Curtain between bed and sofa

Mary229

Hi everyone,  does anyone have a method for hanging a curtain between the bed and sofa.   We are three in a family OV on the Rotterdam next year and a separating curtain would be ideal.  I have viewed the room on Halfacts and YouTube and note there is not one there.  Is the ceiling magnetic?  Any suggestions? Thank you 

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/1169-rotterdam/

Easy to accomplish with a few clicks on Amazon!  Buy magnets and a lightweight, grommeted curtain panel.  Place the magnets on the cabin ceiling next to the couch. Hang curtain, adjust as needed.

Oh, and magnets work great on walls and door, here's a pic of my organizer (hats, visors, sunscreen, glasses, etc).

20230220_142719.jpg

• Like 3

Hi, Mary229,

Everything I have heard and viewed about most cruise ships is that magnets work on walls so I would assume that ceilings would also. You could ask your travel agent or HAL to check on that. HAL may have curtains available as well. It would not hurt to ask.

Jim

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Princess has curtains when you get a suite. Holland America should include them too. Especially when your wife is a night owl.

They used to have them and they have slowly disappeared.  

• 4 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 2:06 PM, julia said:

Easy to accomplish with a few clicks on Amazon!  Buy magnets and a lightweight, grommeted curtain panel.  Place the magnets on the cabin ceiling next to the couch. Hang curtain, adjust as needed.

Oh, and magnets work great on walls and door, here's a pic of my organizer (hats, visors, sunscreen, glasses, etc).

20230220_142719.jpg

Hi Julia.  I too am bringing an organizer like yours pictured here.  Are those hooks suction cups or magnetic?  We plan to be on the Koningsdam.  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 2:31 PM, Sea-n-Ease said:

Hi Julia.  I too am bringing an organizer like yours pictured here.  Are those hooks suction cups or magnetic?  We plan to be on the Koningsdam.  Thanks!

Hi:  that organizer worked really well.. five pockets, mesh.  Held on door by magnets with hooks, on Koningsdam.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 2:39 PM, Mary229 said:

Thanks everyone, I have magnet hooks so if they stick to ceilings we should be good to go.  Since I have plenty of time I might send them a message

Keep in mind that there is only one air conditioner vent in the ceiling and it would be inboard from the curtain you plan to hang. If your curtain crosses the whole room, you may find the outboard portion of the room could get warmer than desired (assuming you are sailing to a warm destination) when you have the curtain fully extended.  Just something to be aware of.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:21 PM, landlocked12 said:

Mary is right.  Our minisuite on the Crown Princess did not have a curtain. 

They are returning. On the Majestic Princess (much newer ship than Crown our minisuite had one. I was surprised.

Edited by sunviking90

On 10/16/2023 at 1:24 AM, AFNavigator said:

Keep in mind that there is only one air conditioner vent in the ceiling and it would be inboard from the curtain you plan to hang. If your curtain crosses the whole room, you may find the outboard portion of the room could get warmer than desired (assuming you are sailing to a warm destination) when you have the curtain fully extended.  Just something to be aware of.

Good point, and also for heat in cooler environments.

However, a solution IF the walls are magnetic but ceilings aren't (is this a thing?) would also work a bit for the air circulation and privacy.  Hang a line with curtain hooks from the top of a wall to the top of the opposite wall.  One can't keep it too tight, or the magnets wouldn't be strong enough.  But there should be enough tension to keep the curtain 'up', albeit sagging a bit towards the middle.  Bring a very light weight fabric shower curtain along (or air circulation will be even more of a problem).

That should work, unless there is someone in an upper bunk who decides to throw spitballs or whatever (and if you've got someone like that in your group/family, you probably have more serious issues to deal with! 😡).

As for those pesky "throw pillows", YUCK!

At least most ships (and also nicer hotels) have moved on from the Brightly Colored Patterned Bedspreads That Don't Get Washed Except Maybe On Leap Years (or!?? 😱), and now used white duvet covers (or at least white sheets above/below a white comforter (but actual duvet covers are MUCH better!).  Those colors/patterns are there specifically to hide, er, "crud".

IF there are bedspreads, we almost kick them off the bed first thing, into a corner, and ask housekeeping to REMOVE it/them from the room until our stay is over.

And we do the same with those "Throw Thingies".  Just "take 'em away, please!"

We've never had an argument.  It's probably easier for them than trying to find and replace those items, morning after morning after morning...

(They've never put them into any usable drawer-space or such.  Sometimes we noticed them stuffed on a top shelf of a closet, so we've started asking that they remove them from the room entirely.  We just want those things ... gone!  A small tip at the time of the request never hurts, with that or with other requests! 😉 )

GC