Dining reservations on Explora

bitob

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

while a decent luxury line is like the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. 

Brings to mind a time when we flew places for a cruise. The Marco Polo would do "Bangkok, Bali, and Beyond" itineraries. We would do a 6 week from China to New Zealand. We were adventurous. Many times we would get off the ship, if an overnight, and book a villa at a FourSeasons just for the experience. Though very nice it did not compare to how we were treated on board the ship.

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We eagerly await our first cruise on EJ1 to see how it fits into our ideas of what luxury cruising should be.  

Hopefully it will not be a Caribbean cruise that stops at Ocean Cay. Wouldn't want you to have a 'conniption' over not being able to dine on a special menu for Residences only at Ocean House.

31 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Brings to mind a time when we flew places for a cruise. The Marco Polo would do "Bangkok, Bali, and Beyond" itineraries. We would do a 6 week from China to New Zealand. We were adventurous. Many times we would get off the ship, if an overnight, and book a villa at a FourSeasons just for the experience. Though very nice it did not compare to how we were treated on board the ship.

We are going off topic, but the Marco Polo was a favorite ship of ours :).  We cruised her in Asia and also out of Istanbul and loved every moment.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

Hopefully it will not be a Caribbean cruise that stops at Ocean Cay. Wouldn't want you to have a 'conniption' over not being able to dine on a special menu for Residences only at Ocean House.

I’m looking forward to the EJ inaugural Caribbean, which does include Ocean Cay. I’m anxious to be using the better beach without the ‘gen pop’.  Also curious how the menu will be modified at the on-shore ‘self-order’ buffet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

hewordrobe.com/aquavits-two-michelin-starred-chef-emma-bengtsson-announces-partnership-with-explora-i/?fbclid=IwAR2zZb54NkJO9C5WpvLUTubOt63IbOtS50C_JSxbj4clKICj6Rjwrpnw34w

The “t” was missing from the start of the URL:

https://thewordrobe.com/aquavits-two-michelin-starred-chef-emma-bengtsson-announces-partnership-with-explora-i/?

Back to the subject at hand - dining. I disagree that luxury lines like Oceania limit you to just one night in each specialty restaurant. We reserve one night in each one, but on the nights that we do not have a reservation. we walk in about 5-10 minutes past the hour or half hour (when most people are seated), and we are almost always able to be seated. Also, if you're in an executive lounge suite (not the most expensive suites - just median priced - the concierge will almost always be able to get you into extra nights in the specialties. This rigidity of policy seems to be unique to Explora and is not, in any way, consistent with what you'll find on luxury lines, which this one is certainly not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found another interesting quote :

"Unfortunately, there are also increasing reports from various passengers with different preferences about shortages of certain beverages and in certain bars, or even specific fruits at the buffet... Hmmm, not good.

Don't get me wrong, we're talking about first-world problems here, but sorry, the paying guests have also paid first-world prices."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pitts27mf said:

Back to the subject at hand - dining. I disagree that luxury lines like Oceania limit you to just one night in each specialty restaurant. We reserve one night in each one, but on the nights that we do not have a reservation. we walk in about 5-10 minutes past the hour or half hour (when most people are seated), and we are almost always able to be seated….. This rigidity of policy seems to be unique to Explora and is not, in any way, consistent with what you'll find on luxury lines, which this one is certainly not.

It is the exact same situation on Explora - we have a group of 5 and have tried our luck at both the specialties several times on the current voyage and been accommodated on all but one occasion 

So if you are so adamant that “this is certainly not” have you sailed on the line or just basing it on hearsay?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Our intrepid cruiser noted that Explora is running out of certain products, like coke zero, which he 'feels' the need to guard by placing the remaining cans in the stateroom safe or they might disappear.

I’m on this same cruise and I can tell you that not everything being stated by that poster is correct re shortages, or indeed a number of other things he raises - it may well be his experiences but it is certainly not the case universally 

One of our party requested Coke Zero in Fil Rouge two nights ago and was initially told no Coke Zero - she replied would you like to go and get it from my room fridge? - that was not required, the waiter went away and came back with Coke Zero for her - and it certainly wasn’t from her fridge

As I went though in post on one of these threads the other day many of the posters statements are incorrect but it seems some on here prefer the negative narrative rather than fact

Re fruits - here’s the fruit platter I had in Fil Rouge two nights ago - it’s not on the menu but they were more than willing to get it for me when I politely requested if one might be available - I’m not that familiar with fruit 😂😉 but I didn’t feel it reflected any shortages 

IMG_0801.thumb.jpeg.12a3b89cb0cc53cbba6f3b2ae5cf76a7.jpeg

I’m sure there are items out of stock or in short supply but let me assure you no one is starving and there are inevitably alternatives on offer. We’re close to completing a 16 night cruise in the Artic - not a lot of scope for re-provisioning - actually in two ports Explora off loaded large quantities of provisions which were donated to local charities - they didn’t make a big thing about it (even though some of us asked them to let fellow passengers know about it) - but actions usually speak louder than words 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I’m sure there are items out of stock or in short supply but let me assure you no one is starving and there are inevitably alternatives on offer. We’re close to completing a 16 night cruise in the Artic - not a lot of scope for re-provisioning

I’m sorry, but the ship is half full. If MSC - with all its experience - can’t provision correctly for a half full ship, I hate to think what things will be like when they start selling out. There’s just no excuse for this at Explora’s price point. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pitts27mf said:

Back to the subject at hand - dining. I disagree that luxury lines like Oceania limit you to just one night in each specialty restaurant. We reserve one night in each one, but on the nights that we do not have a reservation. we walk in about 5-10 minutes past the hour or half hour (when most people are seated), and we are almost always able to be seated. Also, if you're in an executive lounge suite (not the most expensive suites - just median priced - the concierge will almost always be able to get you into extra nights in the specialties. This rigidity of policy seems to be unique to Explora and is not, in any way, consistent with what you'll find on luxury lines, which this one is certainly not.

Happy it worked for you but this is most definitely NOT how it was when we were on board. If Oceania was a fantasy novel, it would be called "The Kingdom of No".

Same thing with Regent and read the Silversea boards where people have difficulty getting any reservations at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

we have a group of 5 and have tried our luck at both the specialties several times on the current voyage and been accommodated on all but one occasion 

We do not wish "to try our luck" paying these prices. Just looked up a one week cruise on Explora II for the week before Christmas and the Owners Suite is now $47,000 per person. We got the Owners Suite on Oceania Vista, another new ship for Spring Break for $10,000 per person. Your cruise has 450 passengers, 1/2 capacity and you are having these problems with having hired the industry's finest. We are booked on Explora for the Christmas/New Years cruises and expect a 'full house' full of problems ?

Edited by morpheusofthesea

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

One of our party requested Coke Zero in Fil Rouge two nights ago and was initially told no Coke Zero - she replied would you like to go and get it from my room fridge? - that was not required, the waiter went away and came back with Coke Zero for her - and it certainly wasn’t from her fridge

This is a prime example of NOT being a 5 star luxury line.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We do not wish "to try our luck" paying these prices

I don’t see them as problems - they’re very minor in the scheme of things and I always judge based on how they handle things. In this case they resolved it quickly without fuss or escalation 

I give everyone a chance to resolve issues - if they don’t then I’ll escalate it 

Of course you may approach things differently 

If you want a guaranty of no issues arising, on any line, then good luck for you. Are you suggesting such lines exist? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Happy it worked for you but this is most definitely NOT how it was when we were on board. If Oceania was a fantasy novel, it would be called "The Kingdom of No".

Same thing with Regent and read the Silversea boards where people have difficulty getting any reservations at all. 

Yes. But Dr. C, is this true of the same treatment for those of us in the top suites? We are just 'moving on up' and expected this when we sailed in steerage for 50 years. We have a great time and treated Royally in the Owners Suite and Royal Suites on MSC YC ships. We haven't a lot of time left and have every month booked for the next 2 years and hope to live long enough to enjoy. Dum Vivimus Vivamus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes. But Dr. C, is this true of the same treatment for those of us in the top suites? We are just 'moving on up' and expected this when we sailed in steerage for 50 years. We have a great time and treated Royally in the Owners Suite and Royal Suites on MSC YC ships. We haven't a lot of time left and have every month booked for the next 2 years and hope to live long enough to enjoy. Dum Vivimus Vivamus.

I can't say what applies for the grand suites ...

I was just responding to Pitts27mf's post which I felt held a lot of inaccuracies.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:28 PM, Stickman1990 said:

Coke Zero is back - if it ever actually left the building 

Back in Explorer lounge this afternoon and in suites

IMG_4624.thumb.jpeg.3bd7566b434db958a958e95b8afd4fe9.jpeg

IMG_4623.thumb.jpeg.4a68f883ad22308eca9a9d0e1edd9576.jpeg

Perhaps you should help out this gentleman. I believe you said you had drinks with him at one point. 

He just posted this: 

"As for the "Cokegate," may I call it that?

I promise, this will be the last chapter of this (of course first-world problem)...

Last evening, before returning to the ship, I received a message that there was Coke Zero available again on the ship... but upon returning to the ship, I unfortunately discovered that while there was indeed Diet Coke, there was no Coke Zero (i.e.Lobby Bar, Fil Rouge). This morning, wherever we asked on the ship, we were told they had "only" Diet Coke. My best half was full of hope...

So, I spoke with the responsible manager (F&B), and he assured me that while there was indeed freshly delivered Diet Coke on the ship since yesterday, there had been no Coke Zero available anymore (editors add: for more than a week now). So, if you happen to find Coke Zero anywhere on the ship, consider yourself lucky. For those wondering about the hype surrounding the different sugar-free varieties: they taste different. Some people swear by one type, others by the other. So, lets move on..."

P.S. So if you found some in your cooler, be a sport and gift it to this gentleman's wife.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

27 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Perhaps you should help out this gentleman. I believe you said you had drinks with him at one point. 

….

P.S. So if you found some in your cooler, be a sport and gift it to this gentleman's wife.

Mercy mission is underway now

IMG_4703.thumb.jpeg.0f8d74a5e44a77912e431c6ba540d3e9.jpeg