HIA question for solo travelers

cruisemom42

The only time I've ever had HIA is when it was added to my recent cruise as partial compensation for a substantial price drop. 

A friend who knows I travel solo on HAL asked me whether, if you are booking a cruise and having to pay the solo supplement (e.g., equivalent of two fares), AND you want the HIA, are you paying for two people to get it or do they pro-rate it for one person?

If it doesn't work out to add it in advance, what do the various components cost if purchased separately. For example, how much is the standard beverage package per day for one person, how much is internet (for one person) per day, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by cruisemom42

HIA is a all or nothing deal. Everyone in the cabin has to be in, or no one, so there is no opportunity to “share” benefits (and no HiA benefits are at the cabin level- they are all individual. We were not successful in trying to move excursion credit between cabinmates, both with HIA last year.

HIA and the CO supplement are about the only things that solos don't pay double for.

Check prices when you're booking. Usually the HIA fare is $50 per day above the "advantage fare." That's the fare that has a refundable deposit and does not come up in a search on the website--TAs can get it and tell you. That's how it worked out for the two cruises I have booked. For the cruise I took last winter, I added HIA after booking, and it was $50 per day. 

I always book advantage fare to have the refundable deposit. I don't know what the per day is if you add HIA to the lowest fare ("best price"?) with the nonrefundable deposit. But it shouldn't be double.

I don't know the costs of the components, but if you intend to buy internet, you need to have just a few drinks (including special coffees, canned water, etc) and use the dining and excursion credits to break even. If you aren't going to use internet, HIA isn't worth it IMO.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

HIA and the CO supplement are about the only things that solos don't pay double for.

Check prices when you're booking. Usually the HIA fare is $50 per day above the "advantage fare." That's the fare that has a refundable deposit and does not come up in a search on the website--TAs can get it and tell you. That's how it worked out for the two cruises I have booked. For the cruise I took last winter, I added HIA after booking, and it was $50 per day. 

I always book advantage fare to have the refundable deposit. I don't know what the per day is if you add HIA to the lowest fare ("best price"?) with the nonrefundable deposit. But it shouldn't be double.

I don't know the costs of the components, but if you intend to buy internet, you need to have just a few drinks (including special coffees, canned water, etc) and use the dining and excursion credits to break even. If you aren't going to use internet, HIA isn't worth it IMO.

Thanks for the clear explanation. I'll pass it along.

I found it annoying to have to use the shorex credits as I generally don't book them, but it was pretty easy to use/enjoy the other components. 

Celebrity, when their "Always Included" program was first introduced were charging double to solos because the cost was actually "included" as part of the fare. I think they've walked that back now, but it always pays to check...

After booking a "best price" cabin as the lowest possible fare (nonrefundable) for a solo, I later added HIA at a rate of $50 per day which is a typical per person rate. Did this on two cruises recently, 10-day and 7-day. [Note: If you try to purchase HIA on HAL's website and get a message you don't qualify, call HAL or try again later or try a different browser, based on my experience.] Also, as mentioned above Club Orange is available at the single rate for a solo. The Surf Wi-fi plan was priced a la carte at $15/day on HAL's website at the time I purchased HIA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just one more specific example.  I booked as a solo with the Early Booking HIA (refundable) included and paid exactly $50 per day more than the "Best Price" (non-refundable) fare would have been.  This Early Booking HIA included Elite Beverage Package, Premium Wi-Fi, Crew Appreciation, one Pinnacle Grill and one Canaletto, $200 shore ex credit and $200 OBC.  This was for a 2-week cruise on Zuiderdam in May 2024,

For me it was definitely cost effective!

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These links provide the costs

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/beverage-packages.html

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi.html

The level of the drinks/internet included in HIA do at times change but is most often Signature and Surf.

I believe an 18% service charge is added for the packages but not to the cost of HIA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nang said:

The level of the drinks/internet included in HIA do at times change but is most often Signature and Surf.

Yes, the only time I have seen HIA with the Elite beverage package and the upgraded wifi is in an early booking promo. Sometimes the early booking HIA includes crew appreciation, which is very nice.

• Like 2