Sicilian Splendors - docking location questions

SunnyNy

This will be my first Windstar cruise and I'm deciding on plans for either ship excursions, DIY, or private tours.  I'd like to know how close Wind Surf docks to the various city centers at the ports of Catania, Valletta, Gozo, Porto Empedocle and Trapani.  I see some ship excursions are just a few hours, and I was hoping to spend the remaining time in the ports before boarding.  Any other advice or recommendations are welcomed!

Valletta is totally walkable (to an elevator which takes you up to the city center, as I recall). At Porto Empedocle you'll want to take the excursion to the ruins -- that's what that stop is all about. Not sure about the others.

2 hours ago, avalong said:

Valletta is totally walkable (to an elevator which takes you up to the city center, as I recall). At Porto Empedocle you'll want to take the excursion to the ruins -- that's what that stop is all about. Not sure about the others.

Thanks.  This is helpful.

Catania: Docking in the old port area, close to town center and a fantastic outdoor market. Catania is a lovely old town. The town square it beautiful with the cathedral, great art, Bellini, the opera composer crypt is there with the notes from his most famous aria from the opera Norma, Casta Diva. We have always had a driver there through Sicily Life, wonderful people and our guide Luca we have had twice. We fell in love with him. They listen to your interests. We are interested in art, ruins, food, opera all things Italian. We did Catania with him and Siracusa and the Greek/ Roman ruins. Two different cruises with WS.

Trapani: We have been there twice once on our own and once on Sicilian Splendors. We took a cab to the funicular to go up to Erice exceptional vistas, then you can cab it up to Erice or walk. Madame Gramatica's pastry shop is up there a must. Made famous by the book Bitter Almonds by Mary Taylor Simeti, fabulous book and story. Trapani has a very pretty port to walk around as well. 

Valletta: We hired a guide through Tours by Locals, Michelle, very good. I wanted to be the first into the cathedral to see Caravaggio's The  Beheading of  St. Jerome, one of the most influential pieces of art in the Western World. She took us to the ancient town of Rabat and Medina fascinating, the waterfront of Valletta is beautiful. Need cabs or a driver there

Gozo: We took WS's 4x4 so much fun, beautiful, we had a dip/ swim there

Port Empedocle Cabs can easily get you to the Valley of the Kings ( Greek Temples ) the small museum is a jewel and a must. The port is very real and gritty.

We loved that trip, great itinerary very beautiful. We booked it 2020, 2021, had to cancel Covid went in September/ October 2022. Ask away we loved every second. 

23 hours ago, Strenz said:

Catania: Docking in the old port area, close to town center and a fantastic outdoor market. Catania is a lovely old town. The town square it beautiful with the cathedral, great art, Bellini, the opera composer crypt is there with the notes from his most famous aria from the opera Norma, Casta Diva. We have always had a driver there through Sicily Life, wonderful people and our guide Luca we have had twice. We fell in love with him. They listen to your interests. We are interested in art, ruins, food, opera all things Italian. We did Catania with him and Siracusa and the Greek/ Roman ruins. Two different cruises with WS.

Trapani: We have been there twice once on our own and once on Sicilian Splendors. We took a cab to the funicular to go up to Erice exceptional vistas, then you can cab it up to Erice or walk. Madame Gramatica's pastry shop is up there a must. Made famous by the book Bitter Almonds by Mary Taylor Simeti, fabulous book and story. Trapani has a very pretty port to walk around as well. 

Valletta: We hired a guide through Tours by Locals, Michelle, very good. I wanted to be the first into the cathedral to see Caravaggio's The  Beheading of  St. Jerome, one of the most influential pieces of art in the Western World. She took us to the ancient town of Rabat and Medina fascinating, the waterfront of Valletta is beautiful. Need cabs or a driver there

Gozo: We took WS's 4x4 so much fun, beautiful, we had a dip/ swim there

Port Empedocle Cabs can easily get you to the Valley of the Kings ( Greek Temples ) the small museum is a jewel and a must. The port is very real and gritty.

We loved that trip, great itinerary very beautiful. We booked it 2020, 2021, had to cancel Covid went in September/ October 2022. Ask away we loved every second. 

Strenz, thanks so much.  I'm especially glad to hear about Catania, as I was hoping to spend some time in town.  In Gozo, did you take the ship excursion on the 4/4?