Driving Alesund to Geiranger

After much deliberation the cruise that worked best for our schedule and for the best price includes a stop at Alesund and not Geiranger. However, the port times in Alesund are quite generous (8am-7pm). I have done some research and am wondering if it would be feasible to rent a car and drive round trip from Alesund to Geiranger? It looks like there are car rentals near the cruise ship terminal, and from what I can see the drive is about 2 hours each way. So, I assume even with adding extra time for stops (we would want to do the Geirangerfjord boat tour which looks like it takes 60-90min) we should easily be able to make this drive, but would be interested in hearing from other who may have done it or are more familiar with the area if there is something we are not thinking of. 

We recently did an Alaskan cruise and rented a car in Skagway and drove the Klondike Highway, it was one of the highlights of our trip so this option is very appealing to us if feasible. Thanks in advance for any tips! 

• Like 1

Absolutely possible - just note that the route include the ferry from Eidsdal to Linge. Might take a bit longer - it takes 13 minutes to cross the fjord - departure every 20 to 30 minutes.

You might be able to spend 4 to 5 hours in Geiranger.

If you take a boat trip from Ålesund to Geiranger at 9 am you’ll have two hours in Geiranger and be back a 5 pm.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Absolutely possible - just note that the route include the ferry from Eidsdal to Linge. Might take a bit longer - it takes 13 minutes to cross the fjord - departure every 20 to 30 minutes.

If you take a boat trip from Ålesund to Geiranger at 9 am you’ll have two hours in Geiranger and be back a 5 pm.

I have seen a couple of these Geiranger RT from Alesund tours on the internet but they all stay in Geiranger for like 2-3 hours. We are in port from 8am-6pm so technically an 8:30am-5:30pm could work but the times are so tight.

Is there an easy and fast way to get back to Alesund immediately after docking in Geiranger (i.e. take the ferry one way and another means back)?

20 hours ago, hallasm said:

Thanks, I did see the boat tour but the times I am seeing leave at 8:30am which wouldn't work with our disembarkation time. I also thought the drive might be scenic and would allow us to not spend the entire day on the boat if we a combo of driving and a fjord but tour. But if anyone has insight on that I am open to suggestions!

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2023 at 1:21 PM, hallasm said:

Is there only one company that provides a boat tour from Alesund to Geiranger?