• Like 3