Enough time to fly to QM2?

MylesS

Hi all,

We're booked on the Queen Mary 2 for the 28th of July cruise to the Med. We were hoping to be on for the roundtrip transatlantic crossing before this as we're on the 3 week Independence Day cruise as well, but it seems sold out now so unable to book.

We looked at other Cunard trips and found a good deal on the Queen Elizabeth for Alaska! The only problem is it finishes on the 27th.. a day before we're due back on the Mary.

I know the "golden rule" of flying the day before, but for anyone who has flown from Seattle after a cruise, however I'd like to "try our luck" so to say. Does anyone have experience flying from Seattle after a cruise, and knows if it is possible to get an early-ish flight back to London?

Many thanks

Theoretically you can do it if you book on the direct BA flight at 1:35pm or Virgin at 4:25pm. And a taxi/car service from Heathrow to the port.

I would NEVER consider doing that.

I would sympathise with your insurer if they refused to pay out because you missed the sailing.

I would always want to be within easy distance of the port the night before.

Edited by D&N
  • Thanks 1

I should have said that it is nearly 25 years since we flew that route. It put me off long haul flights for life. It was part of an Anchorage-Seattle-Heathrow-Glasgow trip, which took about 24 hours.

I optimistically (stupidly) thought we might make an earlier connection at Heathrow and only checked the luggage to there. In reality we had no chance. Heathrow is a bit better these days with T5 but it's still much too risky.

• Thanks 1

Having spent 27 years in international sales, I would advise NO. I could only find 1 nonstop flight that might work and its tight. BA 8:00PM - 1:15PM. Since you would be flying west to east you would likely have the jet stream in your favor and likely land 30-45 minutes early. But you would still have to clear customs, gather your luggage and get to your transportation. Not much margin for problems. I definitely would not try a connecting flight, even though they would get you in much earlier. That's just tempting the airline gods too much.

Jack

• Thanks 1

@MylesS

Something that might work, but would add other complications, would be to disembark at Victoria the previous day and fly to London from there. It would need a connecting flight but would get you there a day earlier.

You might need permission from Canadian Immigration to do so and probably self disembark.

I think B.C. had problems with wild fires last year. I don't know if that disrupted air traffic, but there are so many risks to flying in on departure day I wouldn't go for it.

• Thanks 1

I don’t know what the air service is from Vancouver B.C. to London, but I can’t imagine disembarking in Vancouver, traveling to Seattle, and then flying to London in one day. There are 2 BA flights out of Seattle to London each day. I don’t think you get to London early enough to get to Southampton for boarding. @MylesS We’ll see you onboard the Independence Day cruise!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, techteach said:

I don’t know what the air service is from Vancouver B.C. to London, but I can’t imagine disembarking in Vancouver, traveling to Seattle, and then flying to London in one day. There are 2 BA flights out of Seattle to London each day. I don’t think you get to London early enough to get to Southampton for boarding. @MylesS We’ll see you onboard the Independence Day cruise!

Yes, M318 is sold out except the lower cabins. From Britannia Balcony to Grand Duplex SOLD OUT. The only open is on M318A the TA from SOU to NYC connected to the 4th of July Sailing with very little if any available. 

At one time M318 was removed from the schedule totally. Some may have cancelled and grabbed them up.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Completely agree, I think it does seem a bit too risky and a lot of extra work to disembark early.

Looks like we'll be spending our "down time" going to Orlando for Disney & Universal instead. I'm sure we'll do Alaska another time!

• Like 1

Having read the question from MylesS last week,it has got us thinking about our cruise.We we’re booked to fly on 22nd December to join QM2 to the Caribbean.Because there are always the risks of strikes etc.This morning we have rebooked for the day before.We will arrive JFK at 16.10.

My question is we would prefer to stay in Brooklyn , so it’s only a short taxi ride to the terminal on the 22nd.

I’m sure we can rely on our fellow cruisers to help.Also what sort of time would we be able to board.We are Happy Rowers.

Regards Lyn and Robbie

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Both @BklynBoy8and I (former Brooklyn resident and there often) have referred others to look at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge for your overnight stay. Check it out. 

It's a straight shot down Court Street to Hamilton to the Terminal Entrance. Or the BQE, 2 exits to Hamilton to the Terminal. 

Personal choice of where to stay.

This is IMHO....I would stay in Brooklyn where the Terminal is instead of crossing from Manhattan.

The Hilton in Brooklyn is pretty decent and much cheaper than staying in Manhattan.  It’s also near the subway with convenient links to Manhattan if you want to go there during your stay.

On 6/4/2023 at 3:41 AM, MylesS said:

Hi all,

We're booked on the Queen Mary 2 for the 28th of July cruise to the Med. We were hoping to be on for the roundtrip transatlantic crossing before this as we're on the 3 week Independence Day cruise as well, but it seems sold out now so unable to book.

We looked at other Cunard trips and found a good deal on the Queen Elizabeth for Alaska! The only problem is it finishes on the 27th.. a day before we're due back on the Mary.

I know the "golden rule" of flying the day before, but for anyone who has flown from Seattle after a cruise, however I'd like to "try our luck" so to say. Does anyone have experience flying from Seattle after a cruise, and knows if it is possible to get an early-ish flight back to London?

Many thanks

Queen Elizabeth will finish in Vancouver, it is 25 minutes to International Airport, have you checked any flights out that day be surprised if Air Canada had not a flight to London. We were at the airport a week ago and no problems from bush fires.    

1 hour ago, gentlemancruiser said:

There are no flights from Victoria BC to London.   You can fly from Vancouver to London.    Getting from Vancouver to Seattle isn't that quick.    

You can buy a connecting flight from Victoria BC to Heathrow. Some of the options were a change at Vancouver. The point was it would mean disembarking QE a day earlier, if it could be arranged, and therefore arriving in LHR a day earlier as well.

However it's immaterial as the OP in post #11 decided to book something else.