I apologize in advance if TMI.☹️

I’m wondering if others have a problem with swelling feet and legs while cruising?

We are frequent cruisers and I don’t know what to do about this issue, it can be such misery sometimes.

I take prescription diuretics, I am a modest drinker and I try to stay hydrated with water.  I try to be careful with ordering food, no French Onion soup ☹️, etc.  But, at the end of the day, my legs and ankles are so swollen.  Is there a way to ask for lower sodium items?

Please someone tell me this is problem for others?

Deb

I didn't read through the entire Cruise Ankle post... But I had an issue with flying and cruising and worse if I had to fly to get to the cruise. 

Flying, without cruising, my legs and ankles would swell to the point I felt I looked like Minnie Mouse! and looked like Porky Pig if I flew and cruised  🤣😂🤣
My doctor told me to walk up and down the aisle often when flying. If too difficult to walk, do steps in place (high knees) near the restrooms. 

When cruising as others said, drink plenty of water... But I only drink bottled water. I don't go out of my way to add ice, drinks I ask for little ice, and food dishes, I ask for sauce on the side... 

I haven't looked like Minnie or Porky since 😄

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 3

I have an issue with swollen a foot and ankle, too.  However, mine isn't related to my eating habits.  I've experimented and experimented and it always boils down to the type of chairs I sit in for much too long.  The harder and straighter up the back of the chair, the more swollen my feet and ankles get.  My recliner which is overstuffed, I've never had a problem with.  If I sit at the kitchen table with the hard bottom seats and the backs almost vertical, I'm swollen in no time at all.  But, I've never had, I'm lucky I guess, the swollen feet and ankles so bad that it caused any degree of pain or discomfort, it just looks bad and usually most obvious in my right leg and that's the leg I've had a total knee replacement, related or not, I don't know.  

16 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

My doctor told me to walk up and down the aisle often when flying

Doctors say this, but it's really not realistic.  If the seatbelt sign is on, you can't get up.  Plus, other people might want to get up and if there is beverage service going on, it will be hard to walk.  I think compression socks are the best answer.  I don't have this problem when flying.  I will see if I have this problem when cruising, because I think I detected a bit of it last time.

• Like 1

We always order "lower sodium" meals, even French Onion soup.  It is usually arranged with the waiter the night before  - they show us the menu and we order in advance for the following night..

• Like 1

I’m currently seeing a vein doctor about this issue. Never had a problem till I delivered a child. Exited the hospital not able to get my feet in my shoes.

Doc says this is more common in women than men. Heat makes it worse.

More common in left leg than right.

Had an ultrasound and I’ve got blood vessels that cross that shouldn’t (common)

Next step is a cat scan. 

When I’m at home lounging in the recliner I have beautiful ankles. You can see the tendons even. Sitting, standing, walking they swell

Tried all sorts of elimination diets. No effect

2 hours ago, moposh said:

Doctors say this, but it's really not realistic.  If the seatbelt sign is on, you can't get up.  Plus, other people might want to get up and if there is beverage service going on, it will be hard to walk.  I think compression socks are the best answer.  I don't have this problem when flying.  I will see if I have this problem when cruising, because I think I detected a bit of it last time.

That is why I said if not possible, stand by the restrooms and do high steps in place... 

Obviously if the seatbelt sign is on, you have to wait.

But it has helped me when just flying. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 8:44 PM, TinkBellaMom said:

I’m wondering if others have a problem with swelling feet and legs while cruising?

We are frequent cruisers and I don’t know what to do about this issue, it can be such misery sometimes.

I take prescription diuretics, I am a modest drinker and I try to stay hydrated with water.  I try to be careful with ordering food, no French Onion soup ☹️, etc.  But, at the end of the day, my legs and ankles are so swollen.  Is there a way to ask for lower sodium items?

Please someone tell me this is problem for others?

Deb

I had the same problem in Jan of this year on the Harmony. I drank bottled water, but did drink iced tea and lemonade made from the ship’s water. I was told the desalination process uses salt in the process. I asked my Dr about this and she confirmed that could very well be the reason why my ankles and feet blew up daily by around 5 pm. I’m not a large woman and don’t usually retain fluid like that. Hasn’t happens since we were off this ship. It will be interesting to see if it happens in Nov when we sail again.

14 hours ago, Painter4me said:

I was told the desalination process uses salt in the process.

Now this makes sense.  If there is a bit of salt in the water, then people might drink more water than usual because of the sun/swimming/walking/heat.   So maybe another help would be tell the dining you are on a low salt diet.