Istanbul Help Please

We are an elderly couple, overnight cruise stop in Istanbul, everything I’ve read about the cruise terminal seems very intimidating. It sounds like a really long walk to get from the ship through the terminal and outside. Hopefully someone can give insight about this , we have no serious mobility’s issues , just can’t handle long distances,hills and stairs. I’m afraid to book any costly excursions and then not be able go. Thanks in advance for any help 

If you go to YouTube and search for Istanbul Galataport, you'll be able to watch some videos of what the facility looks like. It is a combination port facility and public space with stores, restaurants, museums and even green spaces. The port portion appears to largely be underground, and to me looks a bit like a large airport rather than a normal cruise port. There are places inside where tour buses and taxis can park and drop off/pick up passengers, and there are also escalators and certainly there must be elevators as well for people using wheelchairs.

• Like 2

Good morning, I agree with the previous poster (Hi Cynthia🙂). Actually, I was in Istanbul in April and yes, the port facility is underground. Not nearly as difficult one might think(well, for me anyway) You will walk down a walkway and then when you get to point A.(example)....there will be an escalator with signage for private tours, ship tours, etc.

5 minutes ago, worldlady said:

TThank you, how far is the walk from the ship please?

Hi, the ship is at the facility but the actual walk itself? I would guess for me it was 5-6 minutes. If you are going slower, it may take you 10 minutes (give or take 2 minutes)......personally, I didn't think it was very far, even though some folks might have thought differently than me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just yesterday I was looking at the ship's shore excursions for Istanbul and I noticed under their "What you should know...." section they had added a statement saying there would be up to a 10-minute walk to reach the location for boarding the motorbuses at Galataport.

• 1 month later...

1.  Can you walk all the way from Galata Bridge along the pedestrian pier to Galataport cruise terminal?  Looks like it's a mile plus? 

2.  I think you then turn behind the dockside buildings, just past the Museum of Painting and Sculpture, to the "D Block cruise Terminal Lobby"?  Once you enter the Terminal Lobby, the path looks well signed?  (I've looked at Galataport.com and YouTube videos but hoping to confirm with any cruisers who have walked back to their ship, thanks!)