Ketchikan--Saxman Totem Park or Totem Bight Park?

bookmomoftwins

Saxman has a tribal dance element and pole carving demonstration that we didn't see at Totem Bight. The dance was included in the $5(?) Saxman admission fee and the pole carving was part of a separate paid tour.  Other than that, the two parks are very similar and I recommend touring both. You can visit both parks on the same day, but we split them across separate visits. There's also the Ketchikan Totem Heritage Center a little bit behind downtown, in easy walking distance from the ship.

• Like 1

After reading recent reviews this morning, I think I would much rather go to Totem Bight-- is it best to do an excursion so that we get more education / background information, or are there guides on site to learn from?

Totem Bight was awesome.  We initially wanted to use the shuttle bus but the lines were long and people were having to stand on the bus- the ride is approximately 20 minutes.  We hired a cab at $100/hour and went to Totem Bight, Wal Mart (niece forgot her rain boots), and Creek Street.  It was nice and we learned quite a bit about Ketchikan.  

The Totem Bight gift shop is local and has lots of affordable, indigenous art! It also has one room museum that was interesting.  WalMart also has great t-shirts, bags, and gloves/hats/scarves!

• Like 2

I'm considering Totem Bight for our upcoming cruise. Can anyone comment on taking the bus? Someone above mentioned a shuttle but I'm guessing they mean the silver line bus? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I'm also wondering about how easy it is to get on the bus? Are their long lines? We're considering the 7:26am bus (if we can get off the ship in time). 

Any info/tips on taking the bus to/from Totem Bight is greatly appreciated!

We took the bus to both sites last year. It was very easy. We went to Saxman on one cruise and Totem Bight on a separate cruise. One of our fellow passengers visited both sites on the same day and wrote about it here on Cruise Critic:

Or look for this CruiseCritic topic: 

2855743-royal-princess-may-28-2022-alaska-northbound-live-report

He covers Saxman well, with photos and all in post #87 and Totem Bight in #88. He was on the bus to Saxman with us, but caught the very next bus to Totem Bight. We stayed in Saxman for the tribal dance and the narrated tour. After we were done in Saxman, we caught the bus back to downtown and spent the remainder of the day there on Creek Street and in the downtown area.

I'm sure you've googled the bus schedule and fare. The bus runs every hour and costs $2 each way. It picks up and drops off near the Visitors Bureau on Front Street. There was plenty of room on the bus and the schedule is posted at Saxman and Totem Bight as well. If you tell the bus driver where you want to go, they'll help you get to the right stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1