No USA Passport for Alaska cruise departing Vancouver

Not literally, but more of trying to plan ahead in case my passport does not arrive in the next 5 days. Please bare with me here. 

I sent away to get my USA passport renewed (quite awhile ago), since we are booked on a northbound one-way Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. I have yet to receive my passport back and embarkation day is quickly approaching. I am in a bind, and don't know what to do.

One thought I had is missing embarkation in Vancouver, and catching up with the ship at the first USA port of call (Ketchikan).

Vancouver's Canada Place cruise terminal states you go through US Customs boarding the ship since you are in US territory for the remainder of the cruise after departing Vancouver. You would think I would be able to board from the first USA port of call with a driver's license, original birth certificate?

Not looking for criticism here, just others' thoughts maybe based on their own experiences. I don't have travel insurance, I know I am at fault, I'm just trying to not lose out on a couple thousand dollars and enjoy some of the cruise. If you have ANY advice, please share. Thank you...

I honestly do not know if this would be allowed as you would not visit a foreign port which violates Passenger Services Act for foreign flagged ships. Thus, Vancouver exists. There have been mixed posts if this is allowed or not.

Can you reach a passport agency? Since you are within 14 days of sailing, they can issue you a passport.

I have also heard people have had good luck calling their US Congress/Senate rep.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You must be flying from Florida to Vancouver.  You will need a passport to enter Canada at the airport immigrations/border control.  Do you have a NEXUS card?  

Correct, original plans were to fly to Vancouver. If I chose to go to Ketchikan it would be via Seattle. I do not have a NEXUS card.

No passport, no entering into Canada. Sorry. You could fly from Seattle to Ketchikan and catch the ship however, you will have to leave the ship in a USA port. Entering back into Canada (Vancouver) from your cruise will require a passport.

Edited by DHP1

22 minutes ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Not literally, but more of trying to plan ahead in case my passport does not arrive in the next 5 days. Please bare with me here. 

I sent away to get my USA passport renewed (quite awhile ago), since we are booked on a northbound one-way Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. I have yet to receive my passport back and embarkation day is quickly approaching. I am in a bind, and don't know what to do.

One thought I had is missing embarkation in Vancouver, and catching up with the ship at the first USA port of call (Ketchikan).

Vancouver's Canada Place cruise terminal states you go through US Customs boarding the ship since you are in US territory for the remainder of the cruise after departing Vancouver. You would think I would be able to board from the first USA port of call with a driver's license, original birth certificate?

Not looking for criticism here, just others' thoughts maybe based on their own experiences. I don't have travel insurance, I know I am at fault, I'm just trying to not lose out on a couple thousand dollars and enjoy some of the cruise. If you have ANY advice, please share. Thank you...

If I were you, I would call the passport office in Orlando Monday morning and tell them your situation.  You need an emergency passport.  That is, if you are in Florida now.

https://www.thepassportoffice.com/orlando-passport-services.php

Have your information available and the passport application number, when in process etc.  So they can look it up.  Hopefully, this was a mail in application and not an online application. 

• Like 4

The airlines will deny you at check-in without a passport or NEXUS card for travel to Canada.  Need one or the other for entry to Canada via air.

Not sure if Princess would even allow you to board in Ketchikan because there wouldn't be a foreign stop between Ketchikan and Whittier, which would mean that you and Princess would be in violation of PVSA.

If you can swing it, you should look into getting an appointment for a same day passport at a passport office using imminent travel as a reason.

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

No passport, no entering into Canada. Sorry. You could fly from Seattle to Ketchikan and catch the ship however, you will have to leave the ship in a USA port. Entering back into Canada (Vancouver) from your cruise will require a passport.

He’s not re-entering Canada. He’s on a one-way to Whittier. I think he will run into PVSA issues for sure if he tries to embark in Ketchikan. It’s not like he “missed” the ship due to travel delays really. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theloo said:

I thought you could drive to Canada from US with just a birth certificate.

@Vinnyv20032003

I didn’t know that thanks. Not sure what “enhanced” drivers licence mean. 

Ensure that you have proper identification for you and your family readily available.
Acceptable forms of identification for entry into Canada include a passport, a NEXUS card and an enhanced driver's licence.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/checklist-aidememoire-eng.html#
Edited by DHP1

32 minutes ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

You wouldn’t be allowed to leave from one US port and return to another, that is a violation and you have to visit a foreign port.  You can call PCL and verify, with a supervisor.  

Best bet is to get to the passport office on Monday morning.  I gave you the link.

• Like 2

Just now, Vinnyv20032003 said:

I appreciate everyone's insight and advice, thank you 😊 👍

All the best and good luck. On Monday call the passport office. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Not re-entering Canada. Going from Ketchikan to Whittier violates Passenger Services Act.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Let us know!

Definitely contact your Congressional Representative or Senator's office first thing Monday. A friend recently was getting close to departure and had not received the passport after 12+ weeks. She called Senator Rubio's office and had it very shortly after.

Also, look into going to a passport office. There looks to be a place in Orlando and an official passport office in Miami (by appointment 7 am - 2 pm).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest ldtr
32 minutes ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Correct, original plans were to fly to Vancouver. If I chose to go to Ketchikan it would be via Seattle. I do not have a NEXUS card.

Boarding in Ketchikan and getting off in Whittier would not be allowed.  Violation of PVSA.

11 minutes ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

I will certainly keep everyone posted! Thank you again

Also, curious if anyone else has had similar experiences in the past (I hope not) and how it played out.

Someone on my recent cruise contacted their US Senator. I am not sure how far out but they did get their passports to them for that cruise.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

If you can be granted a same day passport appointment, make sure to have your ducks in a row.  Bring passport photos, birth certificate (not always needed if the passport office can find which office has your old passport), and a blank check/cash. 

I helped a friend get theirs same day and was amazed at how many people showed up unprepared.  I know that the State Department is really backed up, but the passport office is still doing you a favor.

• Like 3

Have you checked the status online to see where your passport is in the queue?  Would recommend that and if it doesn't show that it's in the mail already would definitely look into contacting the nearest passport office to get an emergency passport as others have suggested.

Edited by azbirdmom

5 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Have you checked the status online to see where your passport is in the queue?  Would recommend that and if it doesn't show that it's in the mail already would definitely look into contacting the nearest passport office to get an emergency passport as others have suggested.  Or flying into Seattle and finding a way via land (bus, car, etc.) to get to Vancouver.  You definitely can't fly there without a passport.

I think only (certain) closed loop cruises out of US do not require passports....... I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think only (certain) closed loop cruises out of US do not require passports....... I could be wrong.

Nope you are right.  Just checked the Princess website and yes, it would be OK if he was going to Alaska from Seattle or San Francisco... sorry about that

A valid passport book is required for all international itineraries including:

• Africa
  • Asia
  • Australia & New Zealand
  • Europe
  • India
  • Central and South America
  • Panama Canal (partial and full transit)
  • Caribbean (any sailings that visit Martinique or Guadeloupe)
  • South Pacific & Tahiti
  • World Cruises

If your cruise involves international air travel (including flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico) you will be required to present a valid passport when departing from or returning to the U.S. by air.

Domestic itineraries

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) governs acceptable travel documents for entry into the U.S. by sea from Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico or within the United States. We highly recommend a passport. We also require a passport for all guests in a travel party when minors are traveling with only one adult (21 years and older).† However, for U.S. and Canadian citizens/nationals on select itineraries a passport is not always required. In lieu of a passport book, these individuals must present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

• U.S. Passport Card
  • U.S. or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) (A REAL ID is not the same and doesn’t fulfill this requirement.)
  • U.S. or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)
  • NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports (for entry to Canada)
  • SENTRI (for entry to Mexico) and FAST cards
  • I-872 American Indian Card or Enhanced Tribal ID Card (ETC)

†We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more members to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

On select U.S. roundtrip (sometimes called “closed-loop”) voyages, U.S. citizens ages 16 and above may also travel with an original or certified copy U.S. birth certificate (or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization if foreign born) presented together with a valid U.S. government-issued photo identification. U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 15 and younger may travel with a birth certificate.

• Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco, Los Angeles or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)
  • Canada/New England roundtrip from New York
  • Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^, Galveston^ or New York (voyages that do not call to Martinque or Guadeloupe only)
  • Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, or Seattle
  • Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles, San Francisco or San Diego

^Voyages that call to Central or South America are excluded and only passports are accepted. All voyages that call to Martinique or Guadeloupe require a passport.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Have you checked the status online to see where your passport is in the queue?  Would recommend that and if it doesn't show that it's in the mail already would definitely look into contacting the nearest passport office to get an emergency passport as others have suggested.  Or flying into Seattle and finding a way via land (bus, car, etc.) to get to Vancouver.  You definitely can't fly there without a passport.

He would also need one to drive over the border. Additionally he would need to clear US customs at the port in Vancouver to board the ship and that would be easier with a passport.

19 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

He would also need one to drive over the border. Additionally he would need to clear US customs at the port in Vancouver to board the ship and that would be easier with a passport.

I edited my original post to remove that advice given the language on the Princess website.  It would be a huge risk to show up at Canada Place without a US Passport.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 1